“Very good hotel. A/C a little annoying.”

Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
upstate NY
“Very good hotel. A/C a little annoying.”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

Service and staff are excellent at the HI Express. Good location just off the highway and about 10 min from UNC. Rooms are very nice with refrig and microwave. The only complaint is the A/C system which often felt very cold when set at 73, but felt warm at 68. It was impossible to get the room at a level temperature. Thermostat must have not been working correctly.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dobbs Ferry, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2013

My family stayed at the Holiday Inn which is right near a small strip mall and another small mall with restaurants. It was just 5 minutes from Univ of North Carolina where my daughter was possibly looking for college. Service at the desk was excellent and the rooms were small but just fine. The breakfast waas surprisingly good. The price was definitely right and so it was a great value to stay there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We are happy that we were able to provide a good stay with good value for you. Please come back to visit us again when you are in the area!
Johns Creek, Georgia
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few hours, we were visiting friends and used this as a sleepover place. Made reservations through hotwire. Checked in late at 11.30 pm. Everything was great but come Sunday morning when you have nothing else to worry about and want to sleep, we were woken up by knocks on the door, by housekeeping at 9 am, I did not want to get up and shouted saying we are sleeping, but the knocks kept coming and I had to walk to the door to say we are sleeping. Unfortunately that was it, could not go back to bed and just checked out by 9.30 am. I don't know if it's lack of training or stupidity.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Peaceful H
Alvin S, Principal Correspondent at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Thank you so much for your review. I sincerely apologize that we did not deliver on our goal of giving the best service for each of our guests. We will use your feedback to get better on that goal and we will make sure that we make the necessary housekeeping training adjustments. Thank you again and please give us another chance on your next trip to our area.
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I just returned from an 85 day stay, alone, at this hotel. I was there for medical treatment at UNC. The manager, Orlando Faison, has shaped the employees into a dream team. I used to be the Customer Service Trainer for a fortune 500 company. I have also taught and practiced interior design. I notice things others would not. I had a very comfortable mattress, a hi-def TV, a large enough desk to do serious work, and unfailing wi-fi. Even the shower head was wonderful. The maintenance folks, Greg and Dino, proactively maintain the rooms. That means you won't get a clanking heater/AC. Over all that time, actually nothing broke, but Dino kindly made a minor modification in my room so I could get some real fresh air.

I would never have made it for 85 days with the HIE only paying attention to the task and objects in their care. I made it because the employees are cordial and caring. To me, that's the greatest form of customer service. On the front desk, Tony often asked about my well being. Being 5.5 hrs. from my home for so long, I really appreciated it. They knew my name and had the good customer service skills to used it. Most often, Florencia cleaned my room. I wonder if the boss knows that in spite of having her own 6 kids at home, on Mother's Day, she was cleaning my room with the same big smile on her face that she always has. I was humbled. She's so good at her job, I wanted to take her home. One day, when I was ill, Sylvia in Housekeeping put some breakfast aside for me. Dino, in Maintenance is known for his random acts of kindness, in addition to his professionalism and skill. When I was too ill to lift so much as a lima bean, he assited me with bags and heavy items in and out of my car. He's focused on the needs of others and thinks out of the box.

For all kinds of good restaurants, you have only to drive less than about 4 miles in various directions to have your choice. With a fridge in the room, you can refrain from eating out too much. You'll have easy access to UNC hospitals and they offer a shuttle van to go there. This HIE has managed to plant itself in a PERFECT location. Easy driving to any and everything. If they don't have what you are looking for in a 5 mile radius, you don't need it.

I will be returning for cancer follow-up visits, and this place gives me comfort and quietness to recover. As a woman traveling alone, I was safe and happy. A special thanks to Monalynn, Clifton, Harshal, Kiara, Jed, K.C., Moe Soe, Greg, Dino, Sylvia, Tony, and Florencia, for making my life so much better than it might have been, as a cancer paitient. I am an expeienced traveler and have even had an extended stay in The Netherlands. This place is great in no small part due to the employees.

Room Tip: Room 207 is not too close to the elevator, or the ice machine, thus it's quiet. Outside the win...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank NewDog2
Greenville, SC
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I booked this because I was traveling on business, but stopping in Chapel Hill to visit with some old friends. The hotel is within walking distance to a strip mall that has a few restaurants, including a Thai restaurant.

This hotel sits next to a Hampton Inn but the Holiday Inn was $40/night less. Check in was easy and at the time the desk person informed that there is a manager reception in the Hampton Inn I was welcome to join if I wanted - both are owned by the same corporation so there is reciprocity.

The room was comfortable with flat screen TV and nice work area. The bed was comfortable. The free hot breakfast was fine as they go.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank bfstacy
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and our newly upgraded HD TV's! It is great to be able to share amenities with our sister property next door as well. Please do not hesitate to come back and visit with us again!
Plymouth, MA
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel at the last minute through AAA and didn't expect much. But it was a very nice, very clean and well appointed room with very comfortable beds. The bathroom was well thought out with plenty of counter space for all our toiletries. The free breakfast was good and the staff were quite pleasant. If we go back to Chapel Hill, we would be happy to stay at this hotel again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the layout of our bathroom area. We realize that you have a choice when coming to our area and we thank you for choosing us!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed here for one night during a quick business trip. From time to check-in to check-out, we were there for approximately 9 hours. My colleagues and I were in the area for two days. We departed early in the AM, arrived in Raleigh-Durham and traveled throughout the region all day. When we arrived at the hotel, we were travel weary and ready to hit the sack. We all had reservations that we made days before. There were three of us on the trip and two of us checked in very quickly...then, came the third. No more rooms. After 30 mins, they found our co-worker a room. Some guy who had yet to show up yet. They gave her his room. Whew! I think he came in to check out right after that, but we were not looking back! We were more than ready to collapse at that point. The rooms were clean and decent, the beds were adequate. Nothing to write home about. After squeezing in a couple of hour's of rest, we were up and off again. The check out process was relatively smooth. Overall, good enough. I didn't notice a lot of restaurants or other amenities nearby. So, I wouldn't recommend it for a long-term stay. But, if you want a decent place to stay on a quick business trip, then it's good enough.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Alvin S, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Thank you so much for your review. Please accept our sincere apologies for the glitches you encountered. We will definitely use this as a learning experience for our staff members. We hope to see you again at our hotel so that we can WOW you with our improved service!