“Horrible Service and Outdated Decor”

Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road
Ranked #87 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel and will not recommend it to my worst enemy. I called the hotel several times before my scheduled check-in date to verify the total cost and their incidentals policy. I was told that the hotel will only authorize my card for the room and tax and 25% for incidentals. When I arrived at the hotel on May 2, 2014, I presented my Visa card which had a balance of more than the total stay amount I was quoted. My card was declined, so I left and went to the atm and transferred funds onto another card, thinking the bank may have declined the card since they recognized an unfamiliar authorization. Once I arrived back at the hotel, I spent another hour and a half going back and forth with the front desk and the hotel's merchant bank, because the 2nd card was declining too. I then called both banks and found out that the hotel was attempting to authorize over $100 more than they should have (even after than authorize monies to cover incidentals). I have been in the hotel industry for more than 15 years and I am well aware of most brands' credit card policy, as it relates to incidentals. The front desk disputed me continuously that they were not over authorizing funds on my card. I even conferenced American Express (My Bank), with the front desk and their merchant bank. There was a male employee there that identified himself as a manager and he offered no suggestions and was extremely timid acting. He did not offer any suggestions nor try to accommodate me as a guest that had ample funds to cover my stay. When I asked to speak to the General Manager, I was told that she (Melissa St. John) was away until Monday taking care of a family issue and was unable to speak with me. However, the Front Desk Agent called her and refused to allow me the opportunity to speak with her. On the other hand, after standing there in their lobby for almost 2 hours, while a traveling companion was waiting at the airport to be picked up by me, the Front Desk Agent offered to check me in with cash. Therefore, I had to use the same card and go to a "No Name" atm, assuming unexpected atm fees and withdraw the cash for the room. They agreed to only authorize my AMEX card for 40.00, which I later realized was inflated to 56.00. Once I got into the room, almost 2 hours later, I was even more disappointed with the outdated décor and lack comfort in the room. The bedskirts were tattered all around both beds and the furniture looked like something from an early 1990's sitcom. I paid 174.00 a night for this suite and had I been able to find other accommodations to comfortably house me and my friends, I would have immediately checked out. I asked that the General Manager contact me and I didn't receive a phone call from her, until I called Marriott Residence Inn Customer Care department. I finally spoke with Melissa St. John a week later and she was extremely rude with me on the phone and placed all blame on me and my bank for the situation. She stated that they would not assist me because I was angry, but anyone would be angry if they have contacted the hotel several times to verify procedures before checking in and being severely inconvenienced without any sense of empathy. I started my Hospitality Management career with Marriott Hotels and I must say that the level of guest service I received during this stay was not exemplary of the Marriott culture and values I was groomed on. I am extremely disappointed that there was no satisfactory resolution to this issue. I was blamed for the mishap by the hotel and Marriott Customer Care. I am not to blame, because I had more than enough to cover the room/tax and incidentals, plus more. I will not recommend this hotel, if it was the last hotel standing. I was embarrassed and my concerns were not properly addressed nor resolved. Melissa St. John, the way you spoke to me is not how a Hotel General Manager, nor a lady should conduct business. Good Luck!

Room Tip: The south side is a quiet area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stay at Marriott's a lot (Rewards Gold), and given the pressure of running one of these facilities, it's pretty rare to find any hotel with such attention to its guest. First an email prior to arrival (from mgmt, not spam) then a written welcome note from the mgr on arrival with bonus gift, then a call from the front desk (becoming pretty rare), then a courtesy visit by staff with with a small gift, and finally a followup email after checkout.

Aside from the mgmt's efforts, the hotel is in a nice quiet neighborhood surrounded by other hotels, check in was fast and efficient with a room ready per preferences in our profile, the staff was friendly and well trained, the evening and morning service cheerful and attentive. Only minor housekeeping problems with wrappers in the stairwell and on the perimeter grounds, but I'm sure these were attended to within a day.

We'd definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
RICharlotteSouth, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South! Our guest's satisfaction is our top priority and we make sure that every guest feels special here at the Residence Inn. We are glad to hear that that was achieved. We greatly appreciate your business as we know that there are many other Marriott hotels to choose from and you chose ours. We never take that for granted. You are a valued Marriott guest. Thank you for your business.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 25 April 2014

A group of us stayed here when in town for meetings.

My room was immaculate. The grounds were well maintained. My room didn't smell of anything at all, and water pressure and temperature were excellent.

Two things that might be addressed, a scary looking inside of the freezer - it was clean, but the vents in the back looked rusty. Also behind what I thought was a bathroom closet door was a funky looking water heater.

The staff was phenomenal. From check-in through breakfast, housekeeping and maintenance staff, everyone was charming. I want to recognize Asha, who professionally handled a loud and unpleasant man at the front desk one evening. She never lost her cool, and the man was very rude.

Breakfast was fine, the manager's evening reception could use more snack variety.

We'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms in old building have fireplaces.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
RICharlotteSouth, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South! We are happy to hear your stay went well and our staff exceeded your expectations. You've made us curious about the freezer vents. Fortunately, those refrigerators will be replaced in our upcoming renovations. Not sure about the funky hot water heaters though :-)

Warm regards,
Residence Inn Management

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Fairly typical RI with usual amenities. Grounds were clean and well maintained. Staff cordial and very helpful. Room was clean and in good repair, save for carpet that was frayed where it ends with the kitchen vinyl flooring. There was no iron or ironing board, not what I am used to at RI. Only glitch was the water control for the bat tub was finicky and required a "special touch" that was shown to me by the security officer at midnight on the first evening. Aside from that, it was a nice stay and a property I will likely return to if travel takes me to Charlotte again.

1  Thank Kerry C

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay with us at the Residence Inn Charlotte South and your review. I'm sorry you were not able to find the Iron and Ironing Board. At our hotel it is located by the closet at the entrance of the room. Since you are not the first to mention the difficulty of finding it, we are looking into placing them in a more visible spot for the guests. Sorry for the trouble but thank you for mentioning it!

Best regards,
Residence Inn Charlotte South Management

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Scheduled a two week stay at the Tyvola Residence Inn on Westpark Road), the property pictures and description looked great and my wife would be joining me. But, I had to leave after one night due to the drab and smelly condition of the Room 314, a corner balcony. There was a strong odor of cleaning solution in the room, which was tolerable and I thought it would subside...but, when I went to bed, I found the cleaning fumes had settled into the pillows, I felt saturated in it.

The pictures of the rooms on the website must have been from another building on the site, because this room and carpet was drab and worn, unworthy of being a Marriot Residence Inn (I am a Rewards Member, and love Residence Inns). It was clearly not what I expected from the website, and I especially wasn't going to let my wife stay in this room, as she is arriving the next day.

There were good things - The staff was courteous, the free breakfast buffet was good, and it had free parking right outside the room. Bad things? Fumes, drab room needing complete renovation, there was dirty linen piled up about 10 feet outside my door, the "corner balcony" was a small patch of concrete that immediately faced a tall fence, and carpet so worn down that I felt a need to wear flip flops in the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bill P
RICharlotteSouth, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Guest,
First of all, thank you for bringing to our attention some things that need attention. Your satisfaction is very important to us.We have taken room 314 out of the inventory so that we can address some of the issues you mentioned. We understand that the hotel is in need of renovations and we are slated to begin them in August of this year. Furniture, appliances, carpeting and much more will be replaced. It will be an extensive renovation. Although it may seem that all the rooms are in this condition, there are many that are not and we would have given you a different room had we of known of your situation. We are sorry about your departure and hope that once we complete our renovations that you will return. We were very happy to hear that the staff was kind and courteous to you and that you enjoyed the breakfast. We will be in contact with you to discuss your stay further.

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed here at this residence inn in Tyvola, and wasn't informed avout the hot water issues. I was late for a very important business meeting, because maintenence had to fix the issues with the hot water. Didn't enjoy the stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank arbl1
RICharlotteSouth, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest,
We are very sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay and were late to your meeting due to some hot water issues. Please contact me at 704-527-8110. Your satisfaction is extremely important to us.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for the second time March 6-8. This stay was in the new building 11 with inside corridors. We had a one-bedroom suite which was in perfect condition. Spotless, in every area, bedroom, kitchen, living area. Fully equipped and everything in working order. Breakfast area and lobby clean and inviting, with breakfast options plentiful. Staff was always pleasant, helpful and professional.
Only drawback is no king sized beds. Other than that the stay was perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Notanewbe
RICharlotteSouth, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South. We appreciate your comments about the cleanliness of the rooms as well as the great staff we have here. We do have some rooms with Kings beds, however, they are in our Bi-Level Suites. We hope to see you again soon!