I had heard so many things about this hotel that had me craving a visit during my regular trips down to Chapel Hill. Unfortunately, my one visit was not a good one.
First, the hotel is an extremely lovely place for the middle aged to older crowd. For the younger set, you would like it if you like traditional, old places such as older southern homes and the like. The hotel is quite a pain to get into and out of, as the traffic patterns are tough to navigate in the tight confines of the entry road.
The interior lobby and reception areas are very old fashioned, but nicely appointed with period appropriate furnishings and decorations. It definitely exudes southern charm, as other reviewers have described it.
The hotel has a tremendous local history tightly interconnected with the university. It's proximity to the downtown area and the school are wonderful, but the prices are not that good for area, in my opinion.
The problem I found with the hotel was with the rooms themselves, which are quite small and felt rather confining. In addition, my rooms had small ants crawling around each one - yes, both rooms. I was transferred out of my first room, which had probably 20-30 ants that I killed before transferring to another room in a different location within the hotel. In the second room, it was much better, but I did find several more. I am actually quite afraid of how many there really were given the decorations in the room were a very dark color scheme. Gave me the creeps.
The hotel restaurant and bar were good quality, but otherwise quite expensive. In addition, the service staff were very cold and in one instance, quite rude (at breakfast). The bartender one night was very good, but overall I would say less than average.
The rooms I stayed in were quite small and felt a bit tight. The bed was comfortable, but was a bit squeaky when I rolled around.
Now I understand this was one incident and others certainly have not given really negative reviews overall. I do think that if you have a real need to be downtown and near the university, then I would probably recommend this place, particularly if you are of a bit of an older age (30+) and with your spouse or boy/girlfriend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are conveniently located in the heart of downtown Chapel Hill, at the doorstep of the beautiful campus of The University of North Carolina. Come experience world-class service, elegantly appointed guest accommodations, superb dining, outstanding meeting and banquet facilities, and an expert staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your The Carolina Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Carolina Hotel Chapel Hill
- Carolina Hotel Chapel Hill
- The Carolina Inn Chapel Hill, North Carolina