Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was just a quick overnight trip to the Chapel Hill/Durham area, but enough time to form a very positive impression of this Hampton Inn. Comfortable and spotless room, could adjust the A/C so that it's wasn't igloo-cold during warm weather, complimentary wi-fi worked faultlessly, and there was plenty of drawer space for travelers staying longer. Also a mini-refrigerator (not a mini-bar). Nice shower and toiletries and enough towels. The included hot breakfast buffet was a cut above what is offered in similar hotels -- beyond the make-you-own waffle option, there was fresh fruit, replenished when it got low, mini-cheese omelets, cooked oatmeal, and two or three coffee choices, also available throughout the day. The breakfast room is bright, high-ceilinged and spacious -- very pleasant place to start the day.

The property is on a side road off the main road -- no traffic noise. It shares an entrance with a Holiday Inn and is tucked behind it. Attractive landscaping -- the turtle pond is actually on the Holiday Inn property, and while I guess the turtles were on break when I walked over, there were countless big tadpoles to see just under the surface. As has been mentioned, you do need your car to drive to restaurants and other services, but anything we needed was a quick drive.

I definitely would stay at this hotel again when in the area. Excellent value. We needed an extra hour before checkout, and it was no problem. The only improvement I can suggest would be brighter bulbs in the lights by the bed. But the light is fine at the desk and by the comfortable reading chair/ottoman.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mermaid86
Katherine C, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property - and such nice comments! I am so happy to hear that we have not only exceeded your expectations but in doing so, you became a repeat guest! I feel we are very lucky to have an amazing staff. We work very hard - from housekeeping to management - to make sure that every room is cleaned and every guest has the best experience possible. Thank you again for choosing Hampton Inn Chapel Hill and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel for five days for business purpose. The staff on duty during arrival and departure processes were excellent and very helpful. The hotel provided shuttle services to conference centre and also to other nearby places. Very statisfied with my stay at this hotel. The only limitation is that very few restuarants are in this area (mainly fast food).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sekar R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our property. We are very fortunate to have some of the best staff in Chapel Hill. They are extremely knowledgeable about their area and would love to give great recommendations to local restaurants. I see you took advantage of our courtesy shuttle - one of the many amenities we offer to our guests. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip to Chapel Hill. Thank you again for choosing our hotel as your home away from home.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I have stayed at many Hampton Inns, but this is probably the nicest. The location is good, but there is not a 'walking distance' place to get a night cap. The facility was lovely and the staff was very nice. I would definitely return to this hotel if I was in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 15daniellem
Katherine C, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. We appreciate your return patronage and are honored by your loyalty. Thank you. We look forward to serving you again. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to further accommodate your visits.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

The hotel was clean. The breakfast was very good. We were attending UNC graduation; the hotel provided wine, cheese, and snacks on Fri. night and a BBQ lunch on Sat. for the graduates and their families. Also provided was a shuttle to and from the stadium.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank James W

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. Congratulations to your recent graduate. I will be sure to pass along the kind words and am grateful to read that your stay was accommodated as we seek to serve all of our guests. I hope if your travels bring you back to the Chapel Hill, you will again choose us for your accommodations

Reviewed 13 May 2014

To me, the Hampton Inn and Suites in Chapel Hill was the textbook definition of an average hotel room. Remember, average is not bad, and it was certainly acceptable for a one-night stay. The lounge/breakfast area was very well appointed, with warm woods and decorative lighting. (The UNC-themed décor didn’t hurt, either, but I’m a bit biased on that point.) If only the room had been as impressive. We were placed in a handicapped room with two queen beds, so we had an oversized bathroom, which may have been why the room seemed so cramped. Still, the bed was fine, the shower was strong, and the room was clean. Certainly worth a look if you’ve got business in Chapel Hill but don’t want to be right on top of the campus.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Katherine C, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our renovated lounge/breakfast area with the warm woods and decorative lighting. I apologize we did not meet your expectations on your guestroom. As you mentioned, having the oversized bathroom in the handicapped and two queen bedded room may give the overall feel of a smaller space. I am glad to hear that the shower was strong, the bed was comfortable and the room was clean.

During your next visit with us, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and you can experience one of our standard rooms or even one of our spacious Suite rooms. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Not too many great hotel options in Chapel hill unless you go into the $$$$ category, so this is a good option. Rooms pretty quiet, decent sound-proofing, standard (basic) toiletries and the "wash every day" crinkly white duvet cover. Evening snacks had some nice fresh veggies (yum!) wine was self-serve in a cloudy carafe with little plastic juice glasses next to it. I passed on the alcohol (though they did have a bucket of beers for those interested). Breakfast was standard for the Hampton chain, gluey oatmeal and play-doh eggs, I'd steer clear and just grab a breakfast to go bag instead.

This is definitely in the 'burbs, there is a Shell gas station across the parking lot (a ways away, not right next to the hotel) and about 1/4 mile away there is a mini-mall with a variety of options (bowling, Thai restaurant, comic store, etc.).

Slightly odd experience - I left out my "do not disturb" sign as I almost always do at hotels and got a series of little notes informing me that by policy they WOULD be entering my room in three days whether I liked it or not. It seemed like an oddly aggressive note. If anyone from the Hampton is reading this perhaps consider not sending out the note until the day before your mandatory "policy" (haven't had this happen at other Hamptons) room inspection?

Still, I'll go back if work brings me back to the Chapel Hill area and no more interesting options present themselves.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and for choosing us for your accommodations. I apologize for the inconvenience experienced during your stay. I thank you for bringing your experience to our attention and I will be sharing your review with our staff and will have corrective measures put into place. I do hope if your travels bring you back to the Chapel Hill area that you will give us another chance to show our true southern hospitality.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was in Chapel Hill for a class at UNC and stayed at the Hampton Inn. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful on my arrival and throughout my stay. The room was well furnished, very clean and quiet. Comfortable beds with better than standard bed linens. They offer a great breakfast selection each morning in a large, comfortable lobby area. The hotel is convenient to downtown Chapel Hill and UNC and just off I-40. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Dave H

Thank you for your review and for choosing the hotel for your accommodations. We appreciate the kind words and hope that if your travels bring you back to the area, that you will again choose us for your accommodations.