“Best Food & Wine in Chapel Hill”

Elaine's on Franklin
Reserve with OpenTable
Elaine's on Franklin is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 298 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Roberson Street
Transit: Elaine's is located less than 50 yards from the nearest Chapel Hill Transit stop. Chapel Hill's buses run free of charge all year round.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The 3 course menu is outstanding in taste, creativity and presentation. Our server Angela did a fantastic job with delivery & especially the wine pairings. She is knowledgeable and explained why the wines went with the dishes. Most of the wines were unknown to me but were perfect. This will become a favorite of ours. Perfect for those special occasions. Ask for the table near the window. It is private and you can watch the comings and goings on Franklin Street. The prices are very reasonable for the quality including the wine pairings. This is not McDonald's cheap however, but well worth it.

There are newer reviews for Elaine's on Franklin

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our son brought us here to celebrate the night before he graduated from Elon this past Friday. What a treat! Apart from the server who seemed like she was trying to rush us, and the rather steep prices on the main courses, the evening was quite wonderful.
After our drink order was taken, bread was offered (foccaccia and sourdough choices) and then an amuse bouche of chipotle-poblano bisque. Very nice!
Then I ordered two starters: the garlic bisque and the foie gras BLT. Garlic bisque was nice but my oh my the BLT was amazing! Another reviewer mentioned "too much bacon" but this had one small slice of candied bacon and it was perfect.I even went back to the kitchen to compliment the chef but sadly he wasn't there that evening. Apparently this concoction is famous, though, as it should be. Yummy.
Our son had the pork tenderloin (which he said was perfectly cooked) and grits and he loved it. My husband had two starters, like me, one of which was oysters, and he had nothing bad to say either.
All in all, it was a lovely and festive evening. I would love to return one day.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Elaine's has become my favorite restaurant in Chapel Hill. It's dethroned Lantern on my list, especially with the friendly, efficient, and polite service. It's also the best deal on high end restaurants in town.

Great place to eat at the bar... Nice design and the bartender is very good. The cocktails are lovely and not too expensive. Good selection and range of wine.

The food is always great.

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Been at least a year since we last ate at Elaine's. We remembered it as expensive, fair service, haughty attitude and food with too much bacon. The service and attitudes have significantly improved which is great. The prices were still too high, and still too much bacon. Still, it was better, and we appreciated particularly our server, Laura. She was great. The chef and/or owner should come out and meet patrons sometime.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We have eaten at Elaine's many times over the years, but last night stood out! We always have great food here, which is why we decided to celebrate our 15th anniversary at Elaine's. No one knew of our celebration, but that was ok, that made it perfect anyway :)
We had a great deuce table without feeling in the corner, yet it was very private for us. Our server, Brian, is an absolute professional. We didn't need anything through the night, and he did a wonderful job of reading our table and gave absolutely perfect service.
The food.......OMG, one of the best meals I have ever had (and we dine all over the world).
I had the oyster bisque to start, my husband the soft shell crab. Our next course, I enjoyed the tuna ceviche, my husband enjoyed the foie gras BLT, Chef Brett's signature (one of our favs anywhere, and we have had it here many other times.). For entrees, I enjoyed the foie gras BLT and my husband had the pork. He generally doesn't order pork anywhere, but he did last night and said it was the best pork he has ever had. The set up is what pulled him in from reading it on the menu, and the dish did not disappoint. This morning he was wishing he had brought home the few bites he had left (just because we were so full). I think we are going to have to go back tonight too :)
One last point to comment on would be the wine list. I love having great wine with great food and not too often do I get to enjoy true Grand Cru Champagne, in perfect glasses, and last night, this also deserves a mention. Kudos to their award winning wine list. A perfect compliment to an amazing dinner!
If you haven't dined at Elaine's on Franklin, you are missing it! Get reservations just to be sure you don't have to wait, but if you do wait.....it will be well worth it! Enjoy!