“I need to go back again soon!”
Review of Cholanad

Cholanad
Reserve with OpenTable
Cholanad is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 309 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Mallette St
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I grew up eating curry and Indian dishes - Durban South Africa has a large Indian and Pakistani population and there were more options than even I could experience! Living in America for the past 20 plus years I have yearned for a meal that could satisfy the senses in the same way those dinners and lunches in Durban did. I can finally say that I have found a restaurant that serves wonderful food and always exceeds expectations. Cholanad in Chapel Hill is my current Number One as far as food goes! Whether you are looking for a large meal - or just a tasty snack - as I have done on occasion - you will not be disappointed. I have savored the lamb curry several times - as well as the chicken biryani - and the variety of flatbreads and popadoms. All of which were wonderful. In fact writing this I am tempted to get in my car and enjoy a solo meal - although it is only 3pm! On a Wednesday!

I have enjoyed meals there with family members - with business associates - and I confess even a solo visit last week. All of which were wonderful. And I am seldom impressed.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were a little afraid the food was too spicy, but it wasn't. The waiter said the Fish on Banana Leaf would take about twenty minutes to be ready, but in 10 minutes all we ordered was on the table and tasted very good, making us want to get there again and try a few more dishes!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am an Indian so you should trust me when I say this Indian food is authentic and good :) Cholanad is right on Franklin and one of the best in that locality. I have been to this place a few times and always left happy with the great food in my belly. I like the Fish on Banana Leaf which is also the most popular dish at this restaurant, their chicken tikka kebab and appetizers are awesome too. You will experience very distinct tastes at this place, which is very different from other Indian restaurants. The ambience is nice too if you are going there for a romantic dinner. The chef steps out of the kitchen occasionally to ask about your experience and explain if you have any questions. You should absolutely try this place

1  Thank A S
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was over in Chapel Hill on work and came across this restaurant. It is very nice atmosphere, calm and sober and does not feel like an Indian restaurant. some items on the menu had run out which was a shame as it was what I ( and the next table) actually wanted. The food was tasty and plentiful and had a nice individual spice taste. service was pleaseant, though it was late, around closing time. Even though the mark is average ( more for running out of items) i would certainly eat there should I get the opportunity to be back in Chapel Hill.

1  Thank JoubertG
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Three of my friends and I had lunch at CholanNad this week. This was our first visit to this restaurant. We were happy to find free parking adjacent to the restaurant and I even got a shady spot! We were surprised to see so few patrons when we arrived. There were only 3 tables of people so we were surprised to experience a very long delay in getting half of our orders. The waitress was very nice and accommodated our many questions about the menu. Three items were delivered to our table very soon but the remainder took 30+ minutes more. We kept asking when we were going to get our food and the waitress seemed embarrassed by the delay. I can only imagine that the chef was unprepared for lunch even though there were only 3 tables of patrons. We arrived at 11:30 and didn't leave until 2:00 because of the delay. Perhaps this was a quirk for them, but our first experience was not good. We probably won't be returning. The chef came out and asked us if we liked the food but did not apologize for the long wait nor did he acknowledge it. I would think that they would have offered us a free dessert or something to compensate for our wait. Oh well......I had a great lunch at Mint (another Indian restaurant down the street) recently and it was a much butter experience. I must say that the food at Cholananad was good and on the spicy side - which I like. The waitress also got my order wrong but I ate what she brought and it was very yummy. All in all, the food was good, the free parking is definitely a plus, but the service was poor.