“My favorite restaurant since I was 8”

Tandoor Indian Restaurant
Ranked #132 of 295 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite restaurant since I was 8”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I first ate here when my family moved to Chapel Hill and it's been my absolute favorite ever since. Chicken Tikka Masala is my favorite dish. If I had to eat one thing for the rest of my life (without health ramifications due to lack of variety) it would be Chicken Tikka Masala. I get it with garlic nan and then a mango lassi for desert. The staff are very friendly and they recognize me. It is moderately priced, which means relatively cheap eating out at an Indian restaurant. My meal if alone would cost about 24 dollars plus tax. They also sometimes have all of my favorites on a buffet, I forget the price on that but it's a very good deal. The restaurant has a great vibe and I love to look at the artwork they have. The hours are good whether you like to eat early or late. It's not a place you can go if you wake up in the middle of the night craving Indian food but I don't know of any Indian restaurants that do that. Truly amazing restaurant. The one visit specific questions I answered as my most recent visit.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Alex M

Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Family Favorite”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have been going here for 14 years with my family, and I have never had a better Saag Paneer. The staff is always friendly. There is always a table available for us (which is a lifesaver on Christmas Eve or other times when finding a seat is hard) and the food is always wonderful! Furthermore, the prices are very reasonable.

They have redecorated the restaurant with a Bollywood theme, which I think is lovely!

In order to enter the restaurant, you must descend some very steep stairs. Therefore, I would 100% recommend this restaurant unless you have an elderly or special needs person in your group.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank jcarmel89
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Poor Experience”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

This restaurant just didnt live up to expectations. Having some of the reviews we decided to give the restaurant a try and had even looked up the menu prior to arriving, so we had a good idea what we were going to order. I am from Birmingham in the UK which is famous for its Indian Restaurants and therefore have experience of his type of eatery. Upon being shown to our table and being given the menu, we noticed the prices have increased since the menu was updated on tripadvisor. We placed our order (Tandoor Meal for 2) and it just didnt meet expectations. The portion sizes were small based on US standards and the food was only luke warm. The naan bread was wafer thin instead of being doughy and puffed up. My partners plate was cleared before I had finished eating, we were not asked it we wanted the dessert (and we didnt it was rice pudding), and the waiter filled my water glass even though I had tolld him I didnt want it. The dessert was also delivered to the table before my plate had been cleared. I just felt this was a very rushed experience with food which was inadequate. I would go elsewhere where you are likely to get better food and have a better experience. The decor in the restaurant was garish and the back of the seat bolt upright which wasnt comfortable. The table is too far away from the benches which means you have to lean forward to eat.

• Visited March 2013
San Diego, California
“Not bad”
Reviewed 20 March 2013

First, let me say that I have had Indian Tandoori food in Sydney, Australia, where Indian street cafes are quite common. I am not bragging, just letting you know what I am comparing to. This restaurant in Chapel Hill is viewed as an exotic delicacy by regular patrons, I believe. I could be wrong. Regardless, I really like the low, robust spicy hot of Tandoori in general, and so I had a hankering for it. Another caveat: I live way out in the sticks outside of town, so half of the test of this restaurant was its delivery service. Both passed the test. I got the Tandoori combo platter, which was beef, chicken, and shrimp with rice and the Tandoori sauce. I was pleased at with the delivery time, under an hour. I was pleased that all items came in separate containers, and I was able to make up my own serving mixing the rice, the sauce, and the meats with grilled onions my own way. I was pleased with the chocolate cheesecake. They offered mild, medium, and hot. Of course, I ordered hot. My only complaint is that the Tandoori could have been a little spicier. Other than that, I think you will be pleased with this Indian restaurant. I recommend it. A bit expensive though, and I think that is because they can command the prices based on their 'rare' factor. Free delivery softened the price a little.

• Visited March 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Absolutely Delicious and the Staff is Wonderful!”
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I went here with a friend who wanted to use a groupon. I was hesitant when I saw the building but immediately changed when I met the staff. We were warmly greeted and when it came time to order all our questions were answered and service was fast. Although I did not have a groupon to use prices were reasonable and the food was amazing. I've been back a few times and highly recommend them. Food is authentic as is the customer service.

Visited May 2012