“great!”

Al's burger shack
Ranked #3 of 289 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Cuisines: American, Fast food
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
“great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

this place is great! the owner is a super nice guy, and the shakes are phenomenal. the burgers are really good too. my family loved this place:)

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I can't understand all of the rave reviews of this place on Trip Advisor. It's a cute little place and the owner is a very nice guy. But a burger joint stands or falls on the strength of its burgers and Al's burgers are good, at best. The burgers lack the meaty and juicy essence that makes a good burger. You can get a much better burger in Chapel Hill at any of the following places: Buns, Sandwhich, Bin 54, Kitchen. If you're willing to travel to Durham, Only Burger and Bull City Burger and Brew should do the trick.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank jh555
Manteo, North Carolina
“Best burger in the Triangle.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Located on Franklin Street. Eat outside or take it home. Burgers and crispy crinkle fries. Absolutely the very best...anywhere.

NC
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We hadn't been before and really liked. kids got the smaller burgers and ate them up - -good size. Shakes were very good with Maple View Ice Cream. Wife had the veggie burger which was incredibly good. I had the Paco - - spicy, still feeling the jalapenos on my lips, but i'd go back. seating is limited - - make others feel welcome to sit with you if there is room at your table....don't be a jerk. can imagine going back again and again and again. People working here were also very very nice.

Chicago
“A Great Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

We were in Chapel Hill visiting UNC and I wanted to take my son out for dinner but all the sit down places just weren't cutting it, based on their menu. We decided in the end to go casual and felt like trying one of the burger places in town and based on reviews we ended up here; and glad we did.
The menu is very basic, just a few choices but you can tweak them with toppings. We ordered the bacon cheese burger, the chili burger and large fries. The chili burger was good but not our favorite, perhaps it was the cole slaw, but the bacon cheeseburger was outstanding. We went with the 9 oz patty but next time I'd go with the 6oz. The surprise winner were the fries. They were one of the best I have had in a long time and perhaps it's good I don't live here or else I'd find myself coming back too often.
For seating there are pick nick tables outside and we shared a table with this lovely couple who we struck up a great conversation with. Overall we enjoyed our meal and time and should my son end up going to UNC then I'll be back to Al's.