“Spacious, spotless, good breakfast”

Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road
Ranked #91 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was here for two nights with my daughter, my mother-in-law and a young great-niece. We took a two-bedroom suite in Building 11 so we could spread out and relax. The two-bedroom layout is plenty of space for 4-6 people. I love when the sink area is outside shower/toilet room, as it was here. The faux fireplace is a nice touch while chatting on the sofa. The kitchen was fine - we really didn't use it, except for the cups. The only odd thing was that we had requested a mobility-access room for my mother-in-law, who uses a cane. The shower had a grab bar and the tub side seemed lower than usual (but not zero-entry as stated on our reservation). There were no grab bars with the toilet, nor was it raised, as is usual. I called the front desk and confirmed - yes, it really was an ADA-compliant room. This would be a real challenge for someone in a wheelchair! The room was very clean with crisp linens. Best of all, breakfast was a step up from many free hotel buffets - real scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy, French toast - and strong coffee. Access to the airport is quick, 15 minutes, $25 for a taxi (it is a set fee, not on the meter). I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Building 11 is quieter, since it is on the edge of the property.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
RICharlotteSouth, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for visiting the Residence Inn Charlotte South with your family. We appreciate your review. Thank you for your comments on our clean rooms and good breakfast. That's important t us. Our apologies for not providing an Accessible Room without bathroom handles. We will look into this matter. We hope to see you again!

Best regards,
Residence Inn Management

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My US Airways flight was cancelled at 1 AM! Arrived this hotel at 2 AM and was well taken care of. Night clerk gave me toiletries since I had no luggage and a quick checkin. Breakfast and hot coffee got me started again a few hours later for the airport. Cell phone reception in Room was non-existent.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor of the Residence Inn Charlotte South! We are sorry your flight was cancelled but we were happy to hear our Front Desk Staff was able to meet your needs. We hope to see you again!

Residence Inn Management Staff

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Let me start by saying I’m biased about Residence Inn. It’s my go-to place. Here’s why:

1. They’re the friendliest of the pet-friendly hotels that I’ve stayed. I don’t know if I’ve just been lucky or they train their staff to be extra aware for pets. I like to think the latter. And the $75/one-time fee is among the most reasonable. (that cost was 22 cents a day extra. WINNING!)
2. They have great mattresses.
3. They are usually located in a “safe” neighborhood.
4. The front desk staff has a can-do attitude. They’re responsive and know how to follow-up.
5. Housekeeping does a thorough job. They’re almost always available to meet my schedule, given that I give them a reasonable heads-up.
6. They usually have a really crappy fitness center; therefore, an excuse not to go.

For the review:
Did I mention I’ve been here for 342 consecutive nights? After 342 nights, one can find some flaws. So, yes I did. Let the reporting begin.

We had a few miscommunications scheduling housekeeping; three, maybe four tops in the 342 days I’ve been here. I usually have my room cleaned 3 times a week. That means, around, 2% of the time I had to be flexible. Each of those times, if I’d been more proactive in confirming my sporadic schedule, this would not have been an issue.
Aside…one instance they scheduled a staff member to stay until 6:pm (regularly, and made well-known to the patrons, 5:p was when housekeeping was no longer available) to clean my room.
Aside #2…on one occasion, one of the managers offered to come clean my room.
Aside #3…more than once has a staff member let me know that they could walk Rosco (my awesome dog), if needed.
Aside #4…on separate occasions, two of the staff told me that if I had to leave for an emergency they would be happy to take Rosco (my awesome dog) home with them and pet sit.

Everything worked. Plenty of hot water. This place is QUIET, with well-kept landscaping, visible overnight security (they’re pretty personable, too).

USA Today and Charlotte Observer are available for free in the lobby.

Here’s the downside (or call it my complaints):
1. The parking spaces are about eight inches narrower than the neighboring Crown Plaza (yes, I measured). That may not sound like much, but trust a “Door-Ding Avoider”, eight-inches will surprise you. Also, if you have mobility issues and don’t have a handicap permit, it could be a concern. If you do have those issues, it would be best to request a room close to a proper parking space.
2. There is no way, (even a young, handsome stud like me) can use a luggage cart to move luggage from your auto to your room. Most of the rooms use stairs, the sidewalks are (although painted with yellow warning strips) uneven and ramps up the curb are not common. Which leads us to:
3. Disability accessibility. If you have limited mobility or special needs, specify that when you make your reservations. Do that ahead of time. I think there’s a new section of the hotel (I’m not familiar with that area) and looks logical to accommodate those needs. (However, the desk staff will arrange for delivery of your luggage and other needs. I suggest tipping generously, but that’s just me.)
4. And finally, the breakfast…typical Residence Inn (or many others for that fact), scrambled eggs, meats vary from sausage to Canadian bacon to turkey bacon, bagels, toast, juice, fresh fruit, yogurt, waffle bar, great staff, occasional biscuits and gravy, usually some kind of sausage hash or potatoes and a great staff! Nice breakfast for a weekend with the kids, but for long-term or a romantic couple…not the best idea.

All in all, I doubt that you can go wrong with this hotel. I’m only leaving because my project demands that I move north to Winston-Salam (yes, to another Residence Inn), but if I’m lucky enough to be back in Charlotte, smart money says I’ll be back at this place.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there's any bad locations on this property. Just make sure to let the staff kno...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mbrentdude
RICharlotteSouth, Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

First of all, thank you for staying with us for 342 nights and being so loyal to the Residence Inn brand! It was a pleasure having you and your dog. We thoroughly enjoyed reading your review. Such great detail! :-) We wish you all the luck in Winston-Salem and we really hope to see you again in a few months (fingers crossed!).

Warm regards,
Residence In Management Staff

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We were in Charlotte for a college graduation with extended family. We thought of getting two rooms but instead opted for the suite. It was spacious and comfortable. The first floor had a bedroom with a king size bed and private bathroom in the bedroom. In the living room there was a pull out couch along with a table for four and a kitchenette. A full size fridge, stove and dishwasher were in the kitchen too. The upper level which was a loft had a king size bed, full bath and a vanity area and plenty of closet space. The staff at the hotel were friendly and extremely helpful and tried to do whatever it was to make their guest happy. The breakfast that was included was very good. Usually when breakfast is included it is lackluster to say the least. There were real scrambled eggs, meats, potatoes, make your own waffles, pancakes, cereal, juice, milk, etc. Although I did not use it, I did notice a laundry facility right across from our room and the best part was the hotel is dog friendly and there is plenty of space to walk your dog if you bring him. This is our new place to stay when we're in Charlotte!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Residence Inn Charlotte South! We are happy to hear you liked your accommodations and that the suite met your family needs. We would love to be your home away from home when traveling to Charlotte. We look forward to seeing you again!

Sincerely, Residence Inn Management Staff

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This was the first time I stayed at a Residence Inn, so I can't really compare it to other Residence Inns, but I can compare to stays at similar hotels. All in all I thought they were great. The room was nice, if not overly big. But the best thing about this property is the service. People are really (and I mean REALLY) friendly and go out of their way to give you a good service. Breakfast is also nice. The first morning we had breakfast was really busy with a group of about 25 kids and about 4 adults who were with them. Things were a bit disorganized but even so the staff really tried to keep the place tidy and well stocked. The lady who serves the breakfast area came out with pancakes and was asking everybody if they wanted more. On the second morning, when it was much more quiet, they had real plates and cutlery for breakfast. I thought that made a huge difference. All in all I would give a big thumbs up for this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South! We were happy to hear you received excellent service and the staff was super friendly. Now you can add Residence Inn by Marriott hotels to your hotel preferred list :-). Best wishes to you, Residence Inn Management Staff

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel and will not recommend it to my worst enemy. I called the hotel several times before my scheduled check-in date to verify the total cost and their incidentals policy. I was told that the hotel will only authorize my card for the room and tax and 25% for incidentals. When I arrived at the hotel on May 2, 2014, I presented my Visa card which had a balance of more than the total stay amount I was quoted. My card was declined, so I left and went to the atm and transferred funds onto another card, thinking the bank may have declined the card since they recognized an unfamiliar authorization. Once I arrived back at the hotel, I spent another hour and a half going back and forth with the front desk and the hotel's merchant bank, because the 2nd card was declining too. I then called both banks and found out that the hotel was attempting to authorize over $100 more than they should have (even after than authorize monies to cover incidentals). I have been in the hotel industry for more than 15 years and I am well aware of most brands' credit card policy, as it relates to incidentals. The front desk disputed me continuously that they were not over authorizing funds on my card. I even conferenced American Express (My Bank), with the front desk and their merchant bank. There was a male employee there that identified himself as a manager and he offered no suggestions and was extremely timid acting. He did not offer any suggestions nor try to accommodate me as a guest that had ample funds to cover my stay. When I asked to speak to the General Manager, I was told that she (Melissa St. John) was away until Monday taking care of a family issue and was unable to speak with me. However, the Front Desk Agent called her and refused to allow me the opportunity to speak with her. On the other hand, after standing there in their lobby for almost 2 hours, while a traveling companion was waiting at the airport to be picked up by me, the Front Desk Agent offered to check me in with cash. Therefore, I had to use the same card and go to a "No Name" atm, assuming unexpected atm fees and withdraw the cash for the room. They agreed to only authorize my AMEX card for 40.00, which I later realized was inflated to 56.00. Once I got into the room, almost 2 hours later, I was even more disappointed with the outdated décor and lack comfort in the room. The bedskirts were tattered all around both beds and the furniture looked like something from an early 1990's sitcom. I paid 174.00 a night for this suite and had I been able to find other accommodations to comfortably house me and my friends, I would have immediately checked out. I asked that the General Manager contact me and I didn't receive a phone call from her, until I called Marriott Residence Inn Customer Care department. I finally spoke with Melissa St. John a week later and she was extremely rude with me on the phone and placed all blame on me and my bank for the situation. She stated that they would not assist me because I was angry, but anyone would be angry if they have contacted the hotel several times to verify procedures before checking in and being severely inconvenienced without any sense of empathy. I started my Hospitality Management career with Marriott Hotels and I must say that the level of guest service I received during this stay was not exemplary of the Marriott culture and values I was groomed on. I am extremely disappointed that there was no satisfactory resolution to this issue. I was blamed for the mishap by the hotel and Marriott Customer Care. I am not to blame, because I had more than enough to cover the room/tax and incidentals, plus more. I will not recommend this hotel, if it was the last hotel standing. I was embarrassed and my concerns were not properly addressed nor resolved. Melissa St. John, the way you spoke to me is not how a Hotel General Manager, nor a lady should conduct business. Good Luck!

Room Tip: The south side is a quiet area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stay at Marriott's a lot (Rewards Gold), and given the pressure of running one of these facilities, it's pretty rare to find any hotel with such attention to its guest. First an email prior to arrival (from mgmt, not spam) then a written welcome note from the mgr on arrival with bonus gift, then a call from the front desk (becoming pretty rare), then a courtesy visit by staff with with a small gift, and finally a followup email after checkout.

Aside from the mgmt's efforts, the hotel is in a nice quiet neighborhood surrounded by other hotels, check in was fast and efficient with a room ready per preferences in our profile, the staff was friendly and well trained, the evening and morning service cheerful and attentive. Only minor housekeeping problems with wrappers in the stairwell and on the perimeter grounds, but I'm sure these were attended to within a day.

We'd definitely recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
RICharlotteSouth, General Manager at Residence Inn Charlotte South at I-77/Tyvola Road, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review of the Residence Inn Charlotte South! Our guest's satisfaction is our top priority and we make sure that every guest feels special here at the Residence Inn. We are glad to hear that that was achieved. We greatly appreciate your business as we know that there are many other Marriott hotels to choose from and you chose ours. We never take that for granted. You are a valued Marriott guest. Thank you for your business.

Warm regards,