“Rude Staff, Bad Design”

GreenLeadersGold level
Asheville, North Carolina
“Rude Staff, Bad Design”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

When I arrived, I had to tell the agent that I was hearing impaired and needed to read her lips. I found myself placed in a room directly next to the elevator (Room 330). Because I was in conference events all afternoon and evening, I didn't realize this situation until I tried to go to sleep. Even a moderate/severely deaf person can hear the roar of an elevator. I did get another room at 11 p.m., and this one's design is so laughable I can hardly believe it exists. A wall of closet conceals desk, tv/microwave, closet. I find myself constantly opening and closing rather large doors in order to get things then not being able to maneuver around the bed. Similar with shower door, which forces me to step over the toilet to get into the shower! It has reached the point of hilarity (if it did not cost $300+ per night). Also, the taking advantage of my disability to place me in a loud room is just basically against the law. Next time I'm staying at La Quinta where at least I'll have space to move in my room.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Travelchamp123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Beautifully decorated old southern charm hotel with modern amenities but still keep the charm. From the quaint lobby furnishings, to the charming dining areas, to the exquisite rooms. This hotel met more then my expectations!!!
Fabulous staff, quiet room, super comfortable bed.
Right across the street from the campus. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: The room I had is a little bigger with 2 queen beds. My colleagues room was much smaller with the on...
Green Features: Toilet has 2 buttons for concerning water. Shower was like a light rain shower. Great! Separate recycle bin inside trash can to separate.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Flyinmom3
North, South Carolina
Reviewed 21 May 2014

What a special treat to enjoy the Carolina Inn for daughter's graduation May, 2014. Able to walk to every event, enjoy music on the porch Friday night, drinks on the porch after graduation, and a comfortable room and bed every night. So easy and spectacular surroundings. Loved reading the history and studying the pictures in the hallways.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveler6102013
London
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Attended a weekend wedding here and the venue was one of the highlights of our visit to North Carolina. Conveniently central to Franklin Street (2 blocks). Utterly exquisite rooms with some of the most comfortable bedding I have slept on (very soft cotton sheets, mattress pads)

TIP 1 - The Fitness Centre is accessible 24 hours with your room key. And, it features a large bowl of fruit and fresh water. So if you are a bit peckish late evening or early morning when room service is stopped and the shop is closed, then you can pop in there and grab a bite of fruit.

TIP 2 - Free coffee outside the restaurant first thing in the morning if you need some caffeine to start you up before sitting down to breakfast.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaldivesComplete
Clinton, NY
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My daughter and her two young children took me here for brunch the Sunday before Mothers Day to coincide with my visit to them in Chapel Hill. We had been here once before for one of their holiday teas. The inn is beautifully decorated with lots of historical pictures and memorabilia. The buffet was very extensive and fancy. The children were 3 and 5, but even though it is a fairly formal setting there, the brunch was kid-friendly. I pretty much tried a little of everything. There was an omelet station, hot and cold entrees, fruits, breads, and cheeses, and a remarkable dessert table. It worked out great that we were there the week before Mothers Day, and also that it wasn't graduation weekend at UNC yet. Personally, I avoid holidays at restaurants. The added advantage was that it was less expensive than the Mothers Day brunch on the actual holiday. The kids ate free and I counted as a senior citizen, so we got a pretty good deal. The staff at the Carolina Inn is exceptionally polite and attentive. Check out their website for special events.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Beautifully decorated. Gracious warmth both in the physical presence of the inn, but also the service given. The staff is professional and gracious. Rooms and bathrooms are lovely. The restaurant and bar offer a great menu and service. All the meals, including the buffet breakfast, were great. One of our favorites (and we are avid travelers)! And the chocolate chip cookies used as a greeting by the front desk staff are REALLY good.

Room Tip: Although numerous UNC fraternities are nearby, I suspect the hotel has used a special sound blocking...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Took my mom to a dance performance at the nearby theater. She has limited mobility and The Carolina Inn was suggested by a local contact.
Absolute charming location, old world style, easy check-in. Bar staff was very friendly and we had a light dinner before the show that was top notch. Breakfast buffet the next morning was nice too. As mentioned in a lot of reviews the rooms are small - just know that's small with a small font s. Furnishings are sumptuous and bedding was SWEET! Ventilation was great and both our rooms were quiet even though the property was fully booked. Bathroom too was small but one of the prettiest I've ever seen.
On check out we were handed a bill that caused my knees to buckle. I had stretched my budget when booking and somehow something had gone drastically wrong in accounting and I was getting charged those rates you read on the back of the motel room door that you can never imagine anyone ever actually paying. I had nothing to go on but my memory of the phone call 6 weeks prior so standing at the desk arguing wasn't going to produce any results. Very luckily for me I found my notes from the call when I returned home and a call to a very gracious manager brought about a happy ending. Moral for me from here on is to get a written confirmation on any and all future bookings no matter what the price.
This is a nice spot and if I find myself in Chapel Hill in the future I will return.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Chapel Hill University Inn
#6 of 17 in Chapel Hill
Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Chapel Hill/Carrboro

Been to The Carolina Inn? Share your experiences!