“not that big or exciting”

Morehead Planetarium and Science Center
Ranked #6 of 46 things to do in Chapel Hill
More attraction details
Owner description: Educational and entertaining programs for all ages that teach and explore the science of the universe.
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I was excited about visiting this planetarium, but it was disappointing. We did not watch the movies, so maybe that would have made it better, but the exhibit area (in the basement) was small. It was free so I guess I shouldn't expect too much but the gift shop was bigger than the exhibit area! If you're already on UNC campus, it's probably worth a walk through the building, but I wouldn't make a special trip to this planetarium.

1  Thank DCP75

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I've been going to Morehead since I was a child visiting Chapel Hill with my own parents. My son loved it. My only complaint is that they no longer have the enormous projector in the middle of the planetarium but I guess that's a sign of the times.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

This was our first visit to Chapel Hill. Our ten and twelve year old boys loved the Magic Tree House presentation at the Morehead Planetarium. It was nicely done and very easy for them to understand the solar system. They were mildly interested in the other exhibits. However, a walk through the campus of the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill was a big hit and they both have a first choice school on their college list!

1  Thank cms41762
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Not really that fun for my kids and slow and boring for adults. Great potential here that is not being achieved. The Elmo/China character story seemed contrived.

1  Thank techai
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Something nice to do in Chapel hill. I like their theatre's overhead screen. I saw a show about the effect of mans activities on our planet. It was really enlightening. The souvenir shop is well stocked with unique souvenirs.