“small vegetarian restaurant offering delicious vegan dishes”
Review of Sage Cafe'

Sage Cafe'
Ranked #63 of 296 Restaurants in Chapel Hill
Price range: US$5 - US$40
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Ohio City, Ohio
“small vegetarian restaurant offering delicious vegan dishes”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

While visiting Durham, NC, we heard about a local vegetarian cafe. This is a small restaurant nestled in a shopping center, so it takes a couple of extra minutes to locate. As the waitress, explained, the restaurant is owned by a Persian family and the menu reflects this cultural background: hummus, soups and entrees of Persian origin, delicious bread,.....

My friend does not eat dairy products, so we wanted not just vegetarian food (I am a vegetarian), but also vegan choices. We were in luck: the menu was sprinkled with 5 or 6 vegan choices for dinner. We chose the gnocci arrabbiata, plus the osh soup and the lentil soup. All 3 dishes were excellent.

We even had dessert, a vegan chocolate cake with vegan whipped cream. The vegan whipped cream was an unexpected treat which we really enjoyed.

The waitress was very attentive, flexible, and helpful.

The only downside to this restaurant was the bill. For instance, I had ordered a Diet Coke. When I asked for a refill, I was told that they used "cans" of Diet Coke and, so, would have to pay for a refill ($1.50, I believe per can). I am not used to paying for refills of soda at restaurants, Moreover, the waitress actually brought the can of Diet Coke to the table, which I found a bit odd, especially for such an upscale restaurant.

And the overall bill was a bit high, but not too bad considering the high quality of the food we had eaten.

We sat outside, which was very pleasant.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Ddan7777

Richlands, North Carolina
“Best for Lunch?”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is a quaint little place in the Timberlyne Shopping Center. The seating is very limited, and the tables are tiny. Our party of nine (with reservations) was squeezed into a space with one person still dining on a corner of a table. Great for coffee or tea and a snack, but not for dinner. Perhaps with success, they will be able to expand a bit. (You don't want to be constantly conscious of keeping your arms right at your side to avoid bumping your dinner mates.) The food was not as spicy or tasty as I had expected, but I am no aficionado of Persian food. I ordered the night's special, which was a sampling of a lentil soup and their soy chicken curry (I believe). Three in our party ordered the Fesen-Joon, and they all loved it. I'm not sure that they actually serve beer and wine. Their online menu indicates they do. We saw nothing on the menu, and perhaps our server misunderstood a request to see a list.

The strangest thing we experienced was after asking if it were possible to spilt our check into three separate bills (prior to ordering anything) and being told that it was, the bill came as one total. The server seemed very, very confused when we asked again if it it would be possible to split the check. He asked it anyone were paying by credit card. We said not if that would cause any problem. I assumed perhaps the bill had been entered into a database of some type and sorting it out would be an issue, but the bill was handwritten. ?? No idea what the problem was. It didn't take too long to sort things out, but it did take a bit of time.

I wouldn't recommend Sage if this is a first time visit to Chapel Hill as there are many other options. Otherwise, if you are looking for a new dining experience, especially with vegetarian or vegan options, give it a try.

• Visited January 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Vegeterian? Yes, Persian? Absolutely no”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I had high hopes for this restaurant after I read all the good comments. The food is not Persian at all. I ordered Cutlet and what I got was disgusting! I even asked for the recipe before ordering to be sure what I'd get. I couldn't even convince myself to take the second bite. Terrible texture and very bland! It is so expensive for what they serve. I paid around $25 for a soft drink and a dish that I couldn't eat and I came back home hungry.
Will never go there again!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank palmimp
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
“Terrific Food!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I love going to Sage. It's a bit small, so it might be a little crowded, but the food is always great. I've tried most of the menu and I haven't been disappointed once. The service is very good, and the prices are reasonable. I definitely recommend checking out Sage if you are looking for the best food in the Triangle!

Visited October 2013
“Stumble upon”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This was a stumble upon restaurant. I was just looking for lunch after 3 hours of driving and planned on something else nearby. Immediately upon seeing a vegetarian cafe with a trip advisor notice I knew it was a winner. it was a bit pricey but not for that area. the creamy dill sauce with the cute salad cup was refreshing. I loved the portobello / artichoke and pesto wrap. The service was quick as well.

• Visited September 2013