“Greasy but good”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Bigger Better Biscuits for Breakfast and Lunch! In brief, Sunrise was established in 1978 in Louisburg, NC (actually 1977 but that is a longer story) and has been responsible for providing Bigger Better Biscuits for Breakfast and Lunch ever since. Our biscuit recipe is based on my Grandmother's recipe. Her biscuits helped give her the stamina to give birth to 17 children and live to almost 100. Our Award-Winning Chapel Hill location is a Drive-Thru Only Restaurant for your convenience. The Louisburg location features a Drive-Thru option as well as seating. Our regular customers particularly value our great food and fast, friendly service. In addition to biscuits, we also serve hamburgers and hot dogs. Our sandwiches include barbecue, chicken salad and tuna salad (chicken and tuna salad in Chapel Hill only and made on-site). A real southern treat is our sweet tea. Come by soon! Our Chapel Hill restaurant is located at: 1305 East Franklin Street Chapel Hill, NC 27514 (919) 933-1324 Our Louisburg restaurant is located at: 208 S. Bickett Blvd. Louisburg, NC 27549 (919) 496-2609
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I do like Sunrise, and I appreciate what a good deal it is, but be prepared to feel guilty after scarfing down some greasy chicken, slices of cheese and hash browns. So while their biscuits may be slightly larger and definitely fluffier than similar, nearby restaurants, (Flying Biscuit, Big Ed's City Market, Elmo's, Cracker Barrel), I think I'd prefer smaller and less greasy at the end of the day. Take your meal over to the UNC campus and enjoy a Southern picnic outside on the lovely quad.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Tiny joint that's drive thru only. Never had their biscuits but have ALWAYS shot in one of their cinnamon rolls which are hot and sticky and absolutely WONDERFUL!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Nice little drive through biscuit place in Chapel Hill. Homemade biscuits. I had the chicken, bacon, cheese and egg. Recommended for a to go breakfast or a small lunch to go.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

If you want a marvelously wonderful chicken or sausage biscuit Sunrise is your stop. Yes, this is a drive through kitchen that offers yummy selections on an old fashion board. The lines are frequently down the street but there is a reason for such. DELICIOUS!!!!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is the second of a two restaurant mini-chain that began in Louisburg, NC in 1978 -there are some other biscuit restaurants with Sunrise in their name, but the one here is only associated with the one in Louisburg (website - sunrisebiscuits.com) The menus are, of course, very similar, as is the operation in general - the one in Louisburg does have some inside seating as well as a drive thru. The Chapel Hill location has achieved an iconic status for a lot of folks - some credit for this is undoubtedly due to the student population that often grazes here, good for business but rarely a beacon leading to great food, regardless of cuisine type.

I like the biscuits here, but I don't think they're the best, not even the best in Chapel Hill - both TimeOut and BoJangles have a better stand-alone biscuit, and frankly, a number of places put together a better breakfast biscuit than Sunrise (Biscuitville, for example) - but, these are good biscuits, and I like them, but I like others more.

The Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuit ($3.29) we ordered was just ok - the bacon was limp, not at all crispy; the egg was one of those scrambled layer things identifiable as an egg product only by the yellow color & a certain amount of trust, thin and dry; and the cheese was not melted. The biscuit itself was nice.

I ordered a Hot Dog here, for the first time, and was very pleasantly surprised. Visually, it is not the best looking Chili Dog I've ever ordered - the chili is meaty, but very dark in color, the bun, while soft, is rather wrinkled looking, and the onions are coarsely chopped, somehow failing to blend into the overall dog. But, the taste was very, very good - this is a dog I'd order again - not saying it is a Destination Dog, but it definitely is a Ride BY Dog.