“Overall great experience for the whole family!”

Chapel Hill University Inn
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Buffalo, New York
“Overall great experience for the whole family!”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed here many times while my sister pursued her degree at UNC, including over graduation weekend. The hotel staff is friendly, and the rooms were always available, clean and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful and park-like, and the shuttle service makes transportation easy. My pet was even welcome! It's the consistency in quality and service that makes the University Inn stand out, and I plan to stay there for every trip to Chapel Hill.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Klaplante03
ChapelHillUnivInn, Director of Sales at Chapel Hill University Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks for staying with us! We are happy our hotel provided an excellent experience for you and your family! And congratulations to the graduate!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Glen Alpine
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I have medical appointments in Chapel Hill frequently and find the stay very relaxing before going to the doctor. I live in the western end of the state and it is better to stay over night before my appointment. The inn is quite and close to the hospitals.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Linda M
Thanks for writing a great review about our hotel! We appreciate your business and look forward to you staying with us again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed here last month for three days while visiting our son who is a grad student at UNC - we had a "deluxe double" which I guess was newly renovated?? It was a nice looking room and the beds were very comfortable. My complaint - it had a very musty smell, not sure if the carpet was replaced when they renovated the room. Cleaning staff were very good. Refrigerator and microwave were very helpful but you do pay more for those amenities in your room price. Noticed quite a few smokers outside at all times but that's better than smoking in the rooms!!

Room Tip: Perhaps staying on the second level would limit your chance of getting the musty smell of street lev...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nancy H
Thanks for staying with us and thanks for your feedback! We will look into the issues you mentioned. And yes...a Deluxe room is newly renovated with refrigerator and microwave. All Deluxe rooms also have a premium location; either first floor with drive up access or poolside. We also now offer a complimentary continental breakfast when you book a Deluxe room.
East Flat Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Very good place to stay. We stayed on a trip to the UNC Cancer Hospital.Reasonable rates
and the was very nice. It is located close to about anythingthat you would like to do. I would stay the next time we come to town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lewis S
We are glad you chose our hotel for your accomodations! Located just 4 miles from UNC Hospitals and walking distance to shopping and restaurants, we are happy our hotel offered everything you needed...especially reasonable rates! Thanks for your business!
Surf City, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2014

My family makes the trip to Chapel Hill for UNC sporting events several times per year,this is the place to stay for UNC sports fans! Be sure to take advantage of Franklin St which right down the road

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for staying with us! We hope to see you again the next time you are in town for a sports event! Go Heels!
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I booked it on internet, and was the best price I found. The room is clean, the price is right and even being a little far from the down, the shuttle service helped a lot. Also, there is a mall across the street with everything I need for the three days I spent there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
ChapelHillUnivInn, Director of Sales at Chapel Hill University Inn, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thanks for your comments and appreciate your business! We offer affordable, clean rooms for guests visiting Chapel Hill. While only 2 miles from UNC campus and downtown, our shuttle service can be very helpful to guests, so glad you were able to take advantage of that service. Hope to see you next time you are in town!
North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed here on a trip to visit family recently. It was alumni weekend the university, so most of the hotels were sold out, especially the affordable ones in town. I'm pretty sure we booked the very last room last minute at this hotel and were left with a smoking room as the only option. The price was right so we went with it.

When we checked in, the woman at the front desk was very nice and helpful. The hotel lobby is modestly decorated and the hotel has outdoor corridors. It was what I expected though being more of a motel, so it was fine with me.

We drove around the buildings and parked close to our room. Upon entering the room, ugh, the smoke smell. I can't believe hotels even have smoking rooms still. But, we knew going into this that it was a smoking room. I just kept my suitcase closed and tried to get over it/stay out of the room as much as possible. The air wasn't on when we got in and it was super stuffy, which probably didn't help the smell... if they kept it on low at all times it might smell better. Overall the room was fine, nothing special. I felt that the sheets were clean and that's my biggest concern so it was ok. The bathroom was laid out well - big counter space. The towels were cheap and felt weird. No shampoo/lotion, just soap bar. It's more of a motel, so I was not too surprised.

After check in, we decided to check out the restaurant/bar before we went to bed. It was dead except for a couple people at the bar. It was probably close to 11pm so to be expected I guess. The restaurant I can tell gets busy during sporting games for UNC since they have a ton of TVs. The bartender was nice but could tell she was ready to get off shift. The drinks were well priced I thought.

Overall, I would stay here again if I needed to but would not get a smoking room.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a non smoking room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for your feedback. We are glad that we were able to offer you a clean room, a friendly staff and a great rate while visiting Chapel Hill. While we cannot help that our smoking rooms smell smoky, I will pass on the suggestion to keep air movement in the room. We hope you choose to stay with us next time you are in the area, and feel confident if you book early a non-smoking room will make your experience even better!