“Guess we hit an off night”

Kipos Greek Taverna
Reserve with OpenTable
Kipos Greek Taverna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 303 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$5 - US$31
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Kipos is a place familiar like home, comforting, flavorful, honest and welcoming to all. It's a taverna, where friends and strangers gather every day to share thoughts, a glass of wine or two, raki, beer, and often Ouzo. Mezedes (small plates) keep coming to your table, and the conversation and laughter get better with time. This is something that we all share. Kipos is a reflection of my childhood: fresh and robust village foods cooked in wood-burning ovens, honoring old and modern recipes alike. It's a remembrance of my mother's masterful way with phyllo. It's a celebration of cheese, breads, mousaka and lamb youvetsi. It's a story about pigeon in clay pots, octopus grilled over a fire and perfect dolmas. It's about my love for her youvarelakia, her rabbit stefado and the aroma of lamb roasting over an open fire. It's about her chicken and potatoes, especially when I was the one who had to catch the bird. Kipos is a tale of baked eggplant, the perfect village salad, kakavia and my favorite, zucchini blossoms and fresh cheese. And of course we can't forget the baklava, honey walnut cakes and spoon sweets. But above all, Kipos is a story about the love and joy that my parents shared, working the fields heroically, enduring, so that one day my brothers, my sister and I could realize the American dream. My brothers, sister and I became one with the garden, with the olives, with the grapes. We became one with the fields and the mountains that were covered with wild oregano. We gathered animals, both wild and tamed. Nature nourished us with her abundance, with her goodness. This is what we want to share with you at Kipos: cooking from the memory of my heart. Kalos Oresate (welcome) to our home. Love, Giorgios Bakatsias
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

So sad that one of our favorites was riddled with disappointment tonight. Service was horrible, food was too salty. Time to find a new chapel hill hang out

1  Thank four-from-nc

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had heard that Kipos was noisy, so we had an early dinner just after 5PM on a Friday evening. It was quiet and this worked for us. I began to recall meals I had eaten in Greece, and remembered a noisy, convivial meal in Athens when we were invited to sit with friendly locals. Go early or late depending on what kind of experience you are looking for. We were shown immediately to a table by the window and provided with a small basket of some of the best bread we've ever eaten, and the basket was refilled without any request from us. The food was excellent and served straight from the oven. We had the Santorini appetizer which was melt in your mouth delicious! My husband had the best Moussaka I have ever tasted, my Pasticcio was also really tasty (maybe a tich dry) but I had no complaints. We agreed that we wanted to return soon and order each other's dishes. We accompanied the meal with a nice cold half liter of Retsina, which I consider a must with Greek food. After Greek coffees, we chose the 12 cookies for $11 from the dessert menu and took them home for later. They were wonderful and a very good deal. The cookies and bread can be purchased at the bakery counter where you enter, so we returned the next day and purchased some more cookies to serve to friends that evening and they loved them. Also bought a loaf of the olive bread. This will now be our go to bakery as well as a favorite restaurant.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Tried Kipos over the weekend finally! We walked in on a Saturday and they accommodated us with a table upfront (not the most ideal, but we took it).
Front end was friendly.
Food: We tried the Tiropita Pie, different than what I used to, but served as a pie it was very good. Also tried baked epirus feta, flavor was good, for $6 probably wouldn't try again, it was small.
Entrees: I ordered the Pork Souvlakia, more of a small plate - two small pork skewers with flavorful pork. Came with small serving of tomatoes, and I think zucchini chopped fine, and about 3-4 lemon potatoes.
2nd entree for the table: Pastitsio - now this was fantastic. I would go back for this most definitely. I have eaten at alot of greek restaurants all over the country, and this is one of the best! (not dry)
We didn't order alcohol, but understand they have one of the largest greek wine collections in the country.
The owner was very friendly and made his rounds and had conversation, which always goes a long way!
I will definitely give it another try, as I love greek/meditteranean.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was not my first time dining at Kipos and certainly won't be my last. It has become a popular choice in Chapel Hill and deservedly so. The food is consistently good and authentically Greek. The wine list is quite interesting, with a good selection Greek wines. Although it can be somewhat noisy on the inside, if one eats outside, it is very pleasant.

The drawback: The service is erratic. There seems to be a lot of turnover in the wait staff and it shows. At our most recent visit, a daily special was described as pork chops, which I ordered. They were spare ribs. They were good, but not what I had in mind. Kipos is quite good now. If they can solve the service and noise issues, it will really be something special.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The food and service here is great. This is not the place to go for an intimate dinner Friday/Saturday night. It is lively, but friendly you get the sense everyone is enjoying themselves and having a good time.