“Not a fan of this "gorgeous" hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Carolina Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
GreenLeadersGold level
Durham, North Carolina
“Not a fan of this "gorgeous" hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I had heard so many things about this hotel that had me craving a visit during my regular trips down to Chapel Hill. Unfortunately, my one visit was not a good one.

First, the hotel is an extremely lovely place for the middle aged to older crowd. For the younger set, you would like it if you like traditional, old places such as older southern homes and the like. The hotel is quite a pain to get into and out of, as the traffic patterns are tough to navigate in the tight confines of the entry road.

The interior lobby and reception areas are very old fashioned, but nicely appointed with period appropriate furnishings and decorations. It definitely exudes southern charm, as other reviewers have described it.

The hotel has a tremendous local history tightly interconnected with the university. It's proximity to the downtown area and the school are wonderful, but the prices are not that good for area, in my opinion.

The problem I found with the hotel was with the rooms themselves, which are quite small and felt rather confining. In addition, my rooms had small ants crawling around each one - yes, both rooms. I was transferred out of my first room, which had probably 20-30 ants that I killed before transferring to another room in a different location within the hotel. In the second room, it was much better, but I did find several more. I am actually quite afraid of how many there really were given the decorations in the room were a very dark color scheme. Gave me the creeps.

The hotel restaurant and bar were good quality, but otherwise quite expensive. In addition, the service staff were very cold and in one instance, quite rude (at breakfast). The bartender one night was very good, but overall I would say less than average.

The rooms I stayed in were quite small and felt a bit tight. The bed was comfortable, but was a bit squeaky when I rolled around.

Now I understand this was one incident and others certainly have not given really negative reviews overall. I do think that if you have a real need to be downtown and near the university, then I would probably recommend this place, particularly if you are of a bit of an older age (30+) and with your spouse or boy/girlfriend.

Room Tip: Good location, but expensive.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Polish first
Ramsey, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

This beautiful Southern mansion is right in the middle of UNC's campus and is close to shopping, restaurants, bars and the football stadium. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the rooms are superb. We loved the big cookies we got when we checked in and the chocolate candy waiting for us in our room. Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning a stay in the Chapel Hill area.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to be much larger than regular rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Brandon, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2011

Staying at The Carolina Inn was a wonderful experience! I absolutely loved the inn---so much history and charm. I also loved how everything is so clean, so attractive and smells great, not just in the common areas but our room was perfect too. The staff were all friendly and helpful and the location is perfect if you want to be near UNC, Franklin Street and good restaurants within walking distance. We were only able to stay two nights while on vacation, but I look forward to a future stay at The Carolina Inn and highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

Resplendent with southern charm, the Carolina Inn was a wonderful get away. Bordering the campus of the University of North Carolina, the Inn is an easy walk to UNC's "Old Well", "Arboretum" , libraries, etc. Every inch of this Inn has been cared for with TLC. The furnishings were elegant. the service impeccable. The staff was courteous and attentive. We had a lovely lunch at the Crossroads Restaurant, and returned for breakfast as well. The guest room,decorated with 18th century furniture, was a wonderful retreat. The linens were luxurious, making it hard to get out of bed in the morning. In addition to the walk in shower, there was a deep porcelaine tub perfect for a long soak. This is exactly what I was hoping for when visiting a historic hotel. Once you are here, you need to take the time to tour the Inn, it's worth the effort.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

This beautiful historic hotel will be a must-do when ever I am in Chapel Hill. I have recommend it to several work associates already and they are glad to know about it. The rooms are comfortable but stil have that "inn" feeling. the food and service are exceptional

Room Tip: my room was small but well appointed and designed.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rhill639
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

I attended a seminar in Chapel Hill on a football weekend. My wife and I were lucky enough to get reservations at the Carolina Inn. We combined my business trip with tickets to the Carolina football game and time spent with our son (a senior at UNC). The room, service and location of the Carolina Inn were excellent. We were a block away from Franklin Street and Spanky's Restaurant, the location of our first date when we were students at UNC, where we dined during our trip. The Carolina Inn was a big part of our wonderful weekend in Chapel Hill.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

We stayed one night. I have visited many colleges with my kids. I took my youngest to NC to visit six colleges and universities on this trip. I have stayed at quite a few campus hotels, but this one is the absolute best. They have beautiful fresh flowers throughout the hotel. The staff is very young and energetic. The valet staff seems to be very nice, clean-cut college types. The concierge was very professional.

We stayed in a small, dormer room that had two doubles. They referred to the room as a "connector". It was very small and probably connected to a king room. This would be a great layout for a family.

The bathroom door was unusual as it was two small fold-out doors with quite a gap in the middle. If you did not know the person you were sharing with, this could be awkward. The bathroom had a huge shower with branded soaps and shampoo. There were lots of fluffy towels and a huge walk-in shower.

There was a coffemaker and flat screen tv. The room was very pretty.

This room was one that was recently renovated. I think they call this category "deluxe". The bed was very comfortable with nice linenes. The style was very homey with an understated elegance.

We were very pleased. UNC turned out to be to large of a university for my daughter. I regret that Carolina Inn is not on the campus she has chosen.

Room Tip: Get a renovated room.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business