“Front desk staff was wonderful.”

Courtyard Charlotte Airport North
Ranked #44 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Roanoke, VA
“Front desk staff was wonderful.”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was very happy with the staff at this hotel. Jonathan was the first to greet me and bent over backwards to help me. I was hungry and tired and when I commented that the salad looked good but were dated the day before he offered to have a fresh one made. It hit the spot because I wasn't in the mood to go out. The maid did forget to stock the shampoo and only discovered this next morning at 5:30am :( I hardly use hotel shampoo but didn't feel like rummaging through my suit case at that hour. That was a little disappointing. The shuttle driver Kenya was a Joy to see at 6:00am. The car was clean and she had a smile on her face. Good way to start my vacation. On the return trip she picked me up and had the same friendly disposition. The room however on the return trip was a little more disappointing. There was an earwig in the bathroom and the AC didn't work in the room. It was 1:00am by the time I got settled and didn't want to move rooms. I put it on 66degree and it felt more like 74degrees. Reported it to the front desk but didn't seem to care. More concerned that I didn't change rooms than the problem needed to be fixed. Jonathan....become manager so you can train the other employees. Overall I would stay again...if they fix the AC and Jonathan is there to greet me :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardAirport, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Airport North, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
vaweddingplanner,

Thank you for your review on Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport. It is a pleasure to hear that Jonathan and Kenya meet and exceeded your expectations. We appreciate the feedback regarding your recent stay and look forward to seeing you next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We needed a hotel near the airport where I could fly in and then take the shuttle to meet my husband, spend the night and be on our way the next day. And we needed to do this twice, coming and going.

When I flew into the airport I called to ask the desk person to send the shuttle. She gave me no guidance on where to pickup the bus and there were no signs in the airport so it took me a while to find it. I missed it on its first run but was lucky enough to get a tiny corner seat on the second run. I walked into the hotel, past the desk and headed for our room (my husband had told me the room number when I called him when I landed). The woman came after me from behind the front desk and got pretty confrontational. I was very surprised considering I'm a pudgy, gray-haired 60 year old female federal employee and not considered scary by much of anyone. It was weird. This all kind of set the tone for the first visit.

On our second visit, the property wasn't very busy and the atmosphere was quite a bit friendlier. The location is key here and yet it is a two edged sword. The location close to the airport is very convenient, but some of the area immediately around the hotel is pretty rough. We moved our car away from the back fence although we probably didn't need to as we didn't have any problems, but the neighborhood next to the hotel did give us some concerns.

The property and the rooms were quite comfortable. The decor is older and in need of some updating but the room was clean and the appointments were sufficient to our needs. We did not pay a premium price for our stay so I felt that overall we received good value. This hotel is fine for a one night stay before or after a flight, but I would not recommend it for anything more.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
LifesaBanquet,

Thank you for your review regarding you previous stay. we are definitely a convenient location to the airport and we are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope that next time you are in Charlotte we will see you again.
Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is decent but is in an undesirable location overall. The exterior and surrounding grounds are not appealing. The hotel was not pristine, but service was good. The room was clean and did meet Marriott standards. I was disappointed with the location of the hotel once I arrived. The pictures looked nicer than the actual hotel. I selected this hotel as an overnight stay to quickly get to the airport the next morning. I'll probably pick another hotel the next time. I think if they make an investment in the exterior and do a better job of maintenance, it will be a location of choice as opposed to a selection of necessity, where afterwards, you wonder if you were in some small way, duped.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank guruph
CourtyardAirport, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Airport North, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. All of the information provided will be shared with the management team.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I and a colleague had a business trip to Charlotte recently and were told by our client to stay at this particular hotel, as they had a corporate rate. Arrived at the hotel to be told that although my client did have a corporate rate on a national level, they chose not to honor it because they hotel had a high occupancy rate. I politely asked whether a corporate rate was just that ....or whether every time you wished to use it, it was a debatable item based on the luck of the draw as to how busy the hotel was. This being an airport hotel, I would imagine it is always busy. She responded in a very condescending tone that it was, what it was and proceeded to check us in at a rate of $238 per night plus tax - thank God it was only one night. I do know hotels have a variety of rates they can offer if they wish ....I stay in hotels every week and have found that most front desks will try to work with you, especially if you are a frequent business traveler. Notice I said most.....in this case, she was unapologetic and uncaring. The hotel was filled with a sorority convention of some sort - the room I ended up getting was on the first floor apparently (as I rudely found very early the following morning) near the garbage pickup area of the hotel.
This was the typical Courtyard, where the lobby had been done, but the rooms were old and tired with scratches and gouges in the walls .....an entrance door that didn't even close properly and was held shut with the sliding safety hook as the deadbolt no longer lined up with the frame.
By all rights, I normally would have said something to the front desk, but considering my earlier experience, did not expect to see much help, so I tolerated it and got down to business.

Lesson learned from this experience is that even though you as a business traveler come to expect a certain level of performance from a chain (Holiday Inn once touted "No Surprises"), each location has to rise or fail on its own merits. As a very frequent Hilton guest, I recently thought I would give Marriott a try but this experience has caused me to reconsider. Don't get me wrong ....not every Hilton out there is perfect either, but their Front Desk people certainly seem to listen more and be more empowered to provide for a pleasant experience. Note there are a lot of other decent chains in the Charlotte Airport area ....next time I will know.

Room Tip: On the flight path to the major runways - airplane noise most of the time.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardAirport, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Airport North, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
I apologize that your stay with us was unsatisfactory and that the rates being offered were higher than usual. Our rates fluctuate depending on if we have a special event in town, however, I do apologize that it appeared as though our front desk staff was less than empathetic concerning the situation. We take all guest comments and concerns very seriously and we will use the information that you have provided to address all front desk staff. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond on Trip Advisor.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This Courtyard is okay overall; relatively clean, and safe enough (though the neighborhood isn't the best). I had a car and did not use the shuttle.

This hotel is not my favorite Courtyard due to the weight of a lot of 'little' things.
- The windows are not well insulated enough to be near an airport. I could pretty distinctly hear jets taking off, unless I ran the noisy A/C (which blows right on the desk area), and that's even through earplugs.
- The shower had a little bit of mold in the grout.
- The bed is OK, but not quite as comfortable as I expect. The pillows are all square and rather thick.
- The maid service would randomly forget things (like no shower mat one day, or take my Courtyard-supplied shampoo out of the shower another; only once did they leave my towel hung up vs. replacing it).
- The staff is pleasant or professional enough, though not consistent and not excellent like Courtyards I've stayed at recently.
- The fire alarm went off in the morning multiple days in a row. This may have been a guest, or a system problem, but because no one passed on to the evening staff what's going on, I had no idea whether it would happen again (I left the hotel w/the alarm both days; thankfully I was basically ready to go).

Room Tip: Bring earplugs.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Feedback, be it positive or negative, helps us find out where are weaknesses are and correct them. I apologize that your stay with us did not meet your standards. Please know that we are taking every effort to address every issue listed in your review.
West Lothian, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was an overnight stay on the drive south from Canada to Florida. We have stayed in this area before. Hotel was very nice. Great location and extremely nice rooms. Price was reasonable at $114 for the night. I had assumed that breakfast was included (it wasn't; my mistake). There are good restaurant options here if you drive out the front and turn right.

Beds were reasonably comfortable and the hotel was quiet. Would definitely stay here again on the way up or down. Only thing I didn't like was the absence of a temperature control on the fridge but that's a very minor gripe on a hotel that offered good value and comfort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
CourtyardAirport, Manager at Courtyard Charlotte Airport North, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear mackemtripper,

Thank you for your review from your past stay at Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport. It’s a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we made you feel at home. We can’t wait to see you at the Courtyard by Marriott Charlotte Airport next time your travels bring you to Charlotte.

Thanks
Nicole Turza
Assistant General Manager
Atlanta
Reviewed 6 July 2014

After driving several hours my family and I stopped for a good nights rest. I was able to get 2 hours of undisturbed sleep before being awakened by noisy guests starting at 1 am until I could no longer fall back asleep at 3 am. It was bad enough that the bed was not as comfortable as in other hotels of the same quality I've stayed in the past. Having several more hours of driving ahead of me staying at this hotel was the worst decision I made on this trip!!!!! HORRIBLE experience.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Love2Trav31,

Thank you for your review regarding your past stay. I apologize for the issues you occurred during your stay, this is an uncommon occurrence but we will be reviewing the details you mentioned. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you next time your travels bring you to Charlotte.

Thanks