“Just OK for business traveler”

Hyatt Place Charlotte Airport/Tyvola Road
Ranked #35 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Just OK for business traveler”
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I stayed here for two nights, after arriving at the airport. I didn't have a car, which was a problem, as there is no restaurant at the hotel, just snacks, and the only close ones are fast food places. So if you're looking for a decent place for dinner, it's not easy. There is a sports bar a 12 minute walk away, but if it's raining you're out of luck (Ironically, there's another Hyatt Place right next to it). They have a shuttle, but you better plan plenty of time to get it... both times I tried the wait was over 20 minutes - for it just to arrive. I walked instead.

The internet is another problem. Although they have free wifi, it's pretty slow, and seemed to slow down at night, probably because everyone was using it. This is compounded by the poor AT&T cell service. It's non existent in the lobby, and spotty in the rooms.

On the plus side, they have a very nice continental breakfast, free newspapers including the WSJ, the rooms are spacious and nicely appointed.

But for a business traveler without a car, I'd skip it. You're isolated both physically and digitally.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Colorado
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Had to make a last minute reservation as Delta canceled my flight. Good experience .. only complaint is airport noise... had to be expected. Great friendly staff including the shuttle bus operator.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2010

I was very excited that I got such a great deal on Priceline for this hotel (only $45+taxes). The room was simply amazing; a huge sofa area, coffee bar, desk, enormous tv, nice vanity area, and very comfy beds. Breakfast was awesome, lots of fresh fruit, yogurts, bagels, toast, cereals, and more traditional breakfasts were for purchase. I arrived late at night, they were very accomodating, helped me find something to snack on, and the shuttle service was right on time. My only complaints: there were no snack machines, and the ice machine on the floor was broken. There is only one restaurant nearby and it's a sportsbar, but stays open late. Also, if you're one of these picky travelers, I did find a hair on the counter and one in the tub. Not a big deal to me, it happens.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Atlanta
Reviewed 19 April 2010

I had to wait more than 20 minutes for the shuttle to arrive at the airport after I called upon landing, apparently because someone called in sick and one shuttle was serving both nearby Hyatt Places. But, once I got to the hotel, the stay was fine. The rooms are modern with a comfy L-shaped couch and the best looking TV I have seen yet in a hotel (a 42" flat screen that pivots to either the couch area or the bed). The local channels are all in HD along with several others including HBO and ESPN. There's a switch panel that allows you to plug various devices in (for example portable DVD or laptop) for viewing on the big screen. The hotel is in an office park area. I stayed on a Sunday night and the area was very quiet (I didn't even hear airplane noise). There's a sub place and a Chinese grill in the building in front of the hotel but both were closed the evening I was there, so I took a pleasant half-mile walk down Tyvola to a Jocks & Jills sports bar, which was one of the nicer ones remaining in the chain. This restaurant is in front of the Hyatt Place City Park, so it's important to make sure you have the correct address when choosing these locations. The free Wi-Fi was easy to connect to, although the speed test I ran on my iPhone showed the connection speed was slower than the 3G over the phone. The breakfast fare wasn't elaborate, but the dining area was clean. The morning shuttle left for the airport at the scheduled time. Overall, a very good stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
North America
Reviewed 30 March 2010

This "Hyatt Place" is perfect for business travel. The Hotel is clean, in a safe area, and the rooms are huge, clean, and very comfortable.

I can assure you that you will not find a better hotel for this price. I travel often for business. I always stay in a higher end hotel. This hotel does not have the spa, indoor pool, large bar, or dining facilities that I am used too. However if you are on business, you will agree these features are never used anyway. If you are traveling for vacation, I would not stay here. There is not a lot to do at the hotel, it is very quite. Again perfect for business. The staff here are very accomidating, warm, and so friendly. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to North Carolina for business purposes. Oh, and despite what is said, the wireless internet is FREE! I have rated this a four star simply because this hotel is best suited for business travelers exclusively, and is missing some features that a five star would have e.g. indoor pool (outdoor was closed during my visit), fine dinning, spa, etc. For my stay is was a FIVE star all the way.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 20 March 2010

I stayed here for a day after being delayed at the airport. Airport shuttle was reliable and convenient. The staff here is very friendly and accomodating. The rooms are large but the layout is odd. The bathroom was not quite clean but the toiletries are very nice and fragrant. The included breakfast is pretty basic, you def have to pay for anything more substantial.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Annapolis
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I wa in and out of Charlotte in 24 hours. I've stayed at the Hyatt Place in Roanoke before which leaves a little to be desired, but thought I would give the Hyatt Place Charlotte a shot. I am glad I did! Nice, spacious, clean rooms. The airport shuttle came to pick me up at the airport, and was even willing to transport me to my work location the next morning. When I went to meet the shuttle the next morning, staff informed me that the shuttle had to go to the airport but that a cab was waiting for me and that they would cover the tab! I was absolutely grateful for that. Decent work out facility, and I love the little snack area they have. Quiet, clean, and great customer service. I recommend this hotel without any reservations at all - give it a try!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business