“Adventurous and delicious”
Review of Lantern Restaurant

Lantern Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Lantern Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 303 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We loved this restaurant and definitely will return. Their house cocktails were amazing. I recommend maiking reseervations and giving yourself time to sample as much as you can. Everything tasted very fresh and textures and flavors were very well balanced.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Lantern is an Asian restaurant which uses lots of local ingredients in a creative and delicious way. On a recent trip to Chapel Hill, my accomplice and I had the pleasure of eating here with another couple. For an appetizer, we started off with the black mushroom and cabbage dumplings. This seemed like a very unlikely combination, but was very good. My accomplice had the fried whole flounder with garlic, chiles, tamarind, fresh lime leaf, a papaya salad and jasmine rice. The flavors were pronounced but subtle and complex. I had the steamed Arctic char with house-pickled ginger, lemongrass, red onion, cucumber-mint salad with coconut jasmine rice. Again, all the flavors blended nicely and complimented each other wonderfully. When I ordered the char (one of my favorite fishes but hard to find) I thought I would have preferred to have had it prepared a different way, but in this dish it was perfect. In addition to the recent Beard Award, Lantern has the reputation of being the best restaurant in Chapel Hill and one of the best restaurants in the Triangle, all well-deserved and well-worth a visit!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were a party of four on a Friday evening, when the restaurant was busy, and had a wonderful meal. Each dish was perfectly conceived and prepared and the service was marvelous. The Asian elements in the dishes were pronounced without being precious. One can often tell from the vibe of a restaurant whether regular customers have confidence that things will go well and that was certainly the case here. The attention to detail in both the cooking and in the service show that the restaurant is well managed. I would recommend Lantern to anyone going to Chapel Hill. I had been there before some years ago and was pleased that the excellence was as I remembered.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This restaurant is a bit special for my wife and I, as we tend to go on special occassions. I have had several meals here and they all have been excellent. The service is excellent. The atmosphere of the restaurant is good, not great; but that is not what I really look for in a restaurant. As long as the atmosphere is not a distraction, I'm generally happy with it. There is added room outside which is great (though I don't know how it will work out in the North Carolina Summer). Back to the food, Asian themed, and very accessible. Portions are appropriate and the offerings taste as good as they read, which is special. The only negative I have is that some of the drinks at the bar have not been quite up to snuff, but everyone has a bad day.

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

The Lantern is an excellent restaurant that does not serve "run of the mill" food. The menu is always interesting with an unusual twist. It is expensive but well worth the cost. It has an impressive and changing wine list. The waiters are very knowledgable and interested in making your dining the best experience possible.