“Place has gone downhill fast”
Review of Penang Restaurant - CLOSED

Penang Restaurant
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Malaysian, Thai
Chapel Hill, NC
“Place has gone downhill fast”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This used to be a great place. They have a huge menu with multiple Asian specialties. Their fried rice can be excellent. But they've gone way downhill. They no longer have sushi, the place seems tired, worn and a bit dirty, and full Friday nights have been replaced by half-empty ones. No reason to go here with other choices in town. Give it a pass.

Visited July 2011

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Not At All What I Expected. A Serious Disappointment”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I was born and grew up in Long Island NY. I had eaten at many a restaurant in NYC as well as Long Island and certainly there was ok, good, real good and amazing. I was dying for crispy duck and when I got there I was surprised to see how filthy the restaurant was. I past the kitchen on my way to the rest room and soon began to realize why the kitchen was enclosed with bamboo roll down sheeting, I noticed a kitchen very cluttered with dirty and used cookware being reused. When I sat down, I asked the waitress about the menu and portions as I hadn't been there before. She explained that the portions are average and suggested that i get an appetizer if I was real hungry. I started with the beef dumplings. They were not very flavorful and came with a couple drops of sauce and barely were decorated with sliced carrots. If they tasted good they would have been ok. When I asked for something like a bit more of sauce or something the waitress explained that any extra sauce would cost more money. This was very disappointing and made no sense. My guest had the mango chicken i tasted it and it was tasty but it was served in a half carved out mango and was barely enough for one, it came with white rice but we had to ask for it because the waitress wasn't sure if it came with dinner. I finally (20 minutes later), received my boneless duck. It was tasty but wasn't boneless, and again was the smallest portion of duck i had ever received and there wasn't any vegetables or rice or anything that accompanied it. Essentially it was a duck breast prepared well all by its lonesome on a big plate, however very very pricy for what they presented to me. To be honest others around me were not real happy and also voiced their concern regarding the small portions they received. The waitress didn't seem to respond to my concern other then to say she hears that often. I have had Peking Duck and Crispy Duck prepared by many restaurants even here in NC and have always had larger portions and it was always accompanied by rice and vegitables. It never costed more then Penang was charging me sometime even less. The Best duck I have had to date in NC is Wasabi in McGregor Village in Cary. The Food there is second to none. Other area asian, Thai, and Malaysian restaurants serve much larger portions and don't charge anymore ( often less) and are far better. I don't understand the lack of cleanliness for a restaurant on franklin street which charges high prices and serves small portions and with out any regard to an amicable atmosphere. Well I guess you can safely assume I wouldn't return for round two as the waitstaff was asked to address my concern and clearly reported that "this is the way we do it" she apologized and understood if I didn't come back. Wow I just didn't understand.

• Visited May 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
“I've eaten here twice, wanting to like it”
Reviewed 18 May 2010

But i just can't give it a positive review. Both times i ordered one appetizer and one entree. The second time i ordered something completely different (namely, because the first venture wasn't very good).

I live in Atlanta and we have tons of great Thai places, so maybe I'm spoiled. The food wasn't hideous, it was just boring and fair -- and way overpriced. The food here is more expensive than Atlanta thai restaurants too. I guess that's what lack of competition will do for you.

The service both times was uninspired and lazy. Save your money and go elsewhere.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Authentic Penang food, love it. Better than K-Wok in Minneapolis.”
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Authentic Penang food, love it. Better than K-Wok in Minneapolis.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I've only had take-out so I can't rate the full experience, but the take-out was DELICIOUS!!!”
Reviewed 14 January 2008