“I expect more from "W" hotels than gimmicks”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
New York City
“I expect more from "W" hotels than gimmicks”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I would not give this hotel a bad rating, as it meets basic (definitely not exceptional) standards for cleanliness and service. It was overpriced, the pricing seemingly based on the pretense that you are staying in a cool, loftlike environment. In fact, this is a poorly executed gimmick and not worth the extra money. In fact, my room was smaller than most US hotel rooms I stay when traveling on business. The bathroom sink is the first thing to greet you as soon as you open the door and the toilet is behind a ½ wall. The magazine display made me feel like I was in a doctor’s office. Also, there is no restaurant in the hotel. As an additional aside, though I am a dog lover, there were just too many dogs in the hotel and it made me wonder who was laying all over my bed and blanket the night before I checked in.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank travelerinbklyn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Beware about the disorganized service of the front desk. Due to a mistake in their computer, they listed my room as Vacant. At 2am, another guest enters my room. Luckily I had the bar on the door, but the sound of someone repeatedly trying to force entry was terrifying to say the least. It takes 3 tries before I can get a hold of management. When I do, they have a laundry list of excuses. I'm not stupid, I understand this was an honest mistake. Specific details of their computer system are irrelevant and I want to know what Aloft is going to do to make it right. I ask for that night to be comped and they give the excuse that since I booked through a Hotels dot com, they can't refund me. Instead they give me some measly "reward points". So beware of booking through a third party site or booking this hotel in the first. This wasn't a simple, they didn't have enough towels. A google search shows that this happened at another Aloft hotel. They double book rooms and do not properly compensate for it. Chapel Hill has several other hotels at the same price point that have no history of other guests entering your room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank L C
efleishaker, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Hello L C,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We aim to provide all guests with helpful and welcoming service, and I apologize that you encountered an unfortunate experience. I encourage you to reach out to our General Manager at caesar.swift@aloftchapelhill.com to further investigate the issue. We would like to learn more about your specific situation to provide additional assistance and prevent this from occurring in the future. I appreciate your feedback and apologize again for any and all inconveniences.
Green Cove Springs, Florida
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We lived right down the street from this hotel in Meadowmont Apartments in 2010/11 so never had need for a hotel in the area. However, we always admired this hotel and wondered what it was like. We typically stay in budget hotels, but on a recent trip to Chapel Hill, decided to splurge a bit for my husband's birthday and stay in Aloft for two nights, our first Aloft experience. What a treat! The rooms were euro-urban chic with excellent high-def flat-screen. Shower was great, as were the yummy smelling toiletry items. Loved that it was pet-friendly with no additional pet fee. Beds were very comfy with luxurious linens (how do they keep everything so white?!) One small surprise was that there are no microwaves in the room. We had brought food along with us as we were coming from my mother's (and moms always send you away with food, right?!) There are mini-fridges but no way to heat up food. We requested one and were brought one, but there are no guarantees of this -- the hotel was not busy when we were there, so we were lucky. We are not used to paying for parking at hotels, so the additional $8 daily was a surprise, but the extra security was nice since we had our bicycles in our car. Our room faced the road, so there was some road noise from Hwy 54, especially in the morning. Earplugs were a must since we're light sleepers. Other than that, the hotel was very quiet inside; we hardly knew there were any other guests. Overall a very positive experience -- almost, but not quite, five-star (would have given 4.5 if that were an option).

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room facing the south if possible to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at the Aloft Chapel Hill for two nights on a business trip. I found the hotel very clean and friendly. The location was ideal - just of the Interstate and about 15 min drive from RDU. Rooms were up to normal Aloft standard and comfortable. Free internet / New Gym equipment and nice (small) indoor pool. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance and you can get the normal US style Sports Bar as well as more exotic fare including an Indian and Italian Restaurants. Will use again - for sure!

Room Tip: I got a good deal here with Hotwire - opted for twin Queen beds and saved a few $$
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Hello chrisleighbrowne,
Thank you for your review. I’m happy you were able to enjoy the convenient location and comfortable accommodations of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Aloha!

We re-visited the Aloft Chapel Hill as we returned to the area for the Thanksgiving holiday.

When I checked the website to make my reservation, it showed that there were no rooms, but I called the property directly they were able to secure us a room over Thanksdiving weekend.

We checked in late in the evening on Thanksgiving and the process took less than a minute. Our room was exactly as we expected it to be and considering we were close to the elevator bays, very quiet.

I love the humungous TV, I love the soft lights over each bed, I love the huge shower, I'm pretty much loving the whole Aloft experience.

There's an $8 charge to park, so you might as well Valet. The bonus is that you can call down before you leave and they'll have your car pulled up, heater on and ready to go when you get down there.

Most hotels these days are comfortable beds, decent cable and a complimentary bottle of water in the room.

The Aloft Chapel Hill has genuinely friendly, helpful and competant staff. That's what makes this special.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi RuthlessBunny,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience at our hotel and were able to interact with our wonderful team. We hope you stay with us again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel tries hard to give off a cool vibe with the concrete floors, tablets and bar. But the service was only fair. If you had a car somewhere in the same zip code, you had to pay $8 for it. While they make a big deal of being dog-friendly, we were told there were no dog beds available and had to bug people to get a few milk bones and non-matching bowls. But at least there was no pet fee. that was very good. The bar area was fun; the front desk guys were great, but the lady there on the 30th of Nov. was rude to my 18-year old daughter who asked for some assistance. i know it was a busy weekend, but I have never gotten rude services at a Marriott. Glad my Starwood points are used up. Good location near 15/501.

Room Tip: Was on second floor due to pet. Could smell the pets in the hallway.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Hickory, NC
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Love the Aloft for UNC games. Great location , easy assess to campus . Fun sports bar next door as well as excellent Indian and Asian restaurants within 100 yards as well as good Italian- Piola.
Rooms are clean , nice and very European . Roomy as well. Staff nice , good hotel bar. Tiny indoor pool.
For the location and quality of room, very good value.

• Stayed November 2013
Hi skinisin,
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit. I’m pleased to hear you enjoy staying at the hotel during UNC games and have been able to take advantage of the surrounding area. Aloft Chapel Hill is conveniently located near numerous restaurants and activities. We invite you back to continue exploring the exciting local area.