“Great traditional NC BBQ!”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #28 of 299 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My girlfriend and I live just down the road from The Pig but somehow we had never ate there until just last week. I had the pulled pork large plate and my girlfriend got the rib plate. The pulled pork was really good and their vinegar sauce is great and reminds me of eastern NC vinegar sauce. The ribs were really good and their BBQ sauce is good and smokey. Great bark on the ribs. We both got the mac n' cheese as a side which was really good and unique. It had some kind of seasoning in it that made it taste kind of tex-mex like. Their hush puppies are really good and the dough was soft, unlike the traditional grainy hush puppies. I wasn't a fan of the cole slaw as it was a vinegar/mustard base and I'm more of a mayonnaise based fan but I'm sure others like it. Their prices are a little high but you get a lot of food for your money. We had leftovers for 2 days. We'll definitely be coming back.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stopped here for lunch and were pleased with the friendly service and good food. We enjoyed the outside dining option and the beer choices as well. I had the Carolina po-boy, which was excellent, with pimiento cheese and collard greens. I did add some vinegar sauce to moisten it even more. Friends had the fried bologna sandwich, which had one thick slab of house-made meat, and your choice of toppings. One person had the beef brisket, which was tasty, but not as tender as expected. We shared a side of mac and cheese, which was decadently good. The generous serving of pickles with each meal were out of this world as well.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Pig is okay. In many regards, it is more than okay--imaginative mixing of cuisines, local produce, locally cured pig, etc.--but sometimes this mix falls flat on its face as with an Asian/Cajun mix I had a couple of months ago. And there are many places in the area that are better. The gumbo is a mere shadow of what Creole/Cajun gumbo should be. The BLT can't compare in taste to that made by Merritt's though their bacon is delicious. Go there if you are on that side of town. But if you are close to Carborro--or to Franklin Street--pass it up.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Went there for the first time last week for takeout. Got chicken and collards. Batter on the chicken was a little doughy but tasty and the chicken was tender. This is def one of the better barbecue restaurants in Chapel Hill.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

It had been a while since I was here and while I knew I liked it, I forgot how much. The pork was outstanding, seasoned perfectly and up there with the best I've had. The beans were excellent. They have some great beers too.