I visit Chapel Hill often and usually stay at the Carolina Inn. On my most recent visit, I decided to try the new Franklin to see how it measured up. It was there on a Sunday night in Aug, and they offered me $ 176 plus tax which was comparable.
The room was very impressive, a king bed with large windows facing Franklin Street & nearby good local restaurants. The combination of new flat screens with full cable selection clearly beats the Carolina Inn's circa 1980s offering. Bathroom great with a superb standup shower; and the king bed very comfortable. A/C worked just fine.
Knowing Chapel Hill, I had been a little concerned about safety issues within a few blocks (towards Carrboro) of the Franklin. This did not seem to be an issue however, with secure parking underneath the hotel -- not sure what happens if that lot is full.
With everything else so positive, I was very disappointed in the second floor restaurant (breakfast only). There is no buffet, not even coffee, so everything off the menu a la carte. When i was there, only one customer present plus one gentleman who stood at the entrance waiting forever for an OJ & coffee to take to his room. Seven staff (I counted) took unbelievably long and seemed completely disorganized. It took 20 minutes for my order of one bowl of granola and a side of bacon and coffee. That was $15, including three dollars for a lukewarm coffee. I could go on!
Not sure what they're serving in the Lobby Bar or room service, but I would definitely skip any food orders in this otherwise great place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We'd love for you to stay with us whether you're in town for business or pleasure! We are the only hotel in downtown Chapel Hill, right on Franklin Street - just steps away from all the action such as UNC Chapel Hill's campus, Dean Smith Center, Kenan Stadium, UNC Hospitals, Morehead Planetarium, Ackland Art Museum, and tons of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options. Our guiding principle is to be hospitable, so we focus on our interactions with you above all else. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Franklin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Franklin Hotel Chapel Hill
- The Franklin Chapel Hill, North Carolina