“Great hotel for a quick stay.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill

Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
New Haven, Connecticut
“Great hotel for a quick stay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I've stayed here twice for business, and, if returning to the area I would stay here again. The times I have stayed here I really have had no issue. Beds are comfortable, staff is extremely friendly, rooms are nice, breakfast is - eh, and for the price of the rooms I would say it is worth it.

During the previous stay at this hotel I did have a room across from the elevator which was also adjacent to the elevators machine room. I didnt have a problem with the noise of traffic from people using the elevator or from it running, but if you are a light sleeper that could be an issue. I was also warned by the staff before they gave me the room so I knew what I was getting into. And the noise really wasn't that bad - but just something to be aware of.

I cant really speak of how great the location is because I didnt get to venture out too far. But it does seem like you'd have to have a car if you want to go anywhere to do fun things. Within walking distance there is a plaza with some pretty good restaurants which you will need to go to since there is no restaurant at the hotel. Also, there is a great comic book shop in that plaza if you need to get you fix of all things awesome.

Overall, I would say its a decent hotel.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, ask for a room which does not face the elevator nor is adjacent to the elevators...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate all of our guests and we are happy that we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you for a third time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

Have stayed her before, so decided to stay again. Check in was pain-free, and all the staff members were polite and professional. The room was clean and the bed was GREAT. The bathroom was TINY - and starting to show its age. The breakfast area was clean, but again a bit small for the number of people staying there. A problem I have noted with other H I express hotels-- there is only one toaster in the breakfast area, and it is SLOW! So there was a small line of people waiting to make toast... perhaps purchase a second toaster???!!

The second night of our stay, the heater/AC unit decided to really GROWL whenever it recycled. Since it was late at night, it was not practical to ask to change rooms. We mentioned this to the staff member at the front desk the next morning, and without hesitation gave us partial credit for the second night. Very professional! (THUS the POOR rating on sleep quality)
Finally, this hotel is NOT easy to find. There is a sign for another hotel, and the Holiday Inn Express is next to this other hotel. Since we have stayed here before, we knew exactly where to go. But--- again, LOOK CAREFULLY!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review! I thank you for your candid review and the suggestions that you have made. We will take all of your comments into consideration for improving on our guest satisfaction. We appreciate all of our guests and we hope to see you again in the future.
Cheraw, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013

This is one of my favorite Chapel Hill area hotels in the affordable price range. I think this was my first time staying here in the winter with the lobby fire going, and it was wonderful!!!! The room was comfortable, as always, relatively quiet (2nd floor this time - 4th floor is quieter if you can get it). We got a handicapped room, and they were super about getting a shower seat to put in the shower for my husband. REALLY nice not to have to carry ours with us!

I DO wish they had easier access to outlets from the bed. I travel with a CPAP machine, and the outlets were behind the middle of the bed - not easy to reach! If they just put in lamps with outlets that would help...

The bathroom is spacious, although I could use more counter space (always lol!).

Nice sized frig in the room too. WiFi is fast.

Room Tip: The fourth floor is quieter.
1 Thank ruralartist
Thank you so much for your review. Thank you for staying with us when you travel to our area. We strive to make our guests feel like they are at a home away from home. We are honored to be one of your favorites! We shall also take a look at the comments you gave in order to improve on our guest satisfaction. Thank you again!
Wake Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

Seems on the newer side of the construction line, so not too bad there, pretty clean place. Front desk service was, ehh, average. Typical floor unit by the window did an okay job I suppose, not sure if was me or what but a few times kept having to switch from cold to hot and vice versa so that was a bit aggrevating. Wife said bed was uncomfortable, and while I agree it was certainly no high class bed, I'd give it an "ehh, it's a place to sleep for the night" grade.

Breakfast was, ehh, free. I did like that they serve those half-moon little spanish omelletes, pretty good, and the sausage patties were pretty tasty; no potatoes. Typical hard biscuits and unhealthy sausage gravy, some warmed cinnamon buns, a few muffins, some day old bread, bagels (I think), some cereal, and bananas.

Can't say I wouldn't be back, but I'd certainly look around to see if I could find a place to up my rating to 4 or 5 at a comparable price first.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear jboynsteph,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding breakfast.

However, We’re sorry for being average in regards to your expectation. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kenansville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Room was clean, it was quiet. Good location. The parking is a bit tight. The fitness room had good equipment. The breakfast was good. Just wish there were a few more restaurants close by but that's not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Stayed here last night. Rooms were clean, bed comfortable. tub was a little narrow, but otherwise was fine. parking was a bit limited, but not too bad. hotel was nicely updated, though one of the outlets in the room didn't have a cover. breakfast was adequate but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2012

We just spent 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Chapel Hill for my son's wedding. I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. The staff is friendly and very willing to help! There we many rooms booked for the wedding guests throughout the weekend and all of the comments were positive. Orlando (the manager) makes this hotel the exceptional place that it is. The rooms we clean and quite even though it was a football weekend. The lobby was bright and the breakfast area was relaxed and the food was great! We also used the "Free" shuttle service to the rehearsal dinner on Friday night. The drive was so GREAT and we never felt rushed the entire night. I would highly recommend this hotel when you visit Chapel Hill.

Room Tip: I think most of the rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family