“Amazing authentic Greek!”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 298 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$5 - US$31
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Fantastic atmosphere topped with incredible flavorful food and excellent service. Seated right away at a romantic table. Salads and everything were fresh. Great, reasonably priced wine. Service was spectacular. Experience overall was top notch!

There are newer reviews for Kipos Greek Taverna

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We love Kipos! The food, service, and atmosphere is outstanding! The noise level is high, especially on a crowded weekend night when they have live Greek music and belly dancers! I have been when Greek families eating dinner there have done Greek dances around the restaurant...amazing! I also love the outdoor patio that overlooks Franklin st. The bakery is amazing and the olive oil some of the best I've had! I have also been with large groups and the servers do a great job with this as well! Opa!

1  Thank Heels13
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The food was nothing to talk about. The noise level was horrible. We were seated table for 8 on Friday about 6pm. There was no conversation at our table because no one could hear each other. Most of the people who we spoke with from our table outside the restaurant won't be back.

1  Thank pcearthlink
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have been a fan of George and his restaurants for many years but this time he has outdone himself. The restaurant is quaint and has a wonderful outside dining area. The inside is lovely and spacious. We ordered and shared the 4 spread assortment platter and all 4 were delicious. They bring piping hot pita to the table for the dips as well as wonderful homemade bread and olive oil.
I had the grilled octopus which was delicate and had a rich flavor of lemon and olive oil. It was wonderful. We also had the Naked Pork Souvlakia which was so tender that it melts in your mouth.
We ordered the dessert with the filo and custard which I wanted to eat in a private room. It was that good.
The person who I dined with is Greek and said it was as good as homemade which coming from her is quite the compliment.
I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Georgio's newest restaurant has a varied menu of authentic Greek food, some comes from family recipes. A great selection of classic dishes.