“Very Misleading Description- Sleepless Night!”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Southern Pines, North Carolina
“Very Misleading Description- Sleepless Night!”
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I booked this through an "unpublished rate" as a 3 star hotel. Not even close to a 3 star hotel, probably more of a 1.5-2 star. I spent about 50 bucks, and I got ripped off. It is a motel with outside entry doors and furniture from the 80s. The bed linens seemed clean and they had updated to the white bed set up, but the plethora of bugs (albeit harmless lady bug and a bunch of gnat-type bugs in the bathroom) counterbalanced it! Ceiling in the bathroom was actually falling down, and they had a power strip for outlets as had very few wall outlets. Musty smell, thin walls and I felt very unsafe as a single traveler so barely slept at all. Carpet was also so sticky I literally stood on my shoes to put on some thick socks. If I had gone looking for a 1.5 to 2 star probably would not be quite as upset; housekeeping is obviously making an effort, but this motel is old and certainly NOT 3 stars. I have pics I will try to attach.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank JulesSandhills

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I booked this hotel on priceline for $35, so the rate I paid was fair but when you compare this 2.5 star hotel to the others in the area, it simply does not compete. The website is misleading, it looks crazy different in person- mostly that all of the rooms are entered from the outside- no elevators. I'm a female traveling alone and I have to say I just didn't feel great here. The door had trouble closing, and the room although clean (it was impeccably clean)- just seemed like it had been partied in by frat boys one too many times. The lampshades were all cracked and damaged, furniture beaten up, curtains dingy and the door seemed like maybe it had been kicked in a few times. Linens and such were clean and there were no odors. Wifi was good. Location only ok, with so many other options in sight, the only compeling reason to stay here is the low price and the friendly staff.

Room Tip: no such thing.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Yainey
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We stayed here on 1/22/11 and while initially turned off by the less than stellar room decor, we were willing to give it a chance. It seemed clean enough. What totally ruined our experience was the rude, unfriendly, and unhelpful nighttime staffer who refused to help us when we called to report a deafeningly loud alarm clock beeping incessantly at 5:00am in a room next door (in which it was clear the party had already departed or died, in which case they were not concerned with either scenario.) When we called the front desk to see if they could do something about it, the female staffer told me the security guard had just left and there would be no one available until 8am to help us out. Then she HUNG UP ON ME before I could reply. How rude! Awful, I would never come back. We couldn't fall back asleep and our day was ruined due to hotel stupidity induced insomnia. Also at 7am there was music blasting as the maid either carried along her personal stereo or blasted each room's radio, while she serviced the neighboring rooms (not that it mattered since we were already awake). The only one thing that was nice was the man at the front desk during check-in.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LLINTON1
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 February 2011

I was going to Chapel Hill to tour the School of Law at UNC. I just live an hour and a half away, but I had to be there early, so I decided to stay the night close by so I wouldn't have a long, tiring drive in the morning. I made the reservation through the Chapel Hill Visitor's Bureau, so I had high expectations. I was disappointed. First of all, I was told that the hotel was within walking distance of campus. Not the case. Its a couple of miles away from the school. I'd checked out Trip Advisor before making my reservation, and the pictures of the facility looked fine. I always look for a hotel that has rooms that are accessed through the lobby. As I'm a solo traveler, this makes me feel safer. So, as usual, I requested a room on the second floor, and was excited about what was to come. I got a rude awakening. When I arrived, I discovered that all of the rooms are entered from the outside. Maybe I should have asked, but other hotel websites noted this fact specifically, so I guess I ASSUMED that this one would have, as well. When I asked the woman in the lobby if you can access any rooms from the lobby, she told me no, and that all were entered from the outside. It was now about 8:00 PM, and options were limited for me, so I accepted the room. I tried to find the room, and had great difficulty, because the room number was covered by the "WET PAINT" sign. The woman in the lobby told me she didn't know that the room was on the list for painting, but that just the door had been painted, and that it was now dry. I went into the room, barricaded myself in the room, and prayed for morning. The neighborhood does not look to be the best. I didn't sleep at all that night. Though the room and its furnishings are old, the room was fairly clean -- well, except for the BUG that was on the other pillow when I woke up in the morning. Thankfully it was not on the pillow that I used. Good grief! Perhaps if you're there for a Carolina game, and just want a place to lay your head after binge drinking, then this place may be for you. But its certainly not for me. I won't be going back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank KH1229
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I loved this hotel. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. They helped us get to places that I wanted to see and arranged shuttle service for us. They also provided us with helpful tips. I did not feel like a stranger. this was my first ever trip to Chapel Hill for a college basketball game and I was not disappointed with any aspect of this trip. I plan on going back as soon as I can to enjoy another game and I will be staying at the Univeristy Inn at Chapel Hill. The room was clean and services were prompt. The Time Out bar/restaurant had great food and a great wait staff.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank britta89
Massillon, Ohio
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I spent a night at this hotel last week and I have to tell you, the people were fantastic! I normally don't take the time to write reviews but had to share this experience with everyone. It was a long day on the road, I was tired from getting beat up by my customers and just needed a place to rest. So I checked into this hotel and from the time I entered the building, the service was awesome! Go my key, checked into my room, changed clothes and decided to go get some dinner. I called down to the desk and the gal was so polite, honest and was so well informed about the area. She recommended a nice local restaurant and even gave me great directions. I had a great meal. Being that I'm a Tar Heel fan, she recommended that I take a cruise around campus. I did and just fell in love with the area. I now hope my son will someday want to go to college there! Going back to the hotel, I stopped and got some ice cream and decided to get a milkshake for my new friend at the front desk. Upon my arrival, I thanked her for the referral and handed her a milkshake. She was so happy that I thought she was going to cry! She said she had be craving one all day! I went up to my room, got a good amount of work done at the very comfortable desk and then had a great night sleep. I checked out the next day and went on my way. Upon arriving home, I got an email from the young lady that was working the desk. She thanked me for staying with them and thanked me again for making her day with the milkshake. It's folks like that who will make you feel at home when you're away from home! Great place to stay! I'll be back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Was in town for business in both Durham and Chapel Hill and this was the perfect location! Staff was so quick to respond to requests I made. Room was comfortable and quiet. Restaurant/bar attached was a great value and convenient. There was also a Trader Joe's across the street which was a huge plus! Will definitely be staying here again if I ever come back here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business