“One of Chapel Hill's Best”
Review of Lantern Restaurant

Lantern Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lantern Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 300 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This restaurant is a bit special for my wife and I, as we tend to go on special occassions. I have had several meals here and they all have been excellent. The service is excellent. The atmosphere of the restaurant is good, not great; but that is not what I really look for in a restaurant. As long as the atmosphere is not a distraction, I'm generally happy with it. There is added room outside which is great (though I don't know how it will work out in the North Carolina Summer). Back to the food, Asian themed, and very accessible. Portions are appropriate and the offerings taste as good as they read, which is special. The only negative I have is that some of the drinks at the bar have not been quite up to snuff, but everyone has a bad day.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The Lantern is an excellent restaurant that does not serve "run of the mill" food. The menu is always interesting with an unusual twist. It is expensive but well worth the cost. It has an impressive and changing wine list. The waiters are very knowledgable and interested in making your dining the best experience possible.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went with a party of folks from work after a meeting with US team.
There was a separate room booked which had a lovely relaxed atmosphere. Welcomed with a nice glass of local (well US) wine.

The meal was a mixture of starters, too many yo recall but the lentil dish was lovely as was the soft shell crab. The mains aere enjoyed by the whole team ( whole wild bass- was lovely but hard work to fillet! The beef brought tuts of praise from folks as did the chicken).

The desserts were lovely too. and the service was pleasant, unobtrusive but helpful

Well worth trying the restaurant if you have never been before

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My girlfriend and I went here in May 2014. The atmosphere was romantic with candles on the tables offering soft lighting. The bathroom had the same intimate feel with candles and aromatherapy. The downside was the fact that the seating was tight. It felt a bit cramped.
As for the food, the appetizer was OK. We had the Thai seafood salad. I thought it was good because it had diverse flavors all in the same dish. My girlfriend was not impressed because the flavors did not blend and were overpowering. As for the entrees, her entree was not impressive, especially considering the price. My entree was good. I had the roasted pork. It was very tender and tasty when dipped in the sauce that came with the meal. The waiter was informative, and well versed on the dishes. He was sophisticated and complemented the restaurant.
Overall, we had to give this a 3.

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We loved our dinner at Lantern!! Service was first class... We started with chaat ...interesting and deliciois! Also had the asparagus spring rolls. The pork was amazing and I had a whole fish with ginger and jasmine rise
The Italian rose was perfect.
And the coconut cake for dessert was divine!!
We can't wait to return!!!