“A very pleasant experience :)”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I was going to book this hotel anyway, but I got fortunate and found a Groupon for the hotel and paid $52 a night. I've read reviews about bad TV's and carpeting and such, well I must have gotten a renovated room because I had a nice LCD flat screen TV, carpet was OK, bathroom was above average, nice size fridge and a king bed. The front desk was awesome, when I arrived there was a woman in front of me that didn't have her printed groupon and they directed her to the lobby computer so she could print out another. The girl at the front desk(Crystal, I believe) was most helpful as I needed directions to Bank of America, not only did she tell me the directions, but wrote them down as well. The shuttle was cool, an easy way to get to the cam,pus and they drop you off right on Franklin Street at University Square, the only downside was they stop running at 4pm, but there are taxis available and it was a $12 fare from Carmichael Arena to the hotel. There are plenty of food options in the area as well as grocery stores, pharmacy, pretty much anything you need, just ask Crystal(ask her if you can have 10 wash cloths for your room, it's an inside joke that I'm sure she will remember!).
In closing, I had a wonderful stay and would recommend this hotel if you're in the Chapel Hill area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 March 2012

I was very happy with the level of customer service and the price I recieved staying here. The hospital is so close which was very convienent. My room was clean and ready for me as soon as I go there. Overall a stress-free, pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2012

I came to Chapel Hill for a UNC basketball game, and a lot of the hotels I usually stay at didn't have availability. I ended up choosing Chapel Hill University Inn and I was extremely pleased with my choice. Although it is an older hotell (the TV's aren't brand new), my room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and accommodating! Also, there's a family themed sports bar with good food attached to the hotel. I recommend this hotel to anyone coming into the Chapel Hill area. Thumbs up!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Check in is not until after 4pm, BEDS ARE AWFUL, there were roaches, must wear socks at all times-the carpet is very old. Very bad TV Reception. Did not have a good experience. Do not recommend

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I wouldn't stay here again even if they paid me! And Krystal is the rudest person you will ever meet at the front desk! The rooms are in serious need of repairs! And the front desk staff (Krystal) need to be replaced with someone nice! Go on down the street, take my word for it!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Recently stayed here for the duke vs UNC game. Checked in at 14:00 and was given my room key straight away, the cleaners do an excellent job of cleaning the rooms. The hotel is relatively close to UNC campus.
It offers a free shuttle bus that goes every hour (except 17:00) to and fro campus from about 09:00 to 19:00. I had a problem with the bus where I was booked tonbe collected at 18:00 but wasn't collected until 19:40 and was lied to several times by crystal on reception. This is my only negative of the hotel.
It offers a free pass to a local fitness centre, which has brilliant facilities, also has an outdoor pool, never tried it but would be nice in the summer. There is a bar/ restaurant called timeout which is good. Local to the hotel s several complexes where you can visit for food or bits and pieces for the room, which offers a microwave and a fridge. If your used to a Hilton, you maybe disappointed. If your happy with good local companies you will benmore than happy. I will return when next visiting UNC. The rooms on th second floor could be noisy from like. Heater noise, maybe ask for something away from 249 area ...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2012

For Christmas I had purchased my boyfriend UNC tickets, a flight, and this hotel. Going to see the UNC at home was on is bucket list so I wanted it to be special. I had read some of the review of this hotel and I had tried to keep an open mind as you cannot please everyone. However, front he start this place was a disaster!!! The sign for the Inn is very small and difficult to see from the main road. My GPS had said that we passed our destination so we pulled over into the parking lot of a Food Lion and I called the Inn. The girl at the front desk, Krystal, who answered told us to go 'Away from the Food Lion' I tried to explain I could go right, left or across the main road I do not understand 'away'. Unfortunately Krystal did not know how to communicate directions. When we arrived at the Inn we obtained our keys and went up to our room. When we walked into our room I instantly started to cry as this place was an absolute dump. The celling was cracking and there was mold on the walls above the doorway. The walls are paper thin and the room reeked of smoke and it was outside entry only. Not what I had in mind at all. This however was not the only issue. I had called down in the morning to verify how we could get transportation to the UNC game. The young gentleman in the morning told me that there was bus transportation $5 round trip from the mall about 1/2 mile down the road. Great! Later that afternoon we decided to down to the front desk to confirm exactly where at in the mall parking lot is the bus pick up. We were greeted by Krystal who then told us they no longer have bus pickups at the mall. Really? How long ago did the change happen? She said a week or so ago, however they had flyers on the front desk with direction to the mall for bus pickups? Again, not helpful at all.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple