“BEST SHRIMP AND GRITS!”
Review of Crook's Corner

Crook's Corner
Reserve with OpenTable
Crook's Corner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 304 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Crook's Corner is on the corner of West Franklin Street and Merritt Mill roads, where Chapel Hill meets Carrboro. It's very casual and unpretentious, yet the food and the drinks are outstanding. Crook's Corner is where you'll find the original Shrimp and Grits (introduced in 1983) and also the best Fried Oysters and Banana Pudding renditions anywhere. Chef Bill Smith's dishes are often modern takes on heirloom dishes, or originals, for example: Atlantic Beach Pie or Jerusalem Artichoke Relish on grilled steaks. Some are wholly original, like Green Tabasco Chicken and Honeysuckle Sorbet. Some are super seasonal like Soft Shell Crabs (the best of the best). And some are quirky like Orange Red Hot Sorbet. Some are gutsy and only on for a few days (like Turtle Soup or Sweetbreads). Things on the menu since the 80s and ordered a plenty are Frozen Mint Juleps, Shrimp & Grits, Mt. Airy Chocolate Souffle Cake. Join us for dinner or Sunday Brunch inside or on the patio.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I went to school in Durham for two years and everytime I return to the area, I MUST make a stop at Crook's Corner. It has the best shrimp and grits (I get it without the mushrooms) in the south. I also get the banana pudding for dessert. It's the cutest restaurant and I've been there with various sizes and everyone has loved what they ordered.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Walked in almost by accident and boy am I glad I did! Wonderful service, great food and good value! I had their signature shrimp and grits which were absolutely good but it was the candied grapefruit ice cream and amazing cookie it was served with that knocked my socks off! Cornbread was also excellent! If I lived nearby - I would be a regular!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We're local and enjoy the Chapel Hill dining scene a lot. Whenever friends come to town for a visit, this is one of the first places we take them to and it is rare that any of our guests have ever been disappointed. Shrimp & Grits is the "signature dish" of Crook's but I usually order one of the seasonal specials. Seeing Ducks Heading South, Cheese Pork, Soft Shell Crabs with purple slaw and pan fried chicken livers on the nightly menu all bring a smile to my face. In addition to chef Bill Smith's iconic honeysuckle sorbet, the Atlantic Beach Pie and Banana Pudding are a great way to end a meal. IMHO the James Beard award as an America's Classic restaurant that Crook's was presented was well deserved.

1  Thank mediakzar
Reviewed 15 April 2014

By far one of the best icons of southern cooking in the south. Best in warmer months when you can enjoy outdoor dining and reap the benefits of seasonal cooking....Honeysuckle ice cream...yum. Shrimp n' Grits are legendary but don't steer away from some of the nightly fare that is always superb. Whole fish in paper, best fried oysters on the planet and oh...nothing wrong with the cold fried chicken dinner.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Went there with my son who is attending UNC @ CH, for lunch and to try the Shrimp and Grits. At first we couldn't find the place, then saw a line of people lined up outside the restaurant. Looked up and saw the "Pig" sign. Parked the car, thank God (often do) we had reservations, a must. Service was excellent as was the food. Will go again! RR

1  Thank rrygiel