“Good food- choice on the night limited. Would try again though”
Review of Cholanad

Cholanad
Reserve with OpenTable
Cholanad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 300 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mallette St
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was over in Chapel Hill on work and came across this restaurant. It is very nice atmosphere, calm and sober and does not feel like an Indian restaurant. some items on the menu had run out which was a shame as it was what I ( and the next table) actually wanted. The food was tasty and plentiful and had a nice individual spice taste. service was pleaseant, though it was late, around closing time. Even though the mark is average ( more for running out of items) i would certainly eat there should I get the opportunity to be back in Chapel Hill.

1  Thank JoubertG

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Three of my friends and I had lunch at CholanNad this week. This was our first visit to this restaurant. We were happy to find free parking adjacent to the restaurant and I even got a shady spot! We were surprised to see so few patrons when we arrived. There were only 3 tables of people so we were surprised to experience a very long delay in getting half of our orders. The waitress was very nice and accommodated our many questions about the menu. Three items were delivered to our table very soon but the remainder took 30+ minutes more. We kept asking when we were going to get our food and the waitress seemed embarrassed by the delay. I can only imagine that the chef was unprepared for lunch even though there were only 3 tables of patrons. We arrived at 11:30 and didn't leave until 2:00 because of the delay. Perhaps this was a quirk for them, but our first experience was not good. We probably won't be returning. The chef came out and asked us if we liked the food but did not apologize for the long wait nor did he acknowledge it. I would think that they would have offered us a free dessert or something to compensate for our wait. Oh well......I had a great lunch at Mint (another Indian restaurant down the street) recently and it was a much butter experience. I must say that the food at Cholananad was good and on the spicy side - which I like. The waitress also got my order wrong but I ate what she brought and it was very yummy. All in all, the food was good, the free parking is definitely a plus, but the service was poor.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I tried Cholanad for dinner and was impressed. The dining experience was a step above many Indian restaurants I have eaten at in the past. The vegetable sampler was excellent. They also had dishes that were not Indian. I got scallops with Thai fried rice. It was very good and surprisingly filling.

Our waiter was very good.

The drive through UNC to the restaurant was beautiful.

I recommend you try it out.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

While most Indian restaurants create that same curry base and put different things in it, Cholanad makes each dish unique - like it is supposed to be. I had fish (Pomfret) wrapped in banana leaf. It was perfectly cooked with just right spices, not too hot. My wife had the Dosa and Sambhar (lentils). She was very pleased with both. Sambhar was not the liquid soupy kind but had a lot of vegetables and thick. Others had Spring Dosa. This is a Cholanad speciality I highly recommend this. Instead of potato filling, they are using vegetables cooked south indian style and it comes out great. Overall, I will be going back there, whenever I want indian food.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Although not an authority on Indian food, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our recent meal at Cholanad. The menu had an interesting variety of dishes, many of which I had never heard of before. The dishes we had were all outstanding and the portions were generous to say the least. There is an adequate wine list -- we certainly enjoyed the wine we had -- and beer may be better suited to Indian food anyway. The service was both friendly and professional. We heartily recommend Cholanad.