“Great nearby restaurant”
Review of Aloft Chapel Hill

Aloft Chapel Hill
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This is a typical Aloft hotel, with comfortable rooms, friendly service, a pool table for fun at night, and valet parking. Right next door is an excellent restaurant. Don't let the "Sports Cafe" name fool you -- this place has serious chefs in the kitchen, with local ingredients and good beer. Between the hotel and the restaurant, we had a very good visit.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hello Stephen B,
Thank you for your review. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your most recent visit to Aloft Chapel Hill and were able to take advantage of the surrounding area. With numerous activities and attractions nearby the hotel, it’s easy to find a great bite or refreshing drink in addition to a memorable day or night in Chapel Hill. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stated at this hotel on a visit to UNC Chapel Hill. I rated them so high because I absolutely love Alofts. Had it been any other chain, I would have rated them average. The location is in close proximity to the campus, and it's easy to get to Franklin Street. The room was awesome; the service was fine-nothing spectacular; I wasn't a fan of the $10/night parking fee for self parking. I will stay again if I'm ever back in Chapel Hill.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed a couple of night during an interview at the UNC Chapel Hill. Was just a few minutes away from the university. It was located in the routes of free Chapel Hill's transportation. The room have a different look. The shower was big and comfortable. I really liked the liquid shampoo and body wash because they were very easy to use. The room have a safe for personal items. It includes two bottles of water for night. The beds were comfortable but they were "doubles" not queen. The TV includes a box were you can plug your video games/computer with HDMI, VGA...Additionally, what I most enjoyed of the stay was that the staff gave an excellent service, especially Corey in the front desk.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Hi Ricardo_Rivera2014,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m happy you chose Aloft Chapel Hill for your visit, as we are only minutes away from campus. I appreciate your feedback regarding the easy-to-use features and amenities, in addition to the helpful team we have at the hotel. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 March 2014

I found myself here for a weekend in March when my girlfriend had to be in Chapel Hill for a nearby conference.
In terms of proximity, it's a short, ten minute cab ride into town; or a longer walk, if the weather is nice and you're feeling up for it. For convention-goers, it's rather close as well and walkable.
Upon arriving, I found that the lobby regularly hosts a dj night. Honestly, I found it pretty obnoxious. I'm not used to having to yell at the front desk staff to ask questions and communicate with them. It is unpleasant and impractical. It was too loud. Period. There's really no need…ever… for a dj in the lobby. It is not a club. There's no dance floor (thank god). And if you're shooting for the whole loungey vibe, then a good, mellow cd will do nicely. Not a full on welcome-to-our-hotel-aural-banghra-assault. Not a good first impression.
Not that they can help it, as it's a corporate design decision, but I found the front desk to be a bit odd. It's a small circular, two-person apparatus. I felt bad for the two gentlemen forced to share about five cubic feet of space. And from a guest's perspective; it does not inspire the confidence that I have their full attention; when there is no order or line and when anyone can just walk up to any part of this weird circular desk and ask for attention; thereby interrupting my check-in process.
The lobby also has a bar. It's small, but adequate and they seem to have pretty decent drink prices.
The whole place is a bit over the top neon and bright. It's not my style, as it doesn't relax me. But that's one man's opinion.
The rooms themselves were done in a similar vein, but not quite as bright and attention grabbing. In a good way though. I found the room comfortable, with all available space well utilized. Kudos to housekeeping too, as the place was spotless. The beds were comfortable. The closets were a nice design. There's a nice big tv for when you feel like lazing around. Free wifi was another appreciated amenity; though honestly, it's rather stupid of a hotel NOT to have it in this day and age. So I won't give too much credit for that. Thanks for doing what everyone should be smart enough to do, I guess. Also, even though the room faced the street outside, I really didn't hear much of the traffic. We weren't up high, either. So…sound insulation. A good thing.
The shower door leaked copious amounts of water. I called down to have it resolved, but it was not attended to. I did mistakenly leave a "do not disturb" sign on the door, but I mean…. I called the desk. I told them "I will be leaving in ten minutes. Anytime after that, you may enter and fix the shower door problem". Really, it took about four towels to sop up all the water that leaked out. That's a lot of water. Probably around a gallon or so. Instead, they brought me new towels. So they entered my room to give me replacement towels….but they were too lazy to remove the old towels and fix the problem? That is inexcusable.
The shower itself was lovely. The water pressure was wonderful and I found the little body wash and shampoo/conditioner wall pumps to be much less of a hassle than having to fiddle with some minuscule bottle and then ask for more later on. Not to mention it saves plastic and packaging. At first, I thought "Jesus…. a shampoo/conditioner combination? Like Head and Shoulders? Cheap." But it wasn't that bad, actually. Though if I was finicky, I wouldn't be terribly impressed.
The front desk staff were half and half, in terms of attitude. For amenities left at home, they had toothbrushes, but not deodorant. About half the people I encountered, either by phone or in person were very friendly and helpful. One guy I spoke with (I didn't get anyone's name) was just sort of stone-faced and looked as though he didn't particularly want to be there. Not that I ask for the cheerfulness of a waiter at Fridays or anything. But maybe crack a smile and say hello, like the others are doing.
The gentlemen (and ladies) in valet were always very pleasant and helpful.
All in all, I was not terribly impressed with my stay. I'd tell someone to explore their options pretty well before staying here. I probably would not return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaptainAwethume
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Nice place overall. The WXYZ bar in the lobby has a couple good draft beers on tap and all of the premium liquor brands available. They also have some nice specials on the drink prices. The rooms are very nice, especially the beds which are very comfortable. My only complaint is the street noise was very loud even though I was on the 6th floor. Honestly this did cause me to loose a little bit of sleep. Overall though I would be willing to stay here again because of the great ambiance and amenities.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hi BirdtownRep,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I’m glad you had a positive stay and were able to grab a drink at our w xyz bar. I’m sorry to hear that the street noise was loud for you, and apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused. We hope to see you next time you’re in town!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

I had not heard of Aloft before rushing off to a gathering in Chapel Hill. Turns out it is stylish and friendly in its layout. I would have enjoyed staying there by myself. The room was smaller than some hotels, but because it was well designed, it didn't bother me. I loved the factory-turned-loft feel with colorful decorations. I didn't get a chance to try out the nice looking bar, but the food options in the lobby for snacks or breakfast were great - you can put together a healthy, fresh option.

The BEST thing, though, is the pet program. I needed to bring my dog. They don't have a limitation on dog size, like some hotels do - my pup is close to 50 pounds and well behaved and he was a welcome guest. They didn't have a bogus policy against pittie mixes either! We arrived in the room and my pup was happy to find a dog bed and double-dish for his food and water. I brought a sheet to toss over the bed, since the hotel sheets are white and it just made me feel better. When I was staying there, there were something like 10 dogs staying - which the front desk manager said was an unusually high number. Even better for dog-lovers, there is a nice dog park not too far away, near South Village (follow Rt 15/501 South). The hotel staff aren't consistently aware of the park, but you can ask about South Village Shopping area, go past it to the actual park, southern entrance.

I would definitely go back and will check out this hotel chain if I go elsewhere... with or without a dog. Way to go, Starwood!

Room Tip: Let them know ahead of time you are bringing a dog so they can outfit the room. They probably have...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We make a yearly trip to Chapel Hill to visit family and this is our second stay at the Aloft Hotel. This place has one the of the quickest check-ins I've ever experienced we were in and to our room in less than five minutes. The room was clean and well stocked, the bed was comfortable and they supply easy connections to the TV to hook up any devices you may have. The only downside I experienced this time around was a lack of drawer space since this was a longer trip than last time we had more stuff and the small closet area just wasn't large enough but this is a minor issue. I was greeted with a smile ever time I walked past the front desk and by Valet (Which is free with the room). During the day this place seems deserted but at night you can find quite a few people at the bar relaxing and listening to music. The Fitness center and pool were both clean and almost empty when I went. Great place I would recommend and will return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JandLVacations
Emily F, Guest Relations Manager at Aloft Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Hi JandLVacations,
Thank you for your feedback. I’m pleased to hear that you had a positive experience at our hotel, enjoying our friendly staff in addition to the hotel features and amenities. We appreciate your notes and look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area!