“Sheets are Smooth as Silk!”
Review of The Franklin

The Franklin
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at the Franklin for 2 nights in a lovelt 2 room suite with balcony and found it restful and accommodating! Lucky for us we did not have a bug peoblem as I read the last review but I suspect any balcony could have "creature" comforts on any given day. What I loved were the comfortable and inviting beds with silky smooth linens (the hotel would have made a sale if they had extras to sell), the large bathroom and a huge living area with kitchen and dining area. We actualy ate in, having bought delicious foods at A Southern Season (a must stop for any foodie) and the leisurely conversation time as well as some "snuggle in and watch TV time" were just what we needed for some needed alone time. The hotel is wonderfully located, however for dining out or walking around the lovely town of Chapel Hill and taking in the sites and amusements of this lively university town. Would definitely return...pricey but a great get away if you plan to spend time in the room!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Franklin

Reviewed 12 March 2013

So I had the pleasure of staying at The Franklin Hotel for two nights in one of the suites. While the amenities were amazing, we had a serious issue with multiple roaches coming in off the balcony. What was more annoying then that, though, was the hotel's lackluster response to the whole incident. No one ever apologized or did anything. If I ever come back I'll just get a less nice room with no balcony.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SweetHomeNC
Jay P, General Manager at The Franklin, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2013

Dear SweetHomeNC,

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with unwanted pests in your room during your stay at The Franklin Hotel last summer. And I apologize that our team did not respond to this matter appropriately. We should have been empathetic to your experience and found you a more comfortable room that was sure to be free of insects.

Anyone would be annoyed at such a response from a hotel - I know I would!

You'll be pleased to know that late last summer we partnered with one of the leading pest control contractors in the area and have implemented an aggressive prevention program throughout our entire hotel. Because so many of our rooms have balconies, we felt this was the best way to ensure that our guests have a clean, critter free room.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We love getting feedback so we can focus on improving the right things. Hope to see you soon. Try the balcony again - you won't have to worry!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Great location, beautiful rooms, helpful staff. I don't think you can ask for much more. I felt like it was on the expensive side but we had no complaints. It allows you to walk to most restaurants and bars in the area. Made our trip to Chapel Hill very nice.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed at the Franklin Hotel while visiting UNC. The rooms are comfortable, clean and well decorated. The staff is very pleasant. I loved the location on Franklin St. We walked to campus easily even though it was cold outside. There were two negatives with our stay. The first was the cost of the rooms...we paid over two hundred dollars per night per room once taxes were added in...not sure the convenient location was quite worth it. The second was the size of the dining room for the "free breakfast." (Breakfast was included in the price of the room and it was fabulous..french toast, omelets, made to order eggs... not buffet style but in a dining room with a waiter.) Unfortunately, the dining room is small so we had to wait to be seated and then, in order to be seated together, we had to sit six people to a four person table. We had time to wait but I was annoyed. They should make their dining room larger. Overall, it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank buttercup16
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Something there is about a boutique hotel that blends an upscale decor and great with exceptional customer care and service. The location of the Franklin is terrific - walk out the front door and you're part of the Chapel Hill community. Staff members greet you warmly, but with a sense of personality and authenticity that is just plain refreshing. I experienced a " random act of kindness" at The Franklin that I"ll never forget. Thanks to the entire team at The hotel for reminding us what it feels like to be welcomed home.

1  Thank Roberta B
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I reveiwed back in 2011. Spent last Thurs and Fri with wife for Valentine's Day. I did complain about the room size previously, but this time we had a larger and very nice room facing Franklin Street. (It was a little more expensive.) I have no negatives this time. The staff is especially good, friendly and efficient. Daniel at the front desk went the extra mile for me. About an hour or two prior to arrival, I called and asked if there was any way to get a bottle of champagne and a dozen red roses in the room prior to our arrival. To my surprise, they were there! And this was on Valentine's Day. Very impressive. Got a chance to visit the bar and took advantage of our free drinks and cheese plate, which made a perfect light lunch. Kudos to all the staff at the Franklin! My place to stay when in Chapel Hill.

Room Tip: Cheapest rooms are kinda small, but next level up are roomy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to give us another review. We're so glad that you gave our hotel another chance, and that we were able to make a positive impression this time around.

Daniel is a committed to making each guest's experience special, and it's just like him to be able to pull together the champagne and flowers for you on Valentine's Day.

We look forward to having you with us again soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I stayed here for one night as part of a group block/event - not only is the location fantastic (right on Franklin Street - easy access to all the charm of campus and Chapel Hill), but the rooms are great (nicely decorated, new, quiet, comfortable bed) and everyone from the bell hop to the front desk team to the breakfast team were incredibly helpful and friendly.

As a perk, the hotel also has free parking, yummy cookies when you check in (if there are any left!), free wi-fi, and a cooked breakfast (the waffle was fantastic).

Room Tip: I suspect the rooms in the back (ie, not facing Franklin Street or facing the central lounges) are q...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapel Hill
#7 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Courtyard Chapel Hill
Courtyard Chapel Hill
#10 of 18 in Chapel Hill

Been to The Franklin? Share your experiences!