“Great place”

Residence Inn Chapel Hill
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We're here for 11 days since our son is attending UNC & Duke basketball camps. The hotel isn't far from the universities which is a plus we've been trying all kinds of places to eat and truly have been a little disappointed since it's the south we haven't found that southern flare yet. The room was very clean and spacious I wish it had a oven but it has 2 burners to cook. Pool was a little chilly I guess the hot sun is suppose to warm it when u first get in it's so cold but overall it's clean and quiet out there at the pool area and tues, wed, thurs they have a lit dinner for you and comp. beer and wine I will stay here again if he returns next year great hotel!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank pokerolls

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel every week for the past year. During this time, the hotel maintained a consistently high level of quality with very few issues. The rooms are always very clean and well maintained. The front desk staff is fantastic. They know me by name and I am always greeted with a smile whether I am walking up the front desk or just passing them in the hall. The staff at this hotel is the most friendly and most helpful of any hotel I have ever stayed at.

The hotel breakfast is pretty standard, maybe a bit above average. The food is always hot and they have never run out of anything, even when I show for breakfast at the very last minute. The hotel really sets itself apart with the free dinner. I think its three nights a week the hotel provides a free dinner and happy hour. They give you enough food to fill you up and free beer or wine. Again, the food is always hot and I've never seen them run out.

The few issues I've had have always been resolved quickly and completely. Last week one of the lights in my room burned out. They had it replaced less than five minutes after I called the front desk about it. Another time I forgot my tablet in the room after checking out. Housekeeping brought the tablet to the manager, who kept it safe in her office until I came back the next week.

The location of the hotel is ok. There really isn't much within walking distance. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Starbucks are all a very quick drive, but there are no restaurants or shops within walking distance.

I really cannot say enough positive things about this hotel. I have thoroughly enjoyed staying with them and can only hope to find another hotel that provides such a high level of service.

Room Tip: The third floor tends to be the most quiet. Avoid rooms next to the stairs as you can hear people (e...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I should warn that my experience was not good, therefore, I probably overlooked the positives of this hotel because I was pretty angry.

I have a non weight bearing foot and get around with a knee walker, crutches, etc. I called many hotels around Raleigh to locate one that could accommodate me and this one said they could. When I say many hotels were called I am talking like 15 so it was very difficult to find a room for me. I was so happy when they Res Inn said they could a reserve me a room with a roll in shower.

When we arrived I stayed in the car and my husband checked us in. After 25 mins waiting in the car my husband comes out to tell me that they do not have the room, they gave it to someone else. I had to get out of the car and go in to speak to the front desk and explain that I booked the room two weeks ago with a guarantee that I would have a roll in shower. While the hotel staff was pleasant they looked at me dumbfounded as if they had no idea what to do. I found out that they had out me in regular room with no accessibility features. After stressing my point to no avail that I would like the room I was promised. I settled on an accessible room with a tub. Meaning I would have to go without a bath because I cannot get into a tub. The front desk said the man in my room was checking out the next day and they would move me into the right room as soon as it was clean. We waited around until 11:30 and he still had not checked out. We were supposed to stay 4 nights, we left after 1. They did not charge us for the room, but did charge 1.50 for 3 local phone calls I made. I only used their phone cause the cell reception in the hotel is non existent.

Here is my review of the hotel. Old, smells like a wet dog, pitiful breakfast, not accessible at all, the one elevator in the whole place is slow get the door closes on you incredibly fast. There was an ant crawling on the couch I was sitting on. The recliner in the room was broken.

I was very disappointed....

Room Tip: My advice....don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K K
Heather H, Manager at Residence Inn Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Karie5,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Residence Inn Chapel Hill.

You indicated in your comments that your stay was unsatisfactory. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Great stay for my family. The rooms were very comfortable and quiet. The grounds were beautiful. We really enjoyed the pool area. The staff was very friendly and courteous from the front staff to the cleaning staff. The breakfast was very good. We really enjoyed our stay and will stay again when in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed for five nights at the Residence Inn in Chapel Hill starting May 29,2014 while on a house hunting trip. We were beyond happy with our stay here. The staff at the front desk were amazing and made us feel like family. Our room on the third floor was very clean and roomy with a nice view overlooking the pool. They will even stock your fridge with items for you, what a nice service. The complementary breakfast had something for everyone and was yummy! The location was fabulous, close to dinning, shopping, coffee places etc. Wi-fi was free, we did upgrade to a faster service for an extra $4.95, well worth it. We would recommend this hotel and stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My only real complaint about this hotel is that there is no ice machine in the buildings where you actually stay. I suppose they expect you to make your own ice since there is a small kitchenette. However, this takes time and ice on check in would be nice. I did call the desk and they had me come to the main building bar area where I was given a ziplock bag of ice. There was no offer to bring it to my room. During our stay, one of the exterior door locks stopped working due to dead batteries. I thought my key was disabled, but after getting a new card it still didn't work. This required a couple of trips back and forth to the main building to get straight. They were not able to fix this during the evening because maintenance was not available. Curious.

Anyway, the rooms were spacious as always with a separate living area and sleeping area. We didn't really need the kitchen as we were just staying overnight, but it was clean and would be great for a longer stay. We were visiting UNC for a college tour and this was a great location with easy access to the campus. Parking at UNC is a bit of a nightmare, so leave the hotel early if that is your destination. We would certainly stay here again if we have a future Tarheel in the family, but I would suggest some ice machines.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was really really impressed with how nice this hotel is! The building is new and very nice. They even have granite countertop ! Everything is really nice and new. I am super happy with the location and service. I am definitely going to stay here again if I come back to Chapel Hill.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business