We booked the hotel on recommendations from The University of North Carolina staff. At check in we were informed that we had been upgraded to a suite. That made us happy, we found our room on the second floor of the "basketball" section.
From the outside the hotel looks a bit rundown, but it also seemed to be consistently maintained. The building is showing signs of its construction quality and is in need of a full renovation soon. I am no stranger to hotels that need some extra TLC, and as long as the room is clean, I really don't have a problem with it.
You enter the room from the outside, in kind of a retro motel style. We noticed that our room, and the others had quite a few bugs all around them.
When we opened the door, we found that the bugs were flying around in the room as well.
I checked with the staff to see if we could get a room change, and was informed that the bugs were a part of life in North Carolina, and that all of the rooms had them... Not good.
The room itself seemed clean enough, until we got a good smell of the place. It was a non-smoking room, but it reeked of cigarette smoke. Again not good.
The bathroom was clean, except for the toilet which seemed to have been cleaned very hastily, and had "remnants" of the past occupants. Not good.
The area was quiet, and we had no problems getting to sleep and staying asleep. The room had a thermostat and an extra wall heating/cooling unit, so there was no problem with keeping the room a good comfortable temperature.
The real problems came the next morning.
I had a work out scheduled in the morning, and I would be getting done just about check out time. I wanted to find a place to take a shower, so I asked the front desk if I could arrange a later check out time.
Normally this isn't a problem at all, a half an hour or even an hour after check out time is usually easily arranged. Not here. I was told, by the manager on duty, that if I was in the room after check out I would be charged an extra day. Not good.
So, as my wife went off to her appointments, I decide to skip my work out and stay in the room to work remotely. I was repeatedly bothered by the housekeeping staff, despite the do not disturb sign. Finally a manager came to the room to see when I would be checking out. I said that I would be out by check out time at 11am. It was treated as quite a bother for the staff that I would actually stay in the room until my scheduled time to leave. Not good.
Overall, I think my stay at this hotel could have been made much better if the staff was just a little bit more accommodating. I can concede that my request for extra time to take a shower was a bit much, I understand that room turnaround is very important, but combine that with the bug problem, the overall uncleanly of the room, and the bugs, and it made for a very unpleasant stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chapel Hill University Inn is known as the “Home of the Sports Experience” and is proud to showcase the winning traditions of the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. This sports themed hotel is the only full-service moderately priced hotel in Chapel Hill. The hotel is within walking distance to Trader Joe’s, Starbucks, SteinMart, shopping, more restaurants, and drug/ grocery stores. Hotel is located just 2 miles from UNC and downtown Franklin Street.Guests will enjoy complimentary Wireless internet access throughout hotel and in guest rooms. Other amenities includes: Free access to Kinetix Health Club and on site fitness center, business center, outdoor pool, and guest laundry facilities. Complimentary gourmet coffee is available 24/7 in the lobby. Hotel has a relaxing courtyard with covered seating and Adirondack chairs, as well as a gas grill and picnic area. Daily local shuttle service is provided to designated stops on UNC campus, UNC Hospitals, Franklin Street, the Friday Center and University Mall. Time- Out Sports Bar and Restaurant is on site. Watch any sports event on one of the 17 HDTV’s, play pool or video games. Open for breakfast and dinner, and will soon be opening for lunch. Time-Out is home of the famous Chicken and Cheddar Biscuit and was featured on Travel Channel’s Man vs. Food show. Room service is also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Chapel Hill University Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chapel Hill University Hotel Chapel Hill
- Holiday Inn Chapel Hill
- Chapel Hill Holiday Inn
- Chapel Hill University Inn North Carolina