“Average, Which Is Not Bad”

Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 13 May 2014

To me, the Hampton Inn and Suites in Chapel Hill was the textbook definition of an average hotel room. Remember, average is not bad, and it was certainly acceptable for a one-night stay. The lounge/breakfast area was very well appointed, with warm woods and decorative lighting. (The UNC-themed décor didn’t hurt, either, but I’m a bit biased on that point.) If only the room had been as impressive. We were placed in a handicapped room with two queen beds, so we had an oversized bathroom, which may have been why the room seemed so cramped. Still, the bed was fine, the shower was strong, and the room was clean. Certainly worth a look if you’ve got business in Chapel Hill but don’t want to be right on top of the campus.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Katherine C, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our renovated lounge/breakfast area with the warm woods and decorative lighting. I apologize we did not meet your expectations on your guestroom. As you mentioned, having the oversized bathroom in the handicapped and two queen bedded room may give the overall feel of a smaller space. I am glad to hear that the shower was strong, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

During your next visit with us, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and you can experience one of our standard rooms or even one of our spacious Suite rooms. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Not too many great hotel options in Chapel hill unless you go into the $$$$ category, so this is a good option. Rooms pretty quiet, decent sound-proofing, standard (basic) toiletries and the "wash every day" crinkly white duvet cover. Evening snacks had some nice fresh veggies (yum!) wine was self-serve in a cloudy carafe with little plastic juice glasses next to it. I passed on the alcohol (though they did have a bucket of beers for those interested). Breakfast was standard for the Hampton chain, gluey oatmeal and play-doh eggs, I'd steer clear and just grab a breakfast to go bag instead.

This is definitely in the 'burbs, there is a Shell gas station across the parking lot (a ways away, not right next to the hotel) and about 1/4 mile away there is a mini-mall with a variety of options (bowling, Thai restaurant, comic store, etc.).

Slightly odd experience - I left out my "do not disturb" sign as I almost always do at hotels and got a series of little notes informing me that by policy they WOULD be entering my room in three days whether I liked it or not. It seemed like an oddly aggressive note. If anyone from the Hampton is reading this perhaps consider not sending out the note until the day before your mandatory "policy" (haven't had this happen at other Hamptons) room inspection?

Still, I'll go back if work brings me back to the Chapel Hill area and no more interesting options present themselves.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay. I thank you for bringing your experience to our attention and I will be sharing your review with our staff and will have corrective measures put into place. I do hope if your travels bring you back to the Chapel Hill area that you will give us another chance to show our true southern hospitality.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was in Chapel Hill for a class at UNC and stayed at the Hampton Inn. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful on my arrival and throughout my stay. The room was well furnished, very clean and quiet. Comfortable beds with better than standard bed linens. They offer a great breakfast selection each morning in a large, comfortable lobby area. The hotel is convenient to downtown Chapel Hill and UNC and just off I-40. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Dave H

Thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. We appreciate the kind words and hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, that you will again choose us for your accommodations.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Our stay at the Hampton Inn have always been excellent. The staff have always been helpful and the rooms are clean and fresh. We always stay at Hamptons when we travel as they are always located in nice areas with ease of getting to and located where there are good restaurants close by.

2  Thank John C

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. We are honored and privileged to serve you and are excited to be your hotel when visiting the Chapel Hill area. We look forward to serving you again and hope you enjoy each and every stay with us.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This clean hotel, with very friendly staff (reception, housekeeping, and breakfast room attendants), is located near I-40 and Rte 54. However, it is nicely placed off the street in a wooded area so it is very quiet. The room we had, 319, was nicely decorated and very comfortable. I was especially pleased with the large, beautiful breakfast room just off the lobby. There was quite a good variety of hot foods, including oatmeal. Just a pleasant place that we will stay at again.

Room Tip: Since the entire hotel seems to be quiet, there doesn't seem to be any particular location that...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Katherine C, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I am so glad you got to enjoy the peace and tranquility of our hotels location. I hope that your visits warrant another trip some day! We look forward to serving you.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

For anyone having to stay overnight in Durham NC who has family in UNC or Duke hospitals, they offer a program called Medstay that will help you find a hospital on their list of participants that will offer a discount on the hotel. It helps the financial burden when you have family that is there for an extended time.

2  Thank robinson14

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I am glad we were able to provide you with the assistance you needed during this time of need. I hope if your travels bring you back to the Chapel Hill area, you will again choose us for your stay.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Nice lobby. Great staff,very helpful. The rooms have pretty standard furnishings. Very clean & nice bed linens. Terrific breakfast! Lots of choices and friendly servers. Would definitely stay at other Hampton Inns. Good value.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce R

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I will be sure to pass along the kind words and am grateful to read that your stay was accommodated as we seek to serve all of our guests. My favorite part of the breakfast is being able to make the waffles that smell so good as they are cooking and watching the butter and syrup melt across them right before I get to bite into them. During your next visit, you can let me know what your favorite breakfast item is... I hope if your travels bring you back to the Chapel Hill, you will again choose us for your accommodations.