“Great concept, good food”

Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe
Ranked #27 of 291 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great concept, good food”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very good vegetarian southern Indiian menu, and the restaurant is run with a great deal of idealism. Helpings are decent, services is reliable and fast, and they even have a good wine selection.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Leif K

Cary, North Carolina
“Disappointed during my last visit!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have truly loved frequenting to this place but my last visit was so disappointing. The food was not good at all. I love everything about this place and hate to give it a low rating. We had the vegetarian platter which consisted of roti (parts of it were not cooked evenly), dal (no taste to it), beet koftas (weird texture) and the usual cabbage slaw and jarred mango pickle. I will try and go again to see if my food experience is a little better as I mentioned before that I really have loved this place. My next visit hopefully will be better.

1 Thank anupatel
“Aptly named”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I'm not a connoisseur of Indian food so I can't vouch for the authenticity or taste, but I can say this place is aptly named. Vimala is the owner who transformed her home cooking and catering business into a restaurant. I don't know what "curryblossom" is but it sounds exotic. Finally, cafe is a casual eatery. Put them all together and they aptly describe the place. Like a fast casual restaurant, you order at the counter and they give you a numbered sign to place at your table. We arrived early on a Friday evening and the place was relatively empty but quickly filled up. You have the option of eating in the small dining room, small bar area or if the weather's nice on the patio outdoors. We ordered some nan, lamb samosas and vegetarian curry which was served on a large platter with sides (thali). We found the food very tasty and atmosphere very casual, with lots of regulars being greeted by the staff. I've read reviews about "hippies" working in the kitchen or how unauthentic the food is, but I think that misses the point. First of all, India has distinct cuisines from different regions, so what may be authentic in one region is made differently in another. Secondly, they seem to try to source their food as local as possible, so that might have an effect on "authenticity." The owner wants to serve food, create a community space and pay her workers a living wage. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

1 Thank TarHeel
Advance, North Carolina
“Bland Food”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stopped by Chapel Hill to dine at Vimala's after seeing it featured on NC Weekend on PBS. The restaurant is located in a newer area down Franklin Street heading toward Carboro. We had to pay $3 to park in an adjacent lot because all on-street parking was taken. We ate dinner on a Saturday night at 6 p.m. on graduation weekend. We were seated immediately because the restaurant is tucked away off the street and did not attract many diners at the time we visited. I LOVE Indian food but found everything to have a very bland taste. I ordered from the entree' menu and selected Pull Pork BBQ. It was EXTREMELY salty and over-powered the taste of the pork. One reason I ordered the BBQ was that is came with a plantain fritter. However, I was disappointed there was no plantain on my plate, and when I asked the waitress, she said they no longer offered plantains. They need to change their on-line menu and in-store menus to reflect this change! My BBQ came with creamy coleslaw which was nothing special. There were several other small portion of "things" on my tray - some good, some not so good - but $14 is alot of money to pay for bland food. Our group had a great time, but nobody came away raving about the food. Sorry to be so negative, but the best thing I ate was the garlic Naan. There were 5 of us dining and the tab before tip came to $75 - ouch.

1 Thank Vacationermom
Durham, North Carolina
“Good Food, Great Courtyard, nice service.”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Need to clean bathrooms more often! Kind servers, food is most often well prepared. Have sometimes received over cooked chicken which was blackened and dry. Bland rice. Lassi is inspired as well as their signature lemonade with lavender. Good food, a little more attention by the cleaning crew would make us feel a lot more confident!

• Visited March 2014