“Excellent Hotel in Prime Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Raleigh, NC
“Excellent Hotel in Prime Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2007

My husband and I spent one night at the Franklin Hotel after Christmas to celebrate my birthday, and to have a relaxing night without our sweet two year old. We were both very impressed with the Franklin Hotel, and its staff. It is a lovely decorated property with an ideal location on Franklin Street. The street noise can be loud (a man camped out on a bench across the street did like to yell at passing cars every 15 minutes in the early afternoon after check-in) so we were delighted when we saw the pillow menu that also included a sound machine.

The rooms are beautifully appointed, and quite comfortable. The bed and bedding were exceptional. The bathroom is very nice. However, it is difficult for two people to be in the room at the same time to comb hair or brush teeth because the area is small and with the position of the toilet and the bathrrom door, it is just difficult. The walk-in shower is very spacious. The room does have a make-up area outside the bathroom with a nice make-up mirror to make up for the smaller bathroom quarters.

We did have drinks at the bar in the hotel before dinner, and thought it was very warm and inviting.

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at the Franklin Hotel and would highly recommend this property.

• Liked — The bedding and bed
  • Disliked — We liked everything!!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2007

The Franklin Hotel is a great place to stay in Chapel Hill. The room was clean, comfortable and stylish. I liked the modern bathroom and amenities. I plan to stay here during my next visit to town.

• Liked — Relaxing Environment; Stylish and Comfortable Decor
  • Disliked — Noise from Hallway
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
Evans, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2007

My first impression was that a team had got together to implement what guests would really like. On entering room the view of the bathroom with marble vanity is impressive. So, too, are the room colors, crisp white sheets, turn-down service, choice of pillows and very comfortable bed.

But there are some flaws. As previously mentioned, the a/c was noisy, the location of the closet badly designed so that if it was even slightly ajar it was hit by the room door and the leaky shower door. Service for breakfast was far too slow. Most surprising was that there was no turndown service on the Saturday night. Not sure if this is standard or just a glitch that night, but it was a disappointment after the previous days.

• Liked — Comfortable and pleasant room
  • Disliked — where the closet was situated
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2007

I stayed here for a brief night on a road trip back home to Texas from Connecticut. It looked nice on the website and the reviews here were pretty decent, so I decided to try it. I'm glad I did!

The location is ideal for Chapel Hill...within walking distance of the UNC campus and a variety of restaurants, from very upscale to the college students' 2am greasy fix. My room, which had a large window overlooking Franklin Street (no balcony), was spectacular. I admit that I'm somewhat of a decor snob, and these rooms are incredible. The colors, furniture, textiles, molding, and overall finishes show an attention to detail that very few hotels can match. I was very, very surprised and impressed. The linens are fabulous and the bed was extremely comfortable.

I'm a pretty low-maintenance traveler, but there were a few things that keep it from being a 5 to me. Service was good but not quite as polished as I'd expect from a hotel this physically attractive. I pulled up and idled in front of the hotel for several minutes, expecting for someone to come out and offer to take my bags or car, but I guess it's self-service. I'm not sure if it's always the case, and was a bit awkward, but I actually prefer to self-park and carry bags so turned out to be a positive. They really need a sign out front directing guests to pull into the garage.

Housekeeping attention to detail was not so good...I had a leaky toilet, broken toilet seat that was falling off, a noticably dirty (and sticky) spot on the carpet, a broken bedside lamp, and no soap in the shower. And as another reviewer mentioned, the air conditioning system is *very* loud. BUT...it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. My room had a connecting door, which was VERY poorly insulated, and I could stand in my room and hear every word of my neighbors' conversation. Unfortunately my neighbors were Beavis & Butthead, 2 youngish guys talking about ridiculous stuff with the f-word being every other word in the conversation. They came back late and started playing rap music at a ridiculous noise level, which woke me up, and at the same time I felt the room was a little stuffy. I got up to turn down the a/c, then as I was reaching for the phone to call the front desk about the noise, the loud a/c kicked in and the rap music was nearly gone. My advice...be sure your room does NOT have a connecting door. Fortunately the jet-engine a/c was very effective and I was able to fall right back to sleep.

All in all, I did enjoy the Franklin and can't imagine staying anywhere else if I return to Chapel Hill. The interior designer here is to be commended.

• Liked — Fabulous rooms, excellent location, good value
  • Disliked — Noise from connecting room, housekeeping concerns, loud a/c
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank lagunadallas
Asheville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2007

This hotel is greatly overrated. The location is good, on Franklin Street, which is the main drag in Chapel Hill. I should note, though, that Franklin Street is not all that interesting.

The hotel did not have the room available that was confirmed through Orbitz (King Studio) and had no option to compensate for this.

The room that was available (deluxe King with balcony) was rather small and had only one chair and a desk chair. The bathroom was also small and the lighting in the bathroom was so bad, that it was difficult to comb one's hair or shave.

All in all, it was a mediocre hotel, and I would not stay there again. Instead, I would opt for Residence Inn which has much more commodious rooms and a free breakfast. The breakfast available at the Franklin is grossly overpriced.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — poor lighting; small room
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank garysanta
Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2007

My daughter and I just returned from (yet another) college tour and had the good fortune to stay at the Franklin. I have nothing but praise for the hotel, the staff and the amenities. It is a European-style boutique hotel just two blocks from the busy crossroads of Franklin and Columbia Streets and was perfect in every way. The rooms are beautiful, serene and comfortable, with flat-screen wall-mounted television and lovely touches such as personalized stationery awaiting guests. There is a menu that offers a variety of pillows and a white noise machine for light sleepers. The beds were divine. And there is a dressing area with mirror outside the bathroom so I could put on makeup and dry my hair while my daughter took one of her famous endless showers. We did not try the dining options because we were on the run so I cannot comment on the food. Staff was friendly and helpful. I definitely recommend this hotel if you are heading to Chapel Hill.

• Liked — Elegant, serene, comfortable, wonderful service
  • Disliked — Loved this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank writegirl18
greenville,nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2007

Lovely small hotel, tastefully decorated. Seemed almost European in its very calm, polished wood atmosphere. Definitely a haven for grown-ups in this college town! Fabulous location, only a block away from the intersection of Franklin and Columbia Streets (the heart of downtown Chapel Hill).The price we paid for the room was the same as for the local chain hotels.
My only suggestion would be to soften the lighting on the room balconies--it was so bright that it was hard to see the view at night and made the room too bright even with the curtains drawn.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Chapel Hill University Inn
Chapel Hill University Inn
#6 of 17 in Chapel Hill

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!