“The best accommodations”

The Carolina Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Staying at The Carolina Inn was a wonderful experience! I absolutely loved the inn---so much history and charm. I also loved how everything is so clean, so attractive and smells great, not just in the common areas but our room was perfect too. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the location is perfect if you want to be near UNC, Franklin Street and good restaurants within walking distance. We were only able to stay two nights while on vacation, but I look forward to a future stay at The Carolina Inn and highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,431)

Reviewed 23 October 2011

Resplendent with southern charm, the Carolina Inn was a wonderful get away. Bordering the campus of the University of North Carolina, the Inn is an easy walk to UNC's "Old Well", "Arboretum" , libraries, etc. Every inch of this Inn has been cared for with TLC. The furnishings were elegant. the service impeccable. The staff was courteous and attentive. We had a lovely lunch at the Crossroads Restaurant, and returned for breakfast as well. The guest room,decorated with 18th century furniture, was a wonderful retreat. The linens were luxurious, making it hard to get out of bed in the morning. In addition to the walk in shower, there was a deep porcelaine tub perfect for a long soak. This is exactly what I was hoping for when visiting a historic hotel. Once you are here, you need to take the time to tour the Inn, it's worth the effort.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2011

This beautiful historic hotel will be a must-do when ever I am in Chapel Hill. I have recommend it to several work associates already and they are glad to know about it. The rooms are comfortable but stil have that "inn" feeling. the food and service are exceptional

Room Tip: my room was small but well appointed and designed.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank rhill639
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I attended a seminar in Chapel Hill on a football weekend. My wife and I were lucky enough to get reservations at the Carolina Inn. We combined my business trip with tickets to the Carolina football game and time spent with our son (a senior at UNC). The room, service and location of the Carolina Inn were excellent. We were a block away from Franklin Street and Spanky's Restaurant, the location of our first date when we were students at UNC, where we dined during our trip. The Carolina Inn was a big part of our wonderful weekend in Chapel Hill.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed one night. I have visited many colleges with my kids. I took my youngest to NC to visit six colleges and universities on this trip. I have stayed at quite a few campus hotels, but this one is the absolute best. They have beautiful fresh flowers throughout the hotel. The staff is very young and energetic. The valet staff seems to be very nice, clean-cut college types. The concierge was very professional.

We stayed in a small, dormer room that had two doubles. They referred to the room as a "connector". It was very small and probably connected to a king room. This would be a great layout for a family.

The bathroom door was unusual as it was two small fold-out doors with quite a gap in the middle. If you did not know the person you were sharing with, this could be awkward. The bathroom had a huge shower with branded soaps and shampoo. There were lots of fluffy towels and a huge walk-in shower.

There was a coffemaker and flat screen tv. The room was very pretty.

This room was one that was recently renovated. I think they call this category "deluxe". The bed was very comfortable with nice linenes. The style was very homey with an understated elegance.

We were very pleased. UNC turned out to be to large of a university for my daughter. I regret that Carolina Inn is not on the campus she has chosen.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2011

We've stayed at the Carolina Inn 4 times over the last 2 yrs and they do an outstanding job. No better place to stay at UNC-location, location, location.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2011

This was a last minute reservation for us and we were very pleased. The property was in the best location for the UNC campus in Chapel Hill. The staff were very friendly and the rooms were very comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Aloft Chapel Hill
Aloft Chapel Hill
#9 of 18 in Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Carolina Inn? Share your experiences!