I stayed at the University Inn on a recent overnight trip to Chapel Hill. I used to live in Chapel Hill so I was familiar with the hotel but had never been inside. Overall, I was pleased with my stay and feel it is an excellent value. The location of the hotel provides numerous restaurant options at Eastgate shopping center across the street (Starbucks, Brueggers Bagels, The Loop, Boston Market, Trader Joe's) and easy access to all downtown attractions with their complimentary hourly shuttle (Shuttles run on the hour and it is a ~10 min ride to Franklin St or to the hospital if you are in town for medical reasons). Also, if you wind up taking CH's free bus system around town, the hotel is right off the F line.
Room-wise, my room (# 246) was spacious, very clean, and smelled fresh. The linens were crisp and looked newly updated. The shower had good water flow and plenty of hot water. The furniture was in good shape with little wear & tear. As far as basic comforts, I was very pleased with the room.
As some reviewers mentioned, there is currently construction on the 1st floor due to a recent flood event from abnormally heavy rains, but it didn't bother me. The staff told me the construction is scheduled to be completed by mid-September and the upside is that after it wraps up, the 1st floor rooms will all be newly renovated.
Add in complimentary gourmet coffee in the lobby and what looked to be a nice lounging pool, and you have a pleasant stay. Plus the price is hard to beat. I have found the University Inn's rates to be very competitive and better than other nearby hotels that are actually further away from downtown and that do not have the transportation options.
If you are looking for a good value for a comfortable stay in Chapel Hill, I would recommend the University Inn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chapel Hill University Inn is known as the “Home of the Sports Experience” and is proud to showcase the winning traditions of the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. This sports themed hotel is the only full-service moderately priced hotel in Chapel Hill. The hotel is within walking distance to Trader Joe’s, Starbucks, SteinMart, shopping, more restaurants, and drug/ grocery stores. Hotel is located just 2 miles from UNC and downtown Franklin Street.Guests will enjoy complimentary Wireless internet access throughout hotel and in guest rooms. Other amenities includes: Free access to Kinetix Health Club and on site fitness center, business center, outdoor pool, and guest laundry facilities. Complimentary gourmet coffee is available 24/7 in the lobby. Hotel has a relaxing courtyard with covered seating and Adirondack chairs, as well as a gas grill and picnic area. Daily local shuttle service is provided to designated stops on UNC campus, UNC Hospitals, Franklin Street, the Friday Center and University Mall. Time- Out Sports Bar and Restaurant is on site. Watch any sports event on one of the 17 HDTV’s, play pool or video games. Open for breakfast and dinner, and will soon be opening for lunch. Time-Out is home of the famous Chicken and Cheddar Biscuit and was featured on Travel Channel’s Man vs. Food show. Room service is also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com and getaroom.com so you can book your Chapel Hill University Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chapel Hill University Hotel Chapel Hill
- Holiday Inn Chapel Hill
- Chapel Hill Holiday Inn
- Chapel Hill University Inn North Carolina