“Peaceful interlude”

Ranked #2 of 46 things to do in Chapel Hill
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Loved walking the trails, reading about the various flora. Giant chessboard was a hit with my son. Lot's of shade to beat the heat with too. Spent about two hours wandering around the gardens. Free entry and free parking made it all the better!

1  Thank PTCGal

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Beautiful facility with class rooms, restrooms and lots of healthy plants but my favorite is hiking the trails & enjoying the creek sounds & just sitting on a bench to enjoy the quiet.

1  Thank Carol M
Reviewed 29 July 2013

If you like gardens visit the NC Botanical Garden and the Duke Gardens in Durham. NC is more natury and woody and Duke more manicured and classic. Both lovely.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

The NC Botanical Garden is a jewel in Chapel Hill. With a hiking trail through a hilly wooded forest, a creek with accessible banks for splashing, gardens through which to stroll, and an activity shed and nearby flower garden with hidden fairy figures to find, there is something for everyone. It's quiet and serene, natural and educational, and the new education center tops it all off. A great stop for families with young children or singles or couples interested in plants and nature.

1  Thank Terry T
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I took my mom and baby to the botanical garden, and both liked it. It is mostly stroller-friendly, the plants are lovely, and it is small enough that we were not overwhelmed. We saw the whole thing in a couple hours not rushing, but if you are really a flower person, I'm sure you could stay for weeks (I'm not really into plants),, especially if you got one of the botanists or volunteers talking. We particularly enjoyed the garden with the medicinal and industrial-use plants, but wished the individual kinds of plants were better marked. The garden is set up with different circles of plants with a sign in the center that says, in so many words, "these are plants for heart problems" but does not say what the individual plants are or how they are/were used. Maybe this is for legal reasons, but there was a similar lack of labeling throughout the garden. It probably would have been more interesting had I known what I was looking at. Still, the baby enjoyed touching the few plants I thought would stand up to her and she liked watching the tadpoles at the bridge, and Mom got some new ideas for her garden and some seeds. It was a pleasant afternoon, but I don't think it would be a place I'd seek out if I were here for a short stay.