“Tasty Greek Food”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 295 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$5 - US$31
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
North, South Carolina
“Tasty Greek Food”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We were here for a dinner, just walked in as we passed by, didn't know anything about this restaurant, just saw that it was nearly full. We got seated outside after 5 min as we asked for that.
We had Tzatziki and Melitzanosalata as starters and Moussaka and Souvlaki as entrees, very tasteful and truly Greek as I remember from our traveling there. I didn't put 5 dots because it was a little too much olive oil on top of the food and the service was a bit slow as it was crowded (my sons got their sodas after 30 min, we had everything else long before). We really enjoyed our dinner.

• Visited September 2013

• Turkish first
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Wonderful atmosphere and environment”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have been several times, in a large group and again several times in small groups. The design is wonderful- welcoming and you can easily think you are in Greece. The food is very good- classic Greek dishes that have been prepared well. The mezze sampler is a wonderful dish to share and start the evening. The servers have been excellent. The wines are Greek, but our servers has always been very helpful to match a wine with our requests.
The outdoor tables are the perfect place to watch the world on Franklin Street.

Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent Greek Food”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Went for lunch. Our party had appetizers, soup, salad and sandwiches. All were excellent. Good food at good prices. Highly recommend if you are in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Durham, North Carolina
“Kipos is a Keeper”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We've been there several times so far.. as a couple and in groups (last night there were 11 of us). The service has always been stellar and the food is as good as anything we had when we were in Greece. I'm not a huge lamb fan and the lamb chops are one of my favorite dishes. The fish is always beautifully prepared (the Branzino last night was amazing). Great mezze selection just made for sharing.

The staff is very knowledgeable about both the food and the wine. We are yet to find a wine on the list that we don't like.

Chronis plays bouzouki on Thursday, Fridays and Saturday nights and is excellent. They have a dancer on Fridays and Saturdays that makes for a very fun evening.

Come for a quick meal or stay a while -- they don't mind if you have a long dinner, they actually encourage it.

Go with a group and order a wide selection of dishes and share!

We'll be back soon and often.

Batesville, Arkansas
“OPA!”
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

I can't rave enough about the service! I was driving past the restaurant on my way to a movie & decided to stop for a late lunch. Not knowing that the grill closes at 2 PM, I got there about 10 mins after closing time. However, the sommilier bent over backwards to seat me and personally serve me from several nongrill items available from the lunch menu. I offered to come back at dinner, after seeing a local movie, but it was rainy and he told me to take my time and enjoy reading my book at a small table by the window. Several times he said, "You are my guest, stay as long as you would like. " At no time did he, or any of the other staff, act or sound irritated, nor made me feel as if I needed to hurry.

I had th Spanakopita, Baklava, and a couple of glasses of Greek Chardonay, served with a complimentary basket of various beads. It was all DElICIOUS!!! The Baklava was at least 3 inches tall and each bite melted in my mouth!!!

The unbelievable hospitality, great food, and charming decor has convinced me to become a regular patron. I WILL BE BACK!!!

1 Thank Nanniebella