“Good Location, needs some updates”

Residence Inn Chapel Hill
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I stayed here recently to visit with friends and family. The location is relately close to downtown Chapel Hill, NC. When we checked in I was asked to sign a quiet policy. I thought this was interesting, but gladly signed it. I had reserved a King suite. When I made the reservation I specifically asked for a high floor, extra pillows, and extra towels. None of my requests were fulfilled. I'm not sure why Marriott asks it's customers for specific requests if they cannot provide them. Nice try though.
The room itself was OK. Cosmetically it could use an update and the furniture had better days. There were visible rips in the furiture upholstry, carpet rips, and the couch was shot. It was a convertible, but the cushion needed to be replaced. The toilet also leaked when flushed. I guess housekeeping is just oblivious to these items or the last guest didn't care?
The second morning were were awoken at 5:55am by the hotel fire alarm. Quite a loud one too! We exited the building and waited. After about 5 more minutes of the alarm sounding it was silenced. No one from the staff told guests what was going on or if it was ok to re-enter the building. After waiting outside for about 15 min we went back in since other guests were returning to their rooms. The GM or whomever was in charge should have sent someone from the staff to notify customers as to the status of the fire alarm. We were at this hotel another 3 nights and never got an explaination. As far as the quiet policy being upheld, it wasn't in this place. The room across the hall was like a revolving door. Doors were slamming all hours of the day and night, and the guest above my room must have been wearing lead shoes. Constant walking about from above would drive anyone nuts.
Anyway in summary, I'm not sure I would stay here again, but it's definitely a good location if you have family or friends in Chapel Hill, NC. The daily breakfast (complimentary) was good. The wi-fi was not very strong in my room, thus internet browsing was slow.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room, away from a staircase.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Chapel Hill

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Overnight here for Duke Basketball game. Even though this is enemy territory for Duke fans, the hotel is clean, comfortable and very convenient to everything. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Rooom: Double queen suite was clean, spacious. Control over AC. Full size frig/freezer with ice maker. Basic kitchen supplies and double stove top burner, microwave. Housekeeping comes every day and runs dishwasher. TV in living area and bedroom. Large closet.
Extras: Wifi was free and fast. Staff was friendly. Parking convienent. I was traveling alone and felt very safe--well lit, inside hallways, locked doors that access the outside. Breakfast was great--lots of choices from cold to hot. Plenty of healthier options. ALso have a manager's hour three times a week with beer/wine and light dinner. ?They acutally do have a shuttle (website says they don't) that runs during the day. Also bus stop right outside the hotel and all buses in Chapel Hill are free. A note for those needing an accessible room--I stayed in one; the room was fine, but oddly pretty far from the one elevator.
I was very pleased and would stay here again without hesitation.
Overall, I was very

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My daughter and I spent 6 nights here. She attended camp during the day. We met several families who were staying here while their children also attended camp. The hotel room was perfect. The breakfast buffet was fresh and plentiful. The front desk staff were the friendliest and most knowledgable I have met in a long time. The location is close to grocery stores and other shops, and a short drive to the main area in Chapel Hill. The grounds are lovely and the pool is great. We cannot wait to return next summer.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This was an outstanding accommodation. Let me tell you why:
*Clean, spacious room
*Mattresses that were perfect--very conducive to a good night's sleep!
*Excellent, varied hot breakfast bar
*Manager's reception three evenings a week (heavy appetizers-enough for lite dinner)
*Free shuttle weekday
*Pet friendly! (yet clean, well cared for room)
*Helpful/personable/friendly staff

This is a place I will return to whenever business/pleasure travel brings me to the RTP/NC area. In fact, I will find a reason to return!

As a side note, we were in town b/c my husband was having surgery at UNC hospital. This hotel was an easy 10-min. drive to the hospital and the shuttle saved me time/hassle/parking money during the week.

I cannot praise this accommodation enough!!! EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My friend and I stayed here 3 nights, while being in the area for a family occasion. I enjoyed the stay. The weather was pleasant; we enjoyed complimentary breakfast on the patio, near the pool. Room was nice. Trader Joes, Barnes Noble, and of course UNC; right down the street. Easy access to 15/501 and 85.
A few things I didn't enjoy; dirty
cups in our cupboard! Nothing kills
a morning quicker than finding lipstick on a coffee cup you take out of the cabinet. The walls were very thin. I could hear the conversations of guests next door.
My stay overall was pleasant-room service prompt, food piping hot and tasty. I could also cook in my room and use the big fridge for my groceries.
Excellent customer service from front desk to maid service.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 16 July 2011

my husband and i came for a week in april on a mix of business and pleasure. to avoid paying for a petsitter, we also brought our cat (one-time $75 fee, regardless of length of stay). we were very pleased with our experience at the residence inn. both of us spent long hours working, and the hotel room was always quiet. we enjoyed the manager's special in the evenings (free food and wine!) and the breakfast in the morning was generous. the exercise room was small but more than adequate, and there was free wi-fi. i've always been a fan of residence inn and this was no exception (remember the rooms come with a kitchen, so you can always buy and fix up your own food too!) would stay again. (one note, the location is not the closest to UNC-CH campus, so if you're coming without a car, be prepared to wait for the bus or a loooong walk up franklin st).

Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family