“Make sure you speak up if you don't want to room next to dogs!”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I will preface by saying I am a dog lover and have several. At a recent stay we booked 4 rooms to attend a family funeral. (no dogs with us) 3 of the rooms were surrounded by dogs - which is ok if you are up for the yipping and barking. But not ok if you have family members with allergies and asthma. After the red swollen eyes, sneezing and headaches, we finally put two and two together. I spoke kindly to the staff at the front desk and recommended they inform their guests giving them an option to have a room away from animals. Their response was to offer me something free for breakfast.

The hotel was modern, staff friendly, and offering some of the best/healthy breakfast purchase items I ever seen in a hotel lobby

Room Tip: If you have any allergies, be sure and ask for a room that has never had dogs or cats, and to be on...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cmem

Reviewed 9 January 2014

If you have not tried an Aloft hotel, I highly recommend that you do. Smart and modern, it is not your typical, stuffy, hotel. But it has excellent and well thought-out service that is perfect for a busy traveler. The rooms are spacious and modern with lots of nice touches. It is really the perfect place to rest and wake fresh after a busy day. The Chapel Hill Aloft is a great example of the chain.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel is dog-friendly, centrally located, and new and clean. I don't think there was anything bad about our stay here, and I would definitely stay here again if I'm in the area.

At first we were worried that we would be required to use the valet parking option, but self-park is free and convenient.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
efleishaker, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hi USA_Super_Traveler,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience at our hotel and took advantage of our convenient location. We strive to provide a welcoming environment for all, including any four-legged friends. We hope you stay with us again!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I would not give this hotel a bad rating, as it meets basic (definitely not exceptional) standards for cleanliness and service. It was overpriced, the pricing seemingly based on the pretense that you are staying in a cool, loftlike environment. In fact, this is a poorly executed gimmick and not worth the extra money. In fact, my room was smaller than most US hotel rooms I stay when traveling on business. The bathroom sink is the first thing to greet you as soon as you open the door and the toilet is behind a ½ wall. The magazine display made me feel like I was in a doctor’s office. Also, there is no restaurant in the hotel. As an additional aside, though I am a dog lover, there were just too many dogs in the hotel and it made me wonder who was laying all over my bed and blanket the night before I checked in.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank travelerinbklyn
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Beware about the disorganized service of the front desk. Due to a mistake in their computer, they listed my room as Vacant. At 2am, another guest enters my room. Luckily I had the bar on the door, but the sound of someone repeatedly trying to force entry was terrifying to say the least. It takes 3 tries before I can get a hold of management. When I do, they have a laundry list of excuses. I'm not stupid, I understand this was an honest mistake. Specific details of their computer system are irrelevant and I want to know what Aloft is going to do to make it right. I ask for that night to be comped and they give the excuse that since I booked through a Hotels dot com, they can't refund me. Instead they give me some measly "reward points". So beware of booking through a third party site or booking this hotel in the first. This wasn't a simple, they didn't have enough towels. A google search shows that this happened at another Aloft hotel. They double book rooms and do not properly compensate for it. Chapel Hill has several other hotels at the same price point that have no history of other guests entering your room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank L C

Hello L C,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We aim to provide all guests with helpful and welcoming service, and I apologize that you encountered an unfortunate experience. I encourage you to reach out to our General Manager at caesar.swift@aloftchapelhill.com to further investigate the issue. We would like to learn more about your specific situation to provide additional assistance and prevent this from occurring in the future. I appreciate your feedback and apologize again for any and all inconveniences.

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We lived right down the street from this hotel in Meadowmont Apartments in 2010/11 so never had need for a hotel in the area. However, we always admired this hotel and wondered what it was like. We typically stay in budget hotels, but on a recent trip to Chapel Hill, decided to splurge a bit for my husband's birthday and stay in Aloft for two nights, our first Aloft experience. What a treat! The rooms were euro-urban chic with excellent high-def flat-screen. Shower was great, as were the yummy smelling toiletry items. Loved that it was pet-friendly with no additional pet fee. Beds were very comfy with luxurious linens (how do they keep everything so white?!) One small surprise was that there are no microwaves in the room. We had brought food along with us as we were coming from my mother's (and moms always send you away with food, right?!) There are mini-fridges but no way to heat up food. We requested one and were brought one, but there are no guarantees of this -- the hotel was not busy when we were there, so we were lucky. We are not used to paying for parking at hotels, so the additional $8 daily was a surprise, but the extra security was nice since we had our bicycles in our car. Our room faced the road, so there was some road noise from Hwy 54, especially in the morning. Earplugs were a must since we're light sleepers. Other than that, the hotel was very quiet inside; we hardly knew there were any other guests. Overall a very positive experience -- almost, but not quite, five-star (would have given 4.5 if that were an option).

Room Tip: I'd ask for a room facing the south if possible to avoid road noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed at the Aloft Chapel Hill for two nights on a business trip. I found the hotel very clean and friendly. The location was ideal - just of the Interstate and about 15 min drive from RDU. Rooms were up to normal Aloft standard and comfortable. Free internet / New Gym equipment and nice (small) indoor pool. There are several restaurants within easy walking distance and you can get the normal US style Sports Bar as well as more exotic fare including an Indian and Italian Restaurants. Will use again - for sure!

Room Tip: I got a good deal here with Hotwire - opted for twin Queen beds and saved a few $$
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Hello chrisleighbrowne,
Thank you for your review. I’m happy you were able to enjoy the convenient location and comfortable accommodations of our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again!