“CH University Inn” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill
“CH University Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2012

Really enjoyed my stay. Very close to UNC-Chapel Hill, dining, shopping. Room was clean and bargin priced . Staff was friendly and helpful. Grounds were well kept.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Jill R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

This is where we often stay when visiting our university student. This is not the "high end" place to stay in town, but it is clean, comfortable, quiet,accepts pets, is convenient and gives student families a good price. Staff is pleasant, helpful. They do not provide a "free" breakfast, but there are a Starbucks and restaurants just across the street and a Whole Foods 3 minutes away.

Room Tip: Some rooms have mini-refrigerators and microwaves, which are helpful especially when having an exten...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cofasheville
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

Cant beat the price or the location. Great weekend away in Chapel Hill. Not the most luxurious accomodation but more then adequate. Bar and restaurant were nice and the shuttle was useful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank caligrl687
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

3 star hotels don't have 6 1/2ft drop ceilings in the bathroom. Very outdated, room cleaning was nothing more than having the bed made and replacing two very shabby towels.

The Good: decent location, restaurant/bar on-site (though I did not visit), the price (I got through Expedia's unpublished rates in the low$40's.

The Bad: got stuck with a smoking room, which smelled like a pool hall. Very, very bad. Front desk offered me "a can of spray.". Would have found a mother room in another hotel if it wasn't so late already. All of our clothes reek. Nicotine yellowing popcorn ceilings, cigarette burns in the carpet.

I would fate this hotel a 1-1/2 star, and for $40 could be worth it of you can get a non-smoking room. For $80+ dollars? Not a chance.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Graybeard73
Baton Rouge, LA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in my life. I travel a lot and consider myself an experienced traveler . Chapel Hill University Inn is to be avoided at all costs. The rooms are not cleaned daily (or at least mine was not), beds are not made daily and only after a complaint they replaced the towels on the third day. of a four-day stay. The night manager was rude and unprofessional.

I reserved a room through Expedia, which sells it as a "3 stars". I am also lodging a complaint with them. Do not be swayed by the cut rates offered on this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank LAGeorge
Clearwater, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

We stayed here for two nights and my bottle of expensive cologne came up missing. It was identified the day it went missing from my bag on the bathroom sink. The manager was notified the same day it was missing and I had to call back twice as I was not contacted for 4 days. I was told people 'misplace' things all the time and their staff said they never saw it or took it... I never saw them take it but I will assure you it's NOT misplaced.... We won't patron there again.... I reported it, you decide....
Reputable CEO

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Reputable-CEO
ChapelHillUnivInn, Manager at Chapel Hill University Inn, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
We apologize for the negative experience and impression that you have of our hotel, it is not the style of North Carolina hospitality that we strive to deliver for all of our guests.

We did thoroughly investigate the situation that was reported that evening, and we were unable to find any evidence of entry into the guest room in question other than with the key that was issued to the guest.

We take the safety and security of our guests very seriously, and understand your concerns. We continue to train our staff on appropriate guest safety and security precautions.
Norcross, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I read a few reviews before staying here for two nights, so I was a bit nervous before getting there. My daughter had orientation at UNC and the hotel provides a free shuttle very close to where we needed to be for most of our stay. I love the food at the bar on site and it's very convenient that there is a little strip mall across the street from the hotel with a trader joes, starbucks, and cute little italian place (I can't remember the name)! The front desk staff is really nice and I witnessed them take a lot of grief from other guests staying there with a smile. I had no problems. My key didn't work once or twice, but I came to the desk and they were able to fix that. Little issues are to be expected when staying at hotels, they were very prompt at fixing the issue, and even sent the houseman to escort me to my room and make sure I was able to get into my room with no problems. I will definately stay again! They probably should update, but for the price is just right!

Room Tip: I would try not to be right by the pool. It seems that it's quiet most nights but the constructi...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family