“Sunday night, not a lot of choices, this was good.”

Tandoor Indian Restaurant
Ranked #133 of 295 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
finger lakes NY
“Sunday night, not a lot of choices, this was good.”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I must admit that I really don't know much about Indian food, other than saying that I suspect that there are as many cusines in India as there are kinds of BBQ in the US. I went looking for BBQ this evening, and the place I intended to go was closed. Tandoor was on the way back towards the hotel, and I am glad I went in.

The restaurant is in the basement level of an insurance office building, not an auspicious initial setting, but as I was parking the car, two ladies of south asian descent were leaving, so I kept on parking.

They serve you a bit of a very spicy onion (?, I first thought red pepper) and some very flat bread with caraway seeds in it, very tasty combination. The menu seems extensive, with multiple appetizers, and various styles of main courses. Ideally, you'd go here with a group of adventureous diners to allow sampling more tastes; I ordered and enjoyed the combination platter as an appetizer (could have fed two people) and Lamb Roganjosh, a cubed lamb dish with a sauce of lots of tasty (and unknown to me) items, very thick so I'll suspect yoghurt as part of the base. I also ordered Nan, the pan-fried bread of India. ALL in all it was a very good meal.

Their menu explains the various dishes, and the server asked how spicy I wanted the food (I chose mild).

I would return here.

• Visited August 2014

Durham, North Carolina
“OK food, very slow service”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went to Tandoor using a Groupon certificate, arriving at 7:40 PM. They brought us menus and flatbread immediately and were very friendly, but did not come back to take our orders for 40 minutes. It was another 15 minutes to bring us our food.

The food was good; not great, but pretty standard. There appeared to be only two waitstaff, and 4-5 other tables of customers.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Susan A
San Diego, California
“A break from fried food!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We discovered this restaurant by accident after reading other tripadvisor reviews for the chicken bisquit drivethrough next door. We thought it had seating but only drivethru, so were glad when we saw Tandoor next door.

You have to go down a flight of stairs to get to the restaurant, so it's not accessable for everyone.

We had the lunch buffet. There were the normal offerings of Chicken Tikka, Tandoori chicken, pakoras, lentil soups, raita etc. It was a sold buffet and the food was very good.

I would definitely eat there again if I am in the area. It was a great surprise to find Indian food in the area and get a break from fried foods.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank susyernie
Salt Lake City, Utah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Buffet”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Buffet was small but the food was delicious. We live in Salt Lake City and like to visit Indian restaurants when we travel. We would recommend the buffet. Sweet rice was perfect.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank sherithompson13
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
“So Good!”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I went here with some friends one day expecting decent Indian food, but it was great! The menu is comprehensive, and there is a lot of variety offered by some of the House Specialty Dinners. I had the Bollywood Thali, and it had all of my favorite dishes -- the sauces were all amazing, and so was the nan, the kheer, and the samosa. While the prices were a bit higher than what I'm used to, I would still say it's worth it. The atmosphere is nice, very welcoming, and the service was excellent. The owners are so friendly! I liked it so much that I'm headed back later this week to try the lunch buffet!

• Visited September 2013