“Outstanding customer service and food”
Review of Rizzo Center

Rizzo Center
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfax, Virginia
“Outstanding customer service and food”
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for four nights for training. The facility is great for business travel. Outstanding breakfast and lunch buffets and great options for breaks. They have healthy options and a freezer fill of ice cream. The dinner options in the bar aren't great but the service is. The friendly nature of the staff is amazing. You walk by and they greet you by name. Always had a smile and willing to help. Made for a great week.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Brent H, General Manager at Rizzo Center, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you very much for the wonderful comments. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your experience at Rizzo. We hope to see you again the next time that you're in Chapel Hill.

Best Regards,
Brent Haste

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Take a look at the view from my room. Construction noise literally shaking the room the entire time.

Front desk refused to move me and did not offer any redress. This review is telling you that your guests are unhappy with your approach.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Brent H, General Manager at Rizzo Center, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
It is true that the property is undergoing an expansion and it is very disappointing to hear that we weren't able to offer the great environment and hospitality that our guests always enjoy. The good news is that the noisiest portion of the project is over. There was some concrete removal that was required to be done prior to the completion of our new Sports Bar. This involved jack hammering, which is now complete. Additionally, the project hours are from 8:00am to 5:00pm. There's no disruption at night or the early morning and rarely on weekends. As for offering redress, I'm attempting to address this directly with the guest as it is vitally important to our entire property that each guest is satisfied with their experience at Rizzo.
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We recently stayed at the Rizzo for a UNC football weekend. The grounds are very nice, though we did not explore them as much as I would have liked due to time constraints. We were in McLean Hall which has a very nice lobby. Our room was in the lower level (basement) and was average. Given the pretax cost of $250 a night, I would have expected some amenities that you get a pricier hotel but the Rizzo lacked... guest robes, ice machines on every floor, nicer quality sheets and a TV with non-snowy reception. On the plus side, every staff member we met was very nice and very helpful. The pantries on the 2nd floor with the ice machine do offer a plethora of beverages and the ice cream selection was AMAZING! One complaint - I could not locate an ice scoop in the ice machine, though there were paper cups available to use as a scoop. The complimentary shuttle service was great, especially the drivers. We utilized it frequently. Another plus...breakfast at DuBose House is included, though we had to ask as we were never actually told, but I had read it on Trip Advisor. We were unable to do breakfast the first morning, but we did eat there on Sunday. The house is beautiful and the staff very attentive. The choices were varied and impressive and everything we tried was delicious. While I am somewhat demanding about little things, my husband loved everything at the Rizzo and, should the occasion arise, we will stay there again,

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the DuBose House - I been told that the rooms are large and beautiful. If in M...
Green Features: Very environmentally-friendly with recycling bins in the bathroom as well as the choice to change the sheets and towels.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ljcraddock
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We wanted a place to celebrate our anniversary. We live in Cary and wanted to "get away" for the weekend. I looked at places I was familiar with on a hotel website and this came up as a suggestion. I looked thru the website and made a reservation. We LOVED it ! It was tucked away and calm and private and in a beautiful setting. We felt like we were at a resort. The amenities were generous and appreciated. Thanks so much for our perfect getaway! Oh, the morning breakfast at the Debose house was delicious and elegant, what a beautiful house , the meal was perfect !

Green Features: Impressive ! I wasn't aware until I read about it on the website. I am happy to know above all the other impressive characteristics of the hotel the environmental awareness is also practiced.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 October 2013

A great birthday weekend for 7 of us girls. We stayed in the DuBose house, which was beautifully decorated & the beds were very comfortable. The food was good and the staff pampered us. The grounds were beautiful for the fall weekend.
What a great place to celebrate!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Kristin D, Front Office Manager at Rizzo Center, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Car122010, we are thrilled that we earned your kind comments! Thank you for staying at the Rizzo Center, we so happy you and your group enjoyed your stay .
Thanks for celebrating with us!
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel during a conference in July of 2013. All I can say is WOW! From check in through our all too brief stay, we felt like we were being pampered by the manager and staff. The rooms are great! The food is awesome! And the staff is sublime! Combined with all of the amenities we received as part of our stay (I especially liked the ice cream bars in the freezer of the guest pantry) I would not go to another hotel in the area unless this one was booked full. I travel often as a part of my job and it is very rare to find an oasis such as the Rizzo Conference center. If you have the opportunity to stay somewhere in Chapel Hill, choose the Rizzo Conference center if you have a choice.

Room Tip: Anywhere, there are no bad rooms here!
Green Features: Since the group I was with at the conference was focused on Green practices, the conference center and hotel fit right into our perspective.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Rizzo Conference center is beautiful along with being situated close enough to the campus for convenience. I would highly recommend the hotel however, there is lack of organization and communication. Upon booking and arriving we were told that breakfast which is located in the DuBose mansion was complimentary. On Saturday morning when we had breakfast there was no charge and then on Sunday morning after having breakfast for more than a half hour with no one even coming out to greet us or offer coffee we were told to sign for the bill. Ok, so if breakfast was in fact an additional fee dont you think that someone would of come out to offer coffee at least or something? strange!
After the confusion the employee at the Mclean building rudely stated "I am sure you are wrong and there was no mention upon check in or website". So, I would stay here again however, I am tempted to book at the Carolina Inn next month when I come for parents weekend. I also should let you know that the sports bar service on Friday evening was great, the gentleman working was really great!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank brittany b
Kristin D, Front Office Manager at Rizzo Center, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Brittney B, thank you for your comments from your recent stay.
I sincerely apologize for the lack of communication that impacted your experience at our property. I can reassure you that this is not indicative of the level of service we pride ourselves on at the Rizzo Conference Center. We have reviewed our procedures with all of our associates to prevent any future failure in communications.
Again thank you for your comments we hope to have your future business.

Kristin Drake