“Excellent Service and Very Clean Room!”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I had the pleasure of checking into The Franklin Hotel for a one night stay July 20, 2011 with my Mom. We were in town on business, and the hotel was a much needed break after a very busy day. From the moment we pulled in and the gentleman Stephan helped us out with our bags. The Franklin has underground self parking for hotel guests with in and out privileges. We kept our keys which made it a breeze to come and go, you just use your room key to access the parking lot. We were offered sweet tea, ushered to the reception desk and check in was lovely. Becky and Deidre both answered all of our questions and welcomed us to a great stay. Our room was extremely well kept, very clean, and quite spacious. We did have a room with a balcony. It was 105 degrees in Chapel Hill so the balcony was not used. The room had complementary water and wireless Internet which is always a plus. I was also made aware of a free made to order breakfast in the morning, unfortunately due to time constraints we did not partake in breakfast. Overall I would really have to say that The Franklin Hotel raised the bar extremely high for other hotels not only in the Chapel Hill area, but hotels in general. My experience was simply wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank ColoradoSnowTraveler

Reviewed 23 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel after seeing it on TripAdvisor and deciding to stay near UNC as we completed area college tours and got in some relaxation. Location is fantastic, right in the heart of darling Chapel Hill, and it's easy to pull right into the garage. We buzzed at the gate to be let in, and within 2 minutes we had a bellhop waiting beside our parked car to carry our bags inside. Every detail of service was carefully thought out and graciously given, from sweet tea at check-in to an included cook-to-order breakfast in their lovely dining room overlooking Franklin Street. You can even choose pillows from a "pillow menu"! The room was beautiful, with a balcony overlooking the action, though it was too hot for us to enjoy it. No add-on fees - internet, parking, breakfast all included - and the hotel graciously allowed us to stay late in the garage during our campus tour. We would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank motraveler90
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This is a nice hotel on the main street in Chapel Hill. The bed was a bit soft, but AC worked well even with temperatures > 90 degrees. Staff was helpful and friendly, with a cookie at the front desk in the afternoons. The location of the hotel was ideal for checking out Franklin Street, and it was a 20-30 minute walk to Carborro.

A few downsides: the breakfast, which was include with the room, was OK (you either order an egg dish or non-egg dish such as a waffle). While I have had had worse breakfasts (see my review for the Darlington Hotel in London), the breakfast would not be worth more than $12-15. Also parking spots were limited. For my two nights, I was able to find a space at the hotel, but on more busy nights, this may have been an issue.

Overall, I was happy with my stay at the Franklin and would return in the future.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Evanston_Jeff
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Having never been to North Carolina, much less UNC, we definitely picked The Best Hotel to call home while visiting Chapel Hill. One of the only 2 "on campus" hotels, The Franklin is in the middle of all the action on Franklin street as well as walking to the campus. This is every bit as nice as a 5 star Ritz, with enormous rooms, free parking and wifi, and a wonderful made to order breakfast in their beautiful Windows Restaurant, also included in the price of the room.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank TravelNicer
Reviewed 7 July 2011

This is a very nice hotel with a delightful staff that aims to please. The room was clean maid service was good, bath products to match any 4 or 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in. I would recommend this to anyone staying in Chapel Hill. Hotel value was good particularly with the full breakfast offered.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank avd59
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I loved my stay at the Franklin Hotel. The room felt elegant, comfortable and was very quiet. The bed was extremely comfortable!

There was ample free parking, secured by a gate. The free breakfast was served in a pleasant room and tasted fine.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank hotelgirl111
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I spent a night at The Franklin when in Chapel Hill for business. It is a beautiful hotel, with a friendly staff. The room was very nice, with good space for work and relaxation. My colleague was so pleased with the bathroom products that she asked for an extra set, which they were happy to provide.

I was particularly taken with the bar; really great selection, nice bartender. Also, the free included breakfast is actually a real sit down breakfast, not a buffet.

My only concern with the hotel was the fact that I could hear the TV in an adjacent room. Not sure if the person had the TV up very loud, or what, but it was clearly noticable.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business