“Best for Brunch”

Ranked #19 of 298 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I've been to Crooks several times, for dinner and for brunch and brunch is definitely the best. Dinner is overpriced for what it is. Brunch is great though! Average price is around $10-13. My favorite is the shrimp and grits. One of the best I've ever had.

There are newer reviews for Crook's Corner

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Food delicious and service fantastic. Ate outside which was nice. Had the most expensive meal of my life here. It was delicious i can't deny that but wished we hadn't offered to take friends here as a thank you as it was very pricey! Think i'd stick to food and go for after dinner drinks elsewhere!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I ate here for our anniversary. We haven't eaten in Chapel Hill in years (15?) so we were looking for something a little special, but not too fancy. We picked Crook's Corner because we remembered the shrimp and grits - and it was still good. Tender shrimp, with a kick of bacon and tabasco and green onions, on top of a layer of non-gooey cheese grits. We also had the jalepeño hush puppies (yum!) and split a salad and a cup of pinto beans and kale soup. Normally I wouldn't order a soup that I could make myself, but I was intrigued. The soup is earthy, but not boring, and the kale is not overpowering.

Why 5 stars? The service. We were outside, under the heaters, because a rehearsal dinner was inside. I was trying to keep my white wine cool, and the waiter brought me a wine cosy! In addition, he understood that we were splitting all the appetizers, and brought extra plates and spoons, which sounds like a tiny detail, but matters.

1  Thank WittmannAbroad
Reviewed 29 December 2013

It has been 23 years since I've eaten at CC. Maybe my memory isn't what it used to be or my palate has changed dramatically. I think the main thing CC is known for is the shrimp and grits and they are still good. Beyond that it is one of the most over rated, unappetizing places you will find in Chapel Hill. We ordered the Jalapeño-Cheddar hushpuppies that were burnt on the outside and uncooked on the inside. They were served with a cocktail sauce that tasted like pure ketchup. We ate 2 bites and moved the plate to the side. Our waitress Wendy (found her name on the check) never bothered to ask why we didn't eat them. I had the mixed green salad with house vinaigrette that was pretty good. For dinner my wife ordered the fried flounder with cole slaw and it was also some of the worst food ever served in a restaurant. The cole slaw tasted worse then any grocery store prepackaged product I've ever tasted. The fried flounder was half cooked (they would have done well to have undercooked the hushpuppies and overcooked the fish to find some middle ground) with what also tasted like a store bought tartar sauce spread on top instead of on the side. What if I didn't like tartar sauce? The shrimp and grits were good but certainly not what I remembered from the last time I ate here. Again the service was deplorable and not once were we asked how our dinner was. I gave the waitress (Wendy) a 10% tip and really felt stupid for giving her that much. Save your time and money and go to McDonalds. At least you will get your monies worth.

As a follow up, the next day a gentleman named Gene called me in response to a Twitter post I made. He was seemingly very interested in my comments about our visit. Gene offered us a return trip on him, which we declined and as full disclosure we do not live in Chapel Hill but an hour away. He then offered to refund my money and he did so promptly. I will say again that it would have been nice if someone had just once asked how our dinner was and maybe this whole situation could have been avoided.

1  Thank rocrow
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I really wanted to try this place out as it seems to be the "it" place in Chapel Hill.The first time I went they sat us in the back which I didn't like.I tend to be a little neurotic about where I'm seated at restaurants and Ive been known to walk out if it doesn't feel right to me.I was hungry though.I had a special and it was not memorable..I gave them another chance and went back for the soft shell crabs which were good but not the best I've ever had.When fresh you lightly batter and saute them in browned butter.Crooks Corner's soft shell crabs are dipped in a buttermilk batter which in my opinion is too heavy and the flavor overwhelms the delicate crab.It was crowded as the place is obviously popular.They have outdoor seating.