“Kidzu Children's Museum”

Kidzu Children's Museum
Ranked #11 of 46 things to do in Chapel Hill
More attraction details
Owner description: Kidzu Children's Museum is a hands-on museum dedicated to inspiring young children and the adults in their lives to learn through creative play. Come experience Kidzu's new Launch Pad at University Mall —make, build, explore and learn in this amazing location! Our space is brimming with fun and engaging exhibits including refreshed tried and true favorites like The Makery, Gravitron, and Farm to Fork plus several spectacular new exhibits: The Forest Theatre, a large-scale climbing wall, and the immense Tarheel Treehouse! In addition to these kids-powered exhibits areas for children infant to tweens, the New Launch Pad offers a wealth of new programs and activities related to arts, STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), child health and wellness and emerging literacy.
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Kidzu Children's Museum is perfect place to visit, when you are in Chapel Hill city-center with children. Free on Saturday.

1  Thank Denys C

Reviewed 21 June 2013

I rarely write reviews but I have felt compelled to do so since leaving this place. This place is nothing short than a "pay for the day" daycare where the parents follow around their kids but much smaller. There was one semi discovery museum like contraption that puts balls through a tube an down a tunnel. This seems to be the main feature of their advertisement. I drove about 45 minutes with my kids only to pull up to a shopping center plaza full of odds and ends shops to find this small and daycare like facility. Upon entering the two girls at the front were both sitting texting on their phones and were sweet but essentially useless. One gave the rules while the other ate chips. When we entered the facility there it was literally the size of my living room. One area for arts and crafts, anothor for tots and then like two or three centers for pretend kitchen and garden etc. There were an additional two workers working the "area" which was complete and utter overkill. They stood around picking up EVERY toy my 19 month old dropped. He literally followed her (we were like one of five kids there) and picked up every toy she was playing with. I was also there as her mother picking up as well. It was like he was an OCD hall monitor. I was finally so annoyed I said, I promise when she is done playing I will pick up her toys, He kind of laughed and continued to stalk us. It was bizarre. I felt bad because he was so young but also felt like we had paid an admisison for my kids to play. Ugh, it was irritating. Finally my 4 year old finished an art project and we high tailed it out of there. Super disappointed. Also- not sure if it was the manager but a woman was having a meeting with a coworker when we were exiting. It appeared she was instructing her on the ins and outs of the place so she appeared to be of a managerial role. I had like seven hands full of stuff, a stroller with my little one and a four year old standing there trying to open the door and exit. If it were me I would of popped up and offered to open the door for a mom with her hands full. This women did not even blink and eye. I don't see a bright future for this kids museum. Sad because we appreciate all the others in our area!

10  Thank Melissa S
Kidzu, Manager at Kidzu Children's Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Thank you for your visit to Kidzu and your review. As a nonprofit, Kidzu is dedicated to providing our community with interactive environments that support learning through play. In our current location we are very limited, due to space constraints, on how many areas of activity we can provide. You’ll be happy to know Kidzu is starting small but growing, in the Fall of 2013, to a new larger location at University Mall. Volunteers at Kidzu aim to help visitors learn about exhibit areas, engage families in play, and help keep our museum clean and safe- they can be a little overzealous at times. We’re sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, we hope that you will try us again this fall.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

At first I wasn't sure I was at the right place; it's on the back side of a strip mall, and couldn't be less museum-like in appearance. It's very small; I hope they get the funds to make it larger because my 19 month old nephew loved it. Docents were there to make suggestions, and I'm glad the toddler room wasn't overrun with older kids. This can be a problem at many kids' museums. My one suggestion is that more should be done to facilitate sanitizing, especially in the toddler area where the little ones are prone to put everything in their mouths. At the Atlanta Children's Museum there was a sort of letterbox with a round opening for parents to put the items the toddlers have put in their mouths. My grandson became ill with a gastrointestinal illness later in the week and I wonder if his time here had anything to do with it.

1  Thank MassillonJill

Thank you for your visit to Kidzu. As a nonprofit Kidzu is dedicated to providing our community with interactive environments that support learning through play. You’ll be happy to know Kidzu is starting small but growing, in the Fall of 2013, to a new larger location at University Mall. Kidzu is also dedicated to a safe and clean environment for all guests; we have always provided a “tasted toy bin” by our tot spot with signage in exhibit about its’ location. We also clean our toys based on the recommendations of the National Association for the Education of Young Children. We hope you will visit us again!

Reviewed 16 March 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice but very small kids museum. They have lots of puzzles, books, construction/building toys and a nice little kitchen cafe. My 3 year old spent a very happy 2 hours there. It is right in downtown Chapel Hill so a nice part of a day- not an all day thing. I do think they are planning to move soon.

1  Thank 24112QGal
Reviewed 17 September 2012

First of all, "museum" is a huge overstatement. There are three small rooms plus small arts-and-crafts corner and a tiny (and drafty!) area for the kids under 24 months.

There was some very strong mildewy smell in the air. Some toys and decorations seemed rather worn and yucky. Fortunately, our 3 year old was happy to leave shortly after arrival since there was nothing much for him to do.

Don't waste your time if you have an active or an older child and certainly it's not worth paying for.

2  Thank Preved