“Bad room, unaccommodating staff”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Homewood, Alabama
“Bad room, unaccommodating staff”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We booked the hotel on recommendations from The University of North Carolina staff. At check in we were informed that we had been upgraded to a suite. That made us happy, we found our room on the second floor of the "basketball" section.
From the outside the hotel looks a bit rundown, but it also seemed to be consistently maintained. The building is showing signs of its construction quality and is in need of a full renovation soon. I am no stranger to hotels that need some extra TLC, and as long as the room is clean, I really don't have a problem with it.
You enter the room from the outside, in kind of a retro motel style. We noticed that our room, and the others had quite a few bugs all around them.
When we opened the door, we found that the bugs were flying around in the room as well.
I checked with the staff to see if we could get a room change, and was informed that the bugs were a part of life in North Carolina, and that all of the rooms had them... Not good.
The room itself seemed clean enough, until we got a good smell of the place. It was a non-smoking room, but it reeked of cigarette smoke. Again not good.
The bathroom was clean, except for the toilet which seemed to have been cleaned very hastily, and had "remnants" of the past occupants. Not good.

The area was quiet, and we had no problems getting to sleep and staying asleep. The room had a thermostat and an extra wall heating/cooling unit, so there was no problem with keeping the room a good comfortable temperature.

The real problems came the next morning.
I had a work out scheduled in the morning, and I would be getting done just about check out time. I wanted to find a place to take a shower, so I asked the front desk if I could arrange a later check out time.
Normally this isn't a problem at all, a half an hour or even an hour after check out time is usually easily arranged. Not here. I was told, by the manager on duty, that if I was in the room after check out I would be charged an extra day. Not good.

So, as my wife went off to her appointments, I decide to skip my work out and stay in the room to work remotely. I was repeatedly bothered by the housekeeping staff, despite the do not disturb sign. Finally a manager came to the room to see when I would be checking out. I said that I would be out by check out time at 11am. It was treated as quite a bother for the staff that I would actually stay in the room until my scheduled time to leave. Not good.

Overall, I think my stay at this hotel could have been made much better if the staff was just a little bit more accommodating. I can concede that my request for extra time to take a shower was a bit much, I understand that room turnaround is very important, but combine that with the bug problem, the overall uncleanly of the room, and the bugs, and it made for a very unpleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank NattoMatto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Great location and very clean. Staff was very nice and accommodating,

We rented a king suite - but when we got there realized they gave us a king size bedroom that adjoined a conference room complete with large conference table and whiteboard. Room would have been much more comfortable if it did not have conference table, but instead had living room setting, As such, it was not practical at all.

Also - the hotel restaurant, Time Out, was terrible. I ordered chicken wings and they came out like they were frozen Banquet brand chicken wings, dipped in sauce and served with very old celery - so old it was droopy and soft

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I recently spent a week at the University Inn, and I loved it. The staff was fantastic at the front desk, at the dining room, the shuttle drivers, everyone! The rooms are pretty standard and comfortable. The breakfast deal will keep you full until a late lunch! The surrounding amenities are great, restaurants, shopping and the free gym walking distance down the street is state of the art. I would recommend this hotel for your next visit to Chapel Hill

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are quiet
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Tonxo B
Troutville, Virginia
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The rooms next to the pool do not have drapes that close. So all night long the bright lights from the pool shine right in, keeping you awake. The rooms are very outdated and in need of repair. Restaurant onsite is expensive and not worth the money. There are only two choices for rooms - upstairs or first floor. I would advise driving past this place.

• Stayed April 2012
Calabash, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This hotel has very comfortable beds. They are firm and soft at the same time, if that is possible. Hotel is college themed and has internet, coffee, and a small restaurant in the lobby area. Location is good for UNC at Chapel Hill as well as being near Trader Joe's and many restaurants. Given the chance, I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool have a nice view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My partner and I were staying here because our water heater was broken and we just needed a place to sleep/shower. We checked in late at night and when we got to our room, not only was it dirty and run down, but it smelled like old food and smoke. We checked-out immediately, but the young man that checked us out of our room was rude, stating that because we had booked through priceline.com that we were given the "left-overs." This is understandable because the hotel was heavily booked, but the room we were given was not habitable, even for a few hours of sleeping.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wisc o
Dunn, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We have spent four weekends at this hotel due to family illness as Chapel Hill hospital. Overall all its a nice place to stay and get rest after spending lots of time at the hospital. We had one weekend that was not that well but the hotel made it right for us. I love the king size beds and mico/fridge they really come in hand. This hotel has a shutter that will take you to the hospital and bring you back to the hotel. but it has limited hours on the weekend. Located walking distance of food lion, boston market, rite aid and a mini shopping center across the street.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family