My husband and I have been staying at the Carolina Inn when we are visiting Chapel Hill. This time I decided to give The Franklin Hotel a try, given the reviews. I'd say this is the better option of the two. The other reviews here are spot on, so I won't reiterate. I will add a few pros and cons, from our experience:
Check in was a breeze, and very pleasant.
Cookies were great! (Wish they were available around the clock tho.) ;)
Cooked breakfast was excellent.
Service was excellent, all around.
Room was very clean and comfortable.
Room was very quiet, but I don't think it was a busy time for the hotel, so not sure what it would be like if the hotel was near capacity.
We got a room with a balcony over Franklin St. Wish I had known that the room actually only had a mini-balcony (barely enough room to stand outside, let alone take a chair out there), and not actually one of the bigger ones that the other rooms seem to have, with a table and chairs. Perhaps the larger balconies were for the suites, but then that would mean they have a ton of suites. In any case, I felt a little bit mislead by the availability of that amenity.
The standing shower stall was very nice. However, the shower head attached to the wall was towards the back of the corner shower stall, and when I reached in quickly to turn on the water to let it heat up for an evening shower, the very cold water was aimed directly for me, and straight out the stall. Within moments the bathroom floor was completely wet, and my clothes were drenched from having to run back in the shower and attempt to adjust the aim of the shower head. That was not the relaxing experience I had hoped for. Perhaps checking the shower head aim could be brought to the attention of cleaning staff and added to their check-list?
The air conditioner will only go down to 68 degrees. While this is probably fine for most, we like it a tad cooler. Also, there is noticeable road noise from motorcycles, etc., every once in a while. By setting the fan to be always on, regardless of whether or not it was sending out cool air, helped provide white noise. It is a bit loud tho, so if you aren't accustomed to fairly loud white noise, this may bother some.
Despite these (fairly minor) issues, we would definitely recommend this hotel to others.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We'd love for you to stay with us whether you're in town for business or pleasure! We are the only hotel in downtown Chapel Hill, right on Franklin Street - just steps away from all the action such as UNC Chapel Hill's campus, Dean Smith Center, Kenan Stadium, UNC Hospitals, Morehead Planetarium, Ackland Art Museum, and tons of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options. Our guiding principle is to be hospitable, so we focus on our interactions with you above all else. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Ebookers, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Franklin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Franklin Hotel Chapel Hill
- The Franklin Chapel Hill, North Carolina