“An excellent hotel. I wish more were like this!”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I am a frequent business traveler. I am typically a loyal Marriott customer, and truthfully, if there were a Marriott around I probably would have not discovered this gem. Upon arriving from Atlanta, I was greeted by a very warm, and courteous woman at the front desk. She was very pleasant and told me my room had been upgraded since they booked up in my room class. Breakfast was complementary, the rooms were spotlessly clean and well appointed. The hotel is very 'nouveau classy' and I loved the location nestled amongst nice retail on a typical Americana main street. I would gladly stay here again, and if I could transplant this hotel all over the US, I'd be a loyal Franklin Hotel customer.

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NGeorgiaGuy

Reviewed 7 April 2011

My daughter and I stayed here during a campus visit to UNC. The hotel is very nice. I liked the fact that it was very clean, had nice rooms and bathrooms, had free parking, good location on Franklin Street, very convenient (walking distance) to UNC campus, friendly staff, great breakfast - cooked to order and included in the room rate, and convenient to great restaurants. Overall, we had a very nice stay. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Only hotel on our ten day trip that wasn't within my loyalty club, so wasn't expecting anything special but was I ever surprised! We arrived very early, not expecting to be allowed to check in but we were warmly greeted by the front desk, told about the hotel, allowed to check in and asked if we needed help with luggage, etc. Booked a room with 2 queen beds and a balcony, so there was some initial concern regarding noise on Franklin Street; however, we were given a room on a high floor and couldn't hear anything from the street below. The room was tastefully decorated and our family of three appreciated the separate vanity area which was something we did not have at the other hotels on this trip.I am a bath taker and I was surprised there was only a shower, but not a big deal at all. My husband used the exercise facility and stated that it was nice, also noting it had a bowflex and treadmill, etc. The front desk was very helpful in answering the questions we had regarding dining options in the area and we were greeted by all hotel staff in passing on every occasion. All in all was a great stay and I would definately return if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2011

This was my fourth visit to Chapel Hill as the parent of a UNC student. This time we stayed at the Franklin. I have traveled all over the country and I have never had a better experience in a hotel. The room was lovely, the staff did exactly what we needed, the food was fantastic, the bar perfect. What amazed me was that it cost 1/2 of what the Carolina Inn was charging - including discount- and the service and food was much better. I will always stay here in the future. Kudos especially to Bryan in the bar.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cagirl63
Reviewed 9 March 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel after getting tickets to a UNC men's basketball game. We wanted a hotel close to the campus and near all of the attractions of Chapel Hill. We were not disappointed. Situated on Franklin Street there was a seemingly endless selection of great restaurants and bars. It is just off of the UNC campus. The hotel was lovely and the staff attentive. We had a room with a balconly overlooking the main street. Surprisingly, it was not loud at night. The windows blocked out all of the street noise. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Chapel Hill area.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I wanted to love my stay at The Frankin Hotel - it is perfectly located in downtown Chapel Hill and has a lovely asthetic. Unfortunately, my stay was ruined by poor service from the front desk. We arrived at noon, hoping for an early check-in because we were going to a 2pm play. We were told that no rooms were clean and available but that the cleaning staff was working to clean rooms and turn them over. We were told there were 3 rooms ahead of us and would get the 4th room that because available. The woman at the front desk asked us to come back in an hour or so. We returned at 1:15pm. Again we were told our room was not ready and there were no clean rooms available. We quickly changed in the lobby restroom and we to the play. We returned at 5:30pm to check in to our room. Unbelievably, they still did not have a room available for us. Needless to say, we were beyond disappointed (and worried we wouldn't have time to change or would be late for our dinner out that evening - we were just late). Other than the wonderful bellcap Warren who had seen us throughout the day and sincerely apologized for the problems, there was no apology from anyone at the front desk or any explanation as to why they did not have a room available for us. In fact, it was only at Warren's suggestion that they gave us a free drink in the bar to try to make up for this hassle. Once in the rooms, they were fine and clean. However, we asked for a wake up call on the morning of our departure, and it never came. Luckily we had set our phone alarms or I fear we would have missed our morning flight. The front desk actually called 30 mins after our requested wake up call - as we were walking out - and I told them the wake up call had never come and they said only it should have. Again, there was no apology for the oversight. Overall, I cannot recommend this hotel based on our experience - the front desk bordered on incompetent and was wholly unapologetic for the problems we experienced.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank MCR99
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I was seriously blown away by the Franklin Hotel. We have stayed at the Carolina Inn before and other great hotels in New York, and nothing can come close to how amazing The Franklin was. We were greeted by very friendly staff and it was the easiest check in I've had. The hotel is clean to perfection. The room was extremely spacious and the bed was super soft. The private balcony was HUGE & amazing and I wish I had spent more time on it!!! This is a great room to entertain friends on the patio. The shower was perfect and hot & the amenities were wonderful (nicer quality soaps, etc). We decided to have drinks after dinner at the bar and the bartender was extremely nice and no one there acted pretentious. Everyone made us feel very welcome. We will definitely be returning for our next anniversary. Oh, and the breakfast is to die for..complimentary breakfast at the Windows restaurant... perfect french toast with bananas and blueberries and omelets.. oh my goodness, so delicious!

I would for sure skip over the Carolina Inn and stay down the road at the Franklin.. it's newer, nicer, and quieter.... you get way more for your money too. Oh and there's free parking.... at the Carolina Inn they rip you off and you have to pay $25!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple